::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2002, 01:57 AM   #1
rakugaki

crap...

help! I just bought some subs to get buy, but anyway i'm confused about wiring kits since I'd like to wire my amp myself (of course i can do it! ).

I keep seeing in the store like a 10gauge amp kits that only can go up to 100watts, but then online i see 10guage amp kits that go up to 800watts. Is there a trick here, is the one in the store just as good as the one online (they're both no name brand)??

BTW I have 2 12" Linear Audio's (generic i guess) a 400watt RkFsgt amp and a nice bandpass box.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:04 AM   #2
Maxvla

10 gauge amp kit should take you up to 200-250W more than that your lookin at 8 gauge or bigger.

wiring an amp is fairly easy it just takes a while to run all the wires and crimp all the connections. and yes... get some actual connectors don't just twist the wires together and electrical tape it.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:39 AM   #3
black95gs-t

a much more reliable connection than crimping is getting a butane cigarrette lighter and some solder and soldering and taping the connection. if done right it will NOT come apart.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 05:59 AM   #4
Maxvla

yeah but average joe crimping isn't even done much...
Old 04-18-2002, 09:40 AM   #5
rakugaki

i guess bigger is better, thanks! i use crimps since i don't know how to solder, crimpings a ***** though. what about those Oxygen free RCA cables? would you guys recomend those? My friend keeps tellimg me to look for those since they produce a cleaner sound.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:40 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well a soldering gun is tot too hard to use and is relatively cheap. at radio shock it is like $13 for a pretty decent one

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 05:03 PM   #7
black95gs-t

i agree with that but a butane cigarette lighter is about 5 bucks and all you need to do is twist the wires, put the flame on them for a couple of seconds then add the solder. if you are using the rca's for base you won't be able to tell the difference between a $10 pair and a $50 pair. unless you have a very sensative ear. make sure you get 20 feet worth though.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote