.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2003, 11:42 PM   #1
OPAKRACING

On a mitsubishi eclipse GST, how much can you boost without doing any rebuilding...

...of the engine? Hmm?
Old 04-22-2003, 11:47 PM   #2
juvenile

Change your mind?
Old 04-22-2003, 11:47 PM   #3
nonovurbizniz

you want a gsx not a gst... and LOTS.. you just need to update the fuel delivery to compensate for the added air.

I've heard of people buying them new tearing off the turbo putting on a t20 and running 12's at the track (that was a gst too not the gsx (awd))

My buddies 91 eagle talon was the most impressive car I've EVER been in. including nsx porsche rx7 turbo ii 300zx etc...
Old 04-22-2003, 11:57 PM   #4
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile
Change your mind?

no, my buddy is getting one.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:58 PM   #5
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
you want a gsx not a gst... and LOTS.. you just need to update the fuel delivery to compensate for the added air.

I've heard of people buying them new tearing off the turbo putting on a t20 and running 12's at the track (that was a gst too not the gsx (awd))

My buddies 91 eagle talon was the most impressive car I've EVER been in. including nsx porsche rx7 turbo ii 300zx etc...

do how much can you boost? with stock turbo, and upgraded fuel delivery?
Old 04-22-2003, 11:58 PM   #6
nonovurbizniz

get a 1st gen eagle talon it's different and you actually could have the fastest car in your area for 10-15k.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:08 AM   #7
AzCivic

second gen eclipses are plagued with crank walk so i'd say away from them, at least the earlier ones. i dont know about the 98 & 99's.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:04 AM   #8
Duckydos

Most 'clipses you can boost to about 16psi. Anything over, and you'll be pushing your luck.
With engine management and a new fuel delivery system, you can run 20lbs without any worries.

-Ducky
Old 04-23-2003, 01:44 AM   #9
HndaTch627

i've seen first gen's run 24 psi on the stock turbo(on race fuel obviously with the properly sized injectors)

i also saw one make a pass on 32 psi and lose the rods on the ride home...WHOOPS!
Old 04-23-2003, 06:33 AM   #10
cashizslick

Quote:

The gst will last longer. Launching with an AWD tranny really damages it/wears it down. Although i still would also rather have the GSX.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:56 AM   #11
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

The second gens only hold about 16 psi on a stock turbo since its so small. Bigger turbo, fuel, exhaust, and other minor boltons will get you into the 13 or maybe even the 12s.

As for crankwalk. Its not really as big as a problem as everyone makes it out to be. I know several people that own 2nd gen Eclipses and talons, none of them have or have had problems with crank walk.

For good info about DSM performance parts and what they can handle check out..

http://www.buschurracing.com/
Old 04-23-2003, 08:23 AM   #12
nonovurbizniz

buschur is your ticket to 10's... I friggin jizzed the first time I saw there stuff.

Oh and I've heard that if you clamp down the wastegate on the 2nd gens you can still get 18 psi at high rpm it just blows the turbo much faster... which is a GREAT excuse to get an upgrade...

As far as the awd drivetrain... my buddies had 90 thousand miles on it and I've NEVER seen him launch under 6k... never broke ANYTHING... he may have snapped An axel but nothing more than that... plus there are TONS of aftermarket companies making rediculously stong drivetrain components for those... but buying 3 quaife's instead of 1 is kinda gay.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:44 PM   #13
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:

As far as the awd drivetrain... my buddies had 90 thousand miles on it and I've NEVER seen him launch under 6k... never broke ANYTHING... he may have snapped An axel but nothing more than that... plus there are TONS of aftermarket companies making rediculously stong drivetrain components for those... but buying 3 quaife's instead of 1 is kinda gay.

