Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Step By Step
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2003, 07:57 PM   #1
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

92-95 civic door upholstery

This is my ghetto experience in doing my doors. The factory gray just wasnt cutting it.

tools:
3m adhesive. (80 series for vinyl)
screwdriver
drill
prybar
rag
vinyl or material of your choice
patience

1: remove door panel, not too hard if you roll the window down and use something like a screwdriver and a rag, a small prybar, etc to pop the ring of poppers around the outside edge of the door off. Do this after removing the obvious screws in the grasp and the latch handles. Unhook the necessary wring harnesses if you got power stuff, or pull out the crank, i have an EX so i donno about that.

2. Curse. a lot. I figured the door would have a simple screw assembly for the middle panel. Boy was i wrong. Get ANYThign you can to pop the TOPS of the rivets off. Take your time and make sure to leave a stub where a screw can go in when its time to reassemble. i cannot stress enough..be careful, the doors arent exactly rugged. i just used a screwdriver and a knife, but others may prefer some sort of drill assembly or even melting them off, all depends.

3. Walk into home depot WITH YOUR DOOR PANEL. Not only because its hilarious, but you also need to find a screw that will fit. I used 1/4" sheetmetal screws and some washers to latch my middle panel back on, but take it in to make sure, its not liek home depot is gonna care. OR anyone else for that matter.

4. hit up the fabric store. I did red vinyl the first time, but soon replaced with black for a cleaner look. also, pick up some 3m 80 series adhesive made for vinyl. 1.5 to 2 yards is more than enough. Just in case you mess up, and you proilly will.

5. There is no easy way to do this other than TAKE YOUR TIME and use a blow dryer, a heat gun might be overkill. The corners of the doors are the hardest, and require 'massaging' and stretchign all over hte place. get some sort of clips as well, set aside plenty of time to do the door. use the directions on the adhesive, and start in the middle of the door and stick the vinyl evenly, rubbing your hands across it, let the door cop a feel from you. massage it with love. The corners require stretching. nad lots of effort, but DO NOT CUT THEM TO MAKE THEM FIT. i tried and it looked like doodoo. The second time around i was jsut careful, use the clips to hold it down where i wanted it, etc. Be patient.

6. after it dries for a while, cut out the holes for all your stuff. make them TOO SMALL because once you cut too big you cant go back, plus itll stretch enough to fit your stuff in. also. make small ones for the holes needed to reattach your panel to the rest of the door. set the vinly section where it goes, get a drill ro screwdriver, put the screws through the washer and bolt the door on, dont get too carried away or youll strip your little nubs and be screwed. not all of them will go in perfectly, youll just have to experiment and again, be patient.

7. once you realize how sexually stimulating your new doors are, bolt them back up and go mack.

Message me for pics or help. SN: daklown33
Old 08-23-2003, 12:57 AM   #2
sc0rch

awesome man.....my dad has a 79 malibu wagon projectcar and he couldnt find good parts to replace some of the interior crap so i was gonna ask you for a little how too and well here it is.....you read my mind
Old 08-24-2003, 08:09 PM   #3
chefmaster21
2nd Gear

pics

hey dude did u take any pics of b4 or after and during or anything???
chefmaster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:29 PM   #4
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/daklow...es/mtsmall.jpg

before i replaced the red with black.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:30 AM   #5
turbodx

I just did mine, but I couldn't get that piece off around the steering wheel to paint it. How did u get it off ??
Old 08-27-2003, 02:53 PM   #6
chefmaster21
2nd Gear

hey shaved what kinda seat r those i think i have the same ones....they look just like that.....so thats a b4 pic that red part know is black???
Old 08-27-2003, 09:41 PM   #7
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

steering wheel is stock color lol. i was talking about the rim that oes around the radio and all the buttons and such. theres like 8 screws behind it that take like a million years and some good tools nad frustration to get out. even harder to put back in. The doors are black now yes. The seats are Driver FX but unfortunately 3a just came out with some lookalikes for much cheaper.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:08 PM   #8
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

that piece is not painted either. IT was upholstered as well, but i took it out and got a new one off a guy who was building a track car around here. Got lucky and scored all kindsa stuff for 20$. ID suggest just buying a carbon overlay or something. Painting stuff is terrible. The only time i ever did it was for my audio console cover because it was gray and my new car had black interior. if youre bent on painting, go to pepboys and get the vinyl paint.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:28 PM   #9
chefmaster21
2nd Gear

yup those are the same seat i have but they are sitting in my parents garage....i can't find bracktes for them...any suggestions..how much did you pay for yours for a set i paid 350 ??
Old 09-02-2003, 07:35 PM   #10
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

i made my own brackets. not hard. Ill tell you on AIM.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:53 PM   #11
chefmaster21
2nd Gear

man that would be great i've had the seats sitting in my garage since may
Old 09-06-2003, 11:54 AM   #12
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

you gotta get on aim for me to tell you dude.

its pretty straight forward though. The only hard part is the seatbelt. The brackets i made i wouldnt trust to hold my seatbelt in, so for the hold in the back corner i got some steel and attatched a bigass carabeaner looking hting thats rated at like 4000lbs. The other 3 are seat bracket places. basically, get some metal strips that are like 2" wide. Steel is best but aluminum will work. try home depot or lowes. ill take pics when i go to my friends house. PRetty self explanatory.