::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Kill Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2003, 06:11 AM   #1
Loki

crown vic

Where I had worked over the summer had required me to make about a 45 minute commute to and from work every day. The commute was on a boring 2 lane highway. The traffic flow traveled at anywhere between 45 and 70 mph and the highway opens up for passing for around a half mile stretch once on the whole trip and drops back to 2 lanes the rest of the way. (m43 for those of you who might be familiar with the western region of michigan)

Anyway, past the details of what the road looked like, I was on my way home from work one day on this 2 lane highway when I come up behind some slower traffic which consisted of a minivan and a ford crown vic. Both the van and the crown vic were going slow and were spaced a couple of car lengths apart so I didn't really want to pass the minivan and squeeze in between them and the crown vic because I would then just have to pass again to get anywhere so I just figured I would wait until the passing lane came up in a couple of miles.

The passing lane starts right before a stop light and the minivan and the crown vic stay in the left hand lane so I go into the right hand lane as we all pull up to the red light. I look over at the driver in the crown vic. Its a very old man behind the wheel. His liver spots and old man driving hat made me smile to myself since I was going to get ahead of these bozo's who were driving slow so I could get home and relax and seeing how the slow group of cars is being led by this old man, getting ahead shouldn't be a difficult thing to do. So the light turns green and I take off faster than normal, not fast enough for people to say, "Oh look at that stupid kid trying to act like a hot shot." but faster than most people normally take off, mainly for insurance. Anyway, the old man, driving hat and all, just blows by me like he is on a mission from god!

I was too surprised to even try to play catch up to save the dying shred of my ego. I just chuckled in disbelief and took my place in line behind him as he promptly slowed down to 50 after the passing lane ended and continued to drive excentrically until pulling into a golf course.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:08 AM   #2
vtracer20

damn old people...need to be taken off the streets
Old 10-21-2003, 04:43 PM   #3
94 civic jdmD15b

havent laughed that hard in awile Thanks
Old 10-23-2003, 07:51 AM   #4
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

That's too funny.... Gotta watch those crown vics.... They can move.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:10 PM   #5
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

someone needs two less doors and a new motor.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:16 AM   #6
Loki

LOL. Yeah I hear that. ^^^
Old 10-25-2003, 09:25 AM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

LMAO, i haven't laughed so hard in ages

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 09:05 AM   #8
Rusho
1st Gear

So what yer sayin is you got killed by a Crown Victoria.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:44 AM   #9
Loki

Quote:
Originally posted by Rusho
So what yer sayin is you got killed by a Crown Victoria.

Well...sorta. I didn't really know he was gonna go for it on the green like he did, otherwise I would have tried a tad harder. Then it would have been a bit closer since reaction time to the green would have been completly on my side. But I'm not going to kid myself here, he probably would have caught and passed me by the time the road went back to two lane. The LX rated at a monsterous 106hp is a far cry from being the fastest civic in the honda lineup. The story was merely for entertainment purposes. Hope you and everyone else enjoyed it.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:18 PM   #10
OPAKRACING

crown vics can be savage....for real.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:52 AM   #11
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Yeah they are savages and the MORADER proves it all. Even though it is from mercury which is the same thing as ford. The morader is 3.8 supercharged and it get beat by a v6 accord.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:43 PM   #12
nitrovic

First its "Marauder", and its not supercharged, and not a v-6. It is a 4.6 DOHC engine that makes over 300 hp/tq., and runs high 14's with a competant driver. I doubt if a v-6 accord could beat it, and if you throw in the norm 4.10 gears for 170 bucks, it def. couldnt beat it.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:52 PM   #13
nitrovic

Why would you post something when you have no clue what you are talking about? Is it ignorance or stupidity? There is a fine line between the two. Ignorance is simply not knowing something, stupidity is knowing what is right, and just saying what is wrong. Its got to be one of the two right? What an idiot.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:55 PM   #14
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrovic
Why would you post something when you have no clue what you are talking about? Is it ignorance or stupidity? There is a fine line between the two. Ignorance is simply not knowing something, stupidity is knowing what is right, and just saying what is wrong. Its got to be one of the two right? What an idiot.

You said your piece in your first post.

Stop the name calling.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:23 AM   #15
Loki

I'm pretty sure the new accord v6 with the 6sp manual runs in the 14's stock. I don't know exactly what they are supposed to run but I am pretty sure it is in the 14's. And name calling really isn't necessary.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:34 AM   #16
denzien

The Honda V6 is very nice and peppy. One was able to just about keep up with me to the 45mph speed limit on a straight away one time (I don't speed in town), and had it been longer he would have overtaken me since the 5.0 in my car is all low end torque, and not high end horsepower (160hp @ 4200, 280tq @ 2200). It's also 17 years old on it's original build and I didn't want to push it too much.

The Marauder weighs 4200 lbs without driver. The engine is a 4.6L DOHC V8 and puts out 302hp @ 5750rpm and 318tq @ 4250rpm. The axle ratio is 3.55 and comes with a trac-loc unit, stock.

The Honda Accord weighs 3350 lbs without driver. The engine is a 3.0L DOHC (VTEC) V6 and puts out 240hp @ 6250rpm and 212tq @ 5000rpm. The axle ratio is 4.43, allowing the car to get closer to its power band off the line.

