Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2002, 05:04 PM   #1
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

B16A In a 95 DX Hatch

I drive a 95 DX *Automatic*, I want to replace my engine with a 1st or 2nd Gen B16A, *Manual*... from what i read its cheaper to go with a 2nd Gen B16A in the long run so besides from the Engine, Mounts, Axles, ECU, etc what am i going to need to do this conversion, as far as the transmission is concerned..

I don't know of anyone personally in my area that works on hondas, so the internet is my only source. A couple of questions i have are:

1) How long does a swap usually take if you know what your doing.
2) Am i going to be able to use the current I/H/E i have (AEM cold air, DC 4-2-1 Headers, and Greddy Catback Exhaust)

Yea i know the 4-2-1's are mroe for SOHCs, and i need the 4-1 from the DOHC but for a temporary thing, will it work? Im not sure about the bolt patterns

3) Around how much IS a swap, labor wise? Just a ballpark guesstimate...

Also.. not as important for now but ill need to know in the long run... In order to make the engine FI, what will need to be done to it, besides ditching the intake and headers?

Any help on this would be excellent

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 06:31 PM   #2
ShEaNy

lol ...the only help i can give u is to tell u to go for a B16B or a B18C6 heh theres power....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 07:52 PM   #3
AzCivic

A swap comes with everything you should need, you might have to mess with the shifter console, and you'd probably want a tach, since I don't think automatics have one.

If you know what your doing you could do the swap in a day, if you just kinda know then maybe 2-3 days.

As far as using your current I/H/E: exhaust yes, headers no, maybe the intake if all else fails with that you could just cut it and make it shorter.

The swap will (if done by a shop) will probably cost $3000-$3500 including everything, with about $2500 being for parts.

For FI it depends on how much boost, for like 6psi just bolt on the kit and go.The kit should come with all the fuel components needed. If more then you'll need to replace the internals(pistons, rods, maybe sleeves) for stronger one's, and a better ECU like Hondata.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 08:18 PM   #4
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

Sweet, so $25 bucks an hour is good... my buds uncle does engine swaps on domestics, but used to work with imports and is hard up for cash, so i think i can get it for cheaper... as far as the tranny though... what about the clutch pedal how do i go about that?

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:

Old 08-15-2002, 09:06 PM   #5
AzCivic

Hmmm, i hadn't thought about that. You'll need some extra parts. The mechanic should know what to do. Or maybe someone else on this site knows?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 09:13 PM   #6
90'RS

If your going to put a manual in there your going to need the clutch pedal and all the linkage for it. Then you need to cut a hole into the firewall so that you can get the clutch linkage through. For the parts i'm sure that it's not to expensive but the labor is going to be considerably more expensive. Also if it's a hydro clutch then your going to need all the parts for the hydro system. I'm not sure what all the parts are though. This is going to get very expensive for you though. I hope this helps good luck
Old 09-02-2002, 01:50 PM   #7
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

I decided that im not going to bother switching out my engine. even with all the money its not going to be as fast as i want it to be.. so im keeping her all show no go, and me and a friend are going to build a Supercharged 55 chevy

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:

Old 09-02-2002, 02:42 PM   #8
ShEaNy

LOL wow what a change of heart heh...good luck.
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 10:17 PM   #9
93geesrrr

hey do a b18c-1 it bolts in if you have the tools and knew what your doing you could do it yourself in a day go to the hybrid site and there are directions on how to do it screw the fifty five its dope and all but i could make something just as fast and be able to corner, brake and have great gas millage with reliability. for about 2500