He should consider himself lucky, my sister-in-laws boyfriend has a 1st gen talon that should be in the 12s easy. I think he just killed his second transmission. The number of races he's had since he put the car backed together is countable on 2 hands I believe. Maybe its just the driver though.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:34 PM   #14
tegsRus

hey... I am his buddy lol. Chosing between the GST and GSX is pritty hard.. I cant decide. The GSX has AWD which in my mind is better. Especially since I have driven my dads subaru WRX .
But I have never heard about a bad transmition on it until now. I plan to race it often and drive it hard. How much PSI does the turbo start at? And is the AWD transmition gonna blow if I run it hard? It would really suck to have to buy a hole new tranni, good thing I am learning about this stuff now.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:54 PM   #15
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by tegsRus
hey... I am his buddy lol. Chosing between the GST and GSX is pritty hard.. I cant decide. The GSX has AWD which in my mind is better. Especially since I have driven my dads subaru WRX .
But I have never heard about a bad transmition on it until now. I plan to race it often and drive it hard. How much PSI does the turbo start at? And is the AWD transmition gonna blow if I run it hard? It would really suck to have to buy a hole new tranni, good thing I am learning about this stuff now.

Das muh buddy /\ /\ /\ hehe

GST. get it and mod the f*ck out of it. it'll be plenty fast.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:57 PM   #16
nonovurbizniz

I think they run between 8-12 psi stock.. you don't want to up that too much w/o added fuel.. larger injectors is a good cheaters route...

your best bet is to go to some talon/eclipse forums.. they will have MUCH MUCH more info and personal experience...

YES my buddy was VERY lucky and probobly the best driver I've EVER come across and I consider myself and EXCELLENT driver. I think that had a LOT to do with the longevity and reliability of his car... he however would say it's all because of marvel mystery oil... He swore by that stuff but I don't know if it was a to be cool kinda thing or if he was serious.. but he did use it in EVERY part of his car that took any kind of oil.. his transfer cases the tranny the engine..

here are some good guide lines to owning driving a turbo car.

1. DO NOT drive it hard then just stop and shut it off... let it cool down for at LEAST 2-3 min while it's parked and RUNNING...
2. DO NOT drive it hard... ie don't slam it into operation like popping the clutch...
3. get a turbo timer or turbo timing alarm because sitting in your car for 2-10 mins while it cools down is gunna get old REAL fast.
4. get a better bov... you don't want to get boost reversion and mess up the turbo.
5. CHANGE THE OIL AT LEAST LEAST LEAST every 3k mi... my buddy did his between 1500 and 3k NEVER more. the oil gets MUCH hotter when it runs through the turbo and it breaks down the additives much faster.
6. NEVER add more boost w/o adding more fuel.

oh and seriously look into buschur... I've never heard a bad word about ANY product they make...
Old 04-23-2003, 11:11 PM   #17
Djsteals

Check out www.racingknowledge.com 90% of the people there are DSM FREAKS

Here is a good thread to get you started there.

http://www.racingknowledge.org/forum...p?TOPIC_ID=200
Old 04-23-2003, 11:12 PM   #18
OPAKRACING

Quote:
I think they run between 8-12 psi stock.. you don't want to up that too much w/o added fuel.. larger injectors is a good cheaters route...

your best bet is to go to some talon/eclipse forums.. they will have MUCH MUCH more info and personal experience...

YES my buddy was VERY lucky and probobly the best driver I've EVER come across and I consider myself and EXCELLENT driver. I think that had a LOT to do with the longevity and reliability of his car... he however would say it's all because of marvel mystery oil... He swore by that stuff but I don't know if it was a to be cool kinda thing or if he was serious.. but he did use it in EVERY part of his car that took any kind of oil.. his transfer cases the tranny the engine..

here are some good guide lines to owning driving a turbo car.

1. DO NOT drive it hard then just stop and shut it off... let it cool down for at LEAST 2-3 min while it's parked and RUNNING...
2. DO NOT drive it hard... ie don't slam it into operation like popping the clutch...
3. get a turbo timer or turbo timing alarm because sitting in your car for 2-10 mins while it cools down is gunna get old REAL fast.
4. get a better bov... you don't want to get boost reversion and mess up the turbo.
5. CHANGE THE OIL AT LEAST LEAST LEAST every 3k mi... my buddy did his between 1500 and 3k NEVER more. the oil gets MUCH hotter when it runs through the turbo and it breaks down the additives much faster.
6. NEVER add more boost w/o adding more fuel.

oh and seriously look into buschur... I've never heard a bad word about ANY product they make...

