Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

"Anything to better yourself P$"

Thats what my friend told me, just the other day.

Ive been super iratable lately, like the smallest thing will set me off. IE- My sister likes to put the toilet paper on the roll backwards. Now, a normal reaction would be "Agh damn" and one would just flip it over.
Lately, my reaction is, yell, get pissed pull it off the wall and throw it across the bathroom (truely, a bad idea when I need that toilet paper...)

Anyway, so on the suggestion of my friend, I made an appointment to see a therapist, which I met earlier this evening. The time consisted of me answering all sorts of silly questions, meeting a psychiatrist named Shuja, paying $14 at the counter, and then heading to the pharmacy for antidepressants... Thats right, I go for being pissed and they decide I need to fight this with a total blockage of my synapses and become filled with glee at the sight of the toilet paper being on the roll backwards.

Now, am I the only one who sees this as a gross misuse of the rx wielding power? Im on these things for the next 3 weeks minimum, and am starting as soon as I finish this post. (ugh, they taste awful!)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Seems like a cheap way out to me. What ever happened to analyzing the problem and actually fixing it.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I hear ya Pat. I just started the same sort of thing...except mine was for the booze. Or rather to find out why I drink so much in the first place. What'd they put you on? They stuck me on Lexapro (along with a weekly 1 hour visit with the campus shrink)...it was really weird for the first 3 days or so, but I'm actually starting to feel a bit better. SSRI antidepressants are always weird like that. Tricyclics have always worked well for me, but most metabolize in your liver and...well...I'm already over-working my liver.

I'm not entirely sure drugs are what you need...but maybe it's worth a shot.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:24 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

really sucks to hear that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Seems like a cheap way out to me. What ever happened to analyzing the problem and actually fixing it.

our psych teacher told us that the insurance co's won't pay for therapy anymore, you will have to get drugged up

now for pat: try to get laid, that will relieve some tension.
ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:31 AM   #5
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
our psych teacher told us that the insurance co's won't pay for therapy anymore, you will have to get drugged up

That's why being in college rules. I pay $15 for a 1 hour session...and some of that is even covered by my insurance. As long as you stay away from psychiatrists you're usually ok. Those fuckers will charge up to $500/hr.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 10-20-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
Mischief

kick someone's ass, that relieves anger

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
pdiggitydogg

Yeah lexapro...and I do NOT like the way it made me feel at all.
I had a total lack of responsibility, brain on repeat (thought about the same things over and over), couldnt focus, very tired but unable to sleep, headache, neck pains, very weird sense of touch.
Then, since most antidepressants eliminate one's sex drive, I tried to think about girls...guess what? Didnt care! ...I didnt like that either.

Ive decided to completely forget the pills...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
sicones

I think you need a girlfriend...not pills
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
pdiggitydogg

youre probably right, but one night of fun would probably cover it
Im feeling more like myself finally, nearly 17hrs after I took the pill...
Old 10-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i hate to break this to you,but you are a nut case j/k. i hope it all goes well with you soon.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #11
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
Yeah lexapro...and I do NOT like the way it made me feel at all.
I had a total lack of responsibility, brain on repeat (thought about the same things over and over), couldnt focus, very tired but unable to sleep, headache, neck pains, very weird sense of touch.
Then, since most antidepressants eliminate one's sex drive, I tried to think about girls...guess what? Didnt care! ...I didnt like that either.

Ive decided to completely forget the pills...

Yeah...the first three days were really rough for me. After that I sort of got back to normal. Either way you go...pills or not...it's always rough at first.

Old 10-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #12
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
i hate to break this to you,but you are a nut case

Well we already knew that!

Yeah Steve, I was told that the first few days would be strange, but that tied in with the fact that I dont feel that I should be taking them anyway, really puts me off the whole idea.
I know Ive got problems and I dont think covering it up with a pill to make me happy is going to fix them; its just going to make me feel better and therefore become more susceptible to suggestions made during therapy.
Really, what I think I'll do is not take them, do the therapy and if I decide that its not helping, down the road, I'll have them already (in conjunction with talking, I mean). Id rather work this a step at a time, if anything.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:10 PM   #13
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I hear ya man. I was doing the talk thing for about a month before medication even came up. By that time I figured it couldn't hurt to try. My main problem is boredom. I have literally NOTHING to do and this town doesn't make matters any better. I get bored and my mind wanders...not necessarily to good places. That, and I over-analyze things. Combine that with all the smoking and drinking and it's just not a pretty picture. One thing I will say for Lexapro is that it's definitely one of the cleaner SSRIs out there. Something like Paxil or Zoloft probably would've fucked you up a lot worse. At least you know that you've got it if you need it down the line. You might even be better off with a tricyclic. I used to take Desipramine and that worked really well...but it's an old drug and a lot of doctors don't prescribe it much anymore. I've also heard good things about Cymbalta (aka Duloxetine). Man...there's way too many drugs out there.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:21 PM   #14
pdiggitydogg

Oh no kidding...the drug industry is ridiculous with this sort of thing.
Whatsgoing on with you is similar to what I went through my first year at school, which is why I transferred to a school near home. There was nothing to do there but go to parties and get wasted...after awhile I got tired of that and just ended up sitting around by myself all the time.
Maybe just a different school would be better for you? I dont have any idea whats around your area though...
Old 10-20-2005, 09:16 PM   #15
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well if I stick with the auto tech thing this school is pretty much the only game in town. There's a community college 10 minutes from my mom's house in KC, but the best I could get there would be an associates degree...and I don't even have a clue what I'd get it in. Probably psychology...but what the fuck can you do with an associates in psych? There's KU...which is about 45 minutes or so from home, but again, I have no idea what I'd take and the class sizes there are ridiculous (I have a friend who had a lecture class with 1500 kids). I think my biggest problem is that I'm 24 and I have absolutely no idea what I wanna do.