The above numbers are courtesy of www.kbb.com

Car and driver rates the V6 5 speed (auto?) at 15.5 seconds in the quarter mile at 92mph.
Read it at: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....age_num ber=2

Car and driver also rated the Marauder at 15.5 seconds in the quarter at 91mph.
Read it here: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....age_num ber=2

Weight is the biggest killer for the Mercury, it takes low end torque to get a big boat like that moving, but it hasn't got any. 2 mods would make a world of difference (for racing only): 4.10 gears as mentioned above, and a higher stall torque converter, maybe around 2500 (and a BIG transmission cooler). Or you could install a supercharger which would REALLY give it some low-end torque

I've read though, that the Marauders seem to get faster as they are broken in I've seen time slips from drivers of stock Marauders who have run as fast as 14.5.

I have no information about the Honda.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:56 PM   #17
blackdc2

crown vics are decent but not that fast, even the marauder. I have raced dozens of them at the track and they dont move very well at all. all of them with exhaust, driven by hood rats and the like thinking that because they have glass packs that they can beat anything on the street, especially a four cylinder. Its fun taking mine and my girls car to the track and embarrassing them in front of their friends. Everyone turns into Mario Andretti everytime that I come through town. It gets old, but you have to keep beating them down. If you let one go they will tell everone they know that they smoked your ass. I get in at least one race a day especially on the way to work in the morning. someone thinks that they can hold that turn and beat you to the exit and I dont let that happen. I have had rednecks in pickup trucks and soccer moms in minivans jump off the line and try to show me up. I hate it but, after three years in this town, they are starting to slack off. The ones now are the ricers with the weld on mufflers and the apc stickers that think and tell everone that they drive a twelve second car. The only reward is when they ask you what the hell do have in that thing??
Old 12-15-2003, 11:51 AM   #18
denzien

Anyone who goes to the track with a car in stock form either just loves to go out there and push their car, want to set a few benchmarks before mods start happening or are deluded and think their car is fast. Some cars really are fast in stock form - I'm reffering to "normal" cars.

Anyone who puts a loud exhaust on their cars and thinks it makes the car go faster gets a from me. (Not that they'll care)

Anyone who puts a "Body kit" on their otherwise stock car, welds a fart can to the exhaust and drives around like they own the road doesn't earn my respect.

Anyone who puts a K&N filter sticker on their window next to the sticker for their "high performance" spark plug wires without doing any meaningful mods is just cluttering up their visibility.

I think we agree with that.

If you race against some cocky, egotistical Marauder owner who hasn't done a single performance mod to his vehicle, then he hasn't run a real race before and he deserves to have his ego bruised.

Those people are on both sides of the cylinders agrument.

Driving around town in my 17 year old pos, I had one kid in particular pull up next to me at a light in his equally old Honda prelude/civic. I don't know, I didn't see the back of his car. He looks over at me and revs his little N/A 4-cyl at me, and I roll my eyes. Light turns green and he floors it, so I do too. As I pass him up, I gave him a short wave and changed lanes in front of him as they merged into one. When I hit the speed limit of 40mph, I stopped accelerating.

Does this mean I think my car is fast? No way My car in stock form pulls low 18's in the 1/4 mile. Did I realize that even though my car was twice as heavy, from a stop light the "massive" torque my engine puts out would give me an early advantage? Hell yeah I did.

What kind of engine are you running, btw? Does it use forced induction? An interesting note to those who didn't know this/never thought about it is that forced induction basically increases the displacement of your engine. 14.7 pounds of boost (from anything) is equal to 1 ATM, and effectively doubles the displacement of the engine.

I agree that Modern Crown Vics are merely "decent" in their stock form but, just like with imports, the car can be built up to perform better than stock. I know a guy who has a '00 Mustang GT motor with a Vortech S-trim and Vortech Aftercooler, 80mm MAF, 3.73 track-loc rear end in his Crown Victoria. He's making 373 RWHP / 353 RWTQ at 11 psi boost and runs 12.590, a best mph of 110.20, and 1.89 60 ft. time on street tires and no weight reduction (removing things from the trunk, etc).

Now, that's pretty quick. It's not super fast but it's a whole lot better than the morons you and I have described.

What it all comes down to is "what have you done to your car?"

Have you ever heard of the late Turbo Gus? This guy had a Chrysler Minivan with the 2.5L turbo 4-cyl engine. He bumped the psi up as much as he could, then he got a bigger turbo, etc until he was running 27 pounds of boost and ran a 13.184 @ 102.57 mph.

Check out his web site here: http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus2/mini.html (now THAT's awesome)

If those guys with the Marauders made the changes I suggested in my previous post and added a supercharger or other form of forced induction (which is a GREAT addition to any DOHC engine because of their breathing capabilities), they would really have something to brag about.

If the math that 14.7 pounds of boost effectively doubles the displacement of an engine is correct, then Turbo Gus would burn as much A/F mixture as a N/A 7.1L 4-cyl (1.775 L/cyl). The guy with the 11psi 4.6L would have an 8.05L V8 (1 L/cyl)

Okay, I think I've rambled on long enough to obfuscate the point of this post, so I'll just end it.