You said don't drive it hard...ie don't pop the clutch...

then what do you do when your racing a turboed car? i've never driven/owned a turboed car, so i don't know.

And yes, a turbo timer is almost REQUIRED i think, if your serious about keeping your engine and turbo running well for a long time.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:58 AM   #19
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Driving an AWD car takes some skill.. You have to keep in mind that they dont spin like FWD cars do, which means more drivetrain stress. Now if you want bad ass, convert a AWD GSX/TSi into RWD. Thats what a lot of the hardcore DSM dragracers do. Those are the guys running sub-10s though.

Youll probably do more burning up of the clutch until you put in a aftermarket Heavy-duty race clutch. Thats when the transmission problems really start. Replacing the clutch in a AWD Eclipse or Talon is a fun job. I can tell you that from experience.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:06 AM   #20
nonovurbizniz

I mean don't POP the clutch.. like I said I never saw my buddy launch under 6k... I tried to get him to teach me what he was doing because I can't really launch well... I can start normally and beat people who launch if my cars faster but I can't get a good high rpm launch out...

The idea is to just do what you normally do to the clutch MUCH faster... I haven't really tried it that much because I don't/haven't ever owned a car that's all that great for launching to begin with.

IE. civic and a sentra.. and I won't do it in other peoples cars.

But anyway to answer you question if your a good driver and race... you HAVE to launch... I was telling this dude not to do that on the street and driving around to imprss people or to win races... because it's MUCH funnier for somewone to THINK they're beating you on the street... TILL YOUR TURBO SPOOLS. then you whip by them and never shift into a boost free rev range again. so first doesn't really matter in most cases unless your racing from a stop and the other car has a good chance of winning. It just beats up the car and the don't take abuse well w/o serious modification.

And ya what racing rice said ir TOTALLY true.. should definately get a better clutch in there if your gunna be driiving it hard.

best of luck...

OH YA.... what gen????
Old 04-24-2003, 09:18 AM   #21
tegsRus

1995 second gen.. I think. It has the new body style n e ways. Is there anything I can do to beef up the tranni just to make sure?

So far I need : turbo timer, frequent oil changes, racing clutch,
Old 04-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #22
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I believe You can get built transmissions from Bushur, but they are expensive. I would mess with it until it died. Unless you just have money to blow.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:35 PM   #23
nonovurbizniz

tranny's 1900 bucks from buschur.

and ya change tranny fluid regularly and I'd recomend using some expensive stuff too.. like redline or something similar...

is this a 5 speed or auto...
Old 04-25-2003, 01:10 AM   #24
Novtec1

wow...some of this is true and some of it is str8 BS......

1. the reason 2nd gens don't hold boost to well is because the stock plastic bov is no good over 13 psi... easy fix get a stock 1g bov and it will hold up to 18 ..23 if you crush it.

2. with a fuel pump, and fuel pressure regulator, you can safely turn up the boost to 15-16 psi..but you MUST have a aftermarket boost guage the stock one is garbage.

3. 1g's can be made very fast for less than 1k. intake, uicp, boost control, fuel pump... and good driving skills can net you mid to low 13 sec runs.... there are a few guys running stock turbos, sidemounts and injectors running 12's.

4. There are a load of DSM sites.... they even have upgrade routes and vfaq which show you (with pictures) how to make the car faster.

i've been into this DSM thing less than a year but you'll be suprised how cheap it is to make these car fast. i bought my AWD TSI for 700 bucks all it needed was an exhaust.... now it got waaaayyyyy more. i think it was a good investment.. my integra will never be this quick for the amount of money i spent on it.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:47 AM   #25
nonovurbizniz

Listen to him...

go do RESEARCH on DSM boards not here... like I said your not going to get accurate info here.

the best way to learn is from other people's EXPERIENCE with that car. We can try to help all we want but as shown we had NO idea about the stock bov (i've heard it before but it's certainly not a part of my working knowledge.) I'm sure there are a MILION tricks and tips you should know before you start messing with stuff.

good luck.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:31 PM   #26
Novtec1

there are a gang of shops too...turbotrix, extreammotorsports, just do a search.... on msn or just go to DSM.ORG, DSMTALK.COM,DSMTUNERS.COM....sheesh the list goes on..............