::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2002, 05:52 PM   #1
crx swap

Need Input from you guys

Ok...heres the deal...i have an 89 CRX si that is motorless...the plans i have for it are to go for the sleeper look...as far as performance...i am looking at all motor now...with the possibility of F/I down the road...what motor would be a good option for what my intentions are.... I kinda am stuck between a B16a2---B20vtec(b16a head)....or a b16a1.....any suggestions?????

PS..I am already set on an Ls tranny with a GSR fifth and final drive gear...so that aspect of it is taken care of....
Old 09-14-2002, 11:39 PM   #2
slowEJ6

why an LS tranny??? just get the whole GSR transmission.

anyways, b20vtec. be sure whoever builds it, does it RIGHT though.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 12:10 PM   #3
crxb16hybrid

Go for a b16a1 over the a2 ....the a1 has the cable tranny as to were the a2 has the hydrolic tranny.......Which means more money to fix ......The b16 is a great motor to build on if yur wanting somthing bigger i would go with the b18 which has more torque.........Plus the b16a is a simple install.....Since you have the si there are only I think 4 wires you have to add...........
Good luck and keep us posted ...
TY
Old 09-18-2002, 12:25 AM   #4
slowEJ6

simple install yes, but a b16 cant hang with a crvtec setup unless its got quite a few mods.

b18 > b16
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 08:59 AM   #5
crxb16hybrid

Yes mos deff I would agree the B dub is one hell of an engine.....If built properlly .......Ive seen so many people piss away money on a B dub setup that wasnt built properlly....But if you got the cash go for the B dub... My freind has one in a hatch back that thing is sick .........

TY
Old 09-18-2002, 03:52 PM   #6
crx swap

yeah i was hearing alot of problems can come out of a b20 setup...but like what are the main problems people are having..i was planning on having it built ground up (forged psitons and rods)..that kinda shit...what are the problems peeps are having???

btw...thanks for all the input so far!!!!
Old 09-18-2002, 04:04 PM   #7
crxb16hybrid

The main thing I hear about is just poor performance over all...Obviouslly the people who built them didnt have a clue as to what they were doing.....My freind that has one has had good results though he spanks me every time we run....If your gonna build it or have someone build it just make sure they know what there doing see if they have other kats they built them for and find out if they were happy......
Old 09-18-2002, 04:59 PM   #8
crx swap

well the shop thats gonna be building my motor has never done a honda motor before...they've had great success with mitsu motors and have built a few ztec motors as well...so i am pretty confident they will work wonders on any motor i give them...also...does you guys know of any places online i can find a b16a head and ecu?? i am have a bit of trouble finding one for a reasonable price....thanks
Old 09-19-2002, 08:57 AM   #9
crxb16hybrid

Your best bet is on ebay I always see ecus on there and sometimes a b16head or parts for one.....
Good Luck
TY
Old 09-19-2002, 12:05 PM   #10
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

If you get A CR-VTEC, don't plan on it lasting very long, no matter who builds it.

I'm getting rid of my Integra and getting a CRX project car. Plans are on the DL, but count on an H22A and low 10 sec ETs, in street trim. The problem with the H22 is streetability.

If you're looking to keep streetability, I'd go with a B16A, B17A, or B18C, and bore it out to get some extra displacement. In the end, you'll have a much better engine that will last much longer when compared to CR-VTEC. It will rev higher, safer, making more power.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 06:40 PM   #11
kickuaround

cr/vtec/turbo
Old 09-21-2002, 09:09 AM   #12
crxb16hybrid

Yeah what they all said........