::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2002, 04:10 PM   #1
mcdaigle

Why wont my car start

I have a 1992 Accord that wont start sometimes. It seems to occur after filling my tank or when the car is warm and i shut it off, then right after shutting it off i try to start it and it wont start. The car is good shape, and has a remote car starter does that have anyting to with it. Has anyone else had a problem like this. A garage told me that there was nothing to do about it but the problem seem to be getting worse it occurs more and more frequently now. Any help would be great.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:41 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the 90-93 accords are notorious for that problem. it is the EFI relay. it's underneath the dash, masked by some other gray relay. the relay i'm talking about is brown. the new part costs about 65 at a honda dealer but it can be easily fixed. what happens is that the solder is comming off the main board, so it won't make good contact, causing the car not too start. if u are handy hit a soldering gun you can save yourself $70. i gotta go look at my car cause i can't remeber how i took the stuff off.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:51 PM   #3
mcdaigle

Hey thank you and yes if you could check for me and tell me about where it is that would be great and what part i needs to be soldered would also be greatly aprresiated
Old 09-30-2002, 05:14 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it's on the driver's side underneath the dash. there is a bigger gray box there that's held in place by some 10mm screws (3 or 4). you need to remve the screws and the box will drop. yous should be able 2 see the brown relay. try pulling that out (it's pressed in there so it will require some muscle to take it out). after you take it out removethe brown casing and get a magnifier and look for loose connections. solder them and put it back toghether. you shouldn't have anymore problems.

Old 09-30-2002, 05:51 PM   #5
mcdaigle

Thanx a lot, ill keep you posted on weither it works or not
Old 09-30-2002, 06:03 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

k man

Old 09-30-2002, 11:15 PM   #7
doownek
1st Gear

i had a similer problem with my 90 accord ex. my problem was it would not start when it was warm(hot) inside the car..... it turned out to be the main relay, as allready has been menstioned. i took mine out and re-soldered all the joints and its not had a problem since(about a year now) the descriptions are right on as to the location.... heres a site you can look at if ya want tells ya where that relay is(under the cruise control unit)

http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelaydefine.htm

http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelaysolder.htm this one tells ya how to solder and drill vent holes..... id did NOT drill the holes, just soldered it all up and it beeen working great ever since.....

everything i had said, has already been said, but hopefully the website helps...

doo
doownek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:02 PM   #8
VRGNCD5

would the same be true for a 5th gen accord? I'm having the same problem, only mine won't start when it's very cold outside and it's sat overnight. It's happened 3 times in the last 2 years, first time I push started it and it was fine until a month or so ago. That time, after letting it sit for about 10 minutes after seeing it wouldn't start up, I tried again and it fired right up. Now it's not cooperating at all
Old 01-08-2004, 04:59 AM   #9
AkimboStylee

^ that might be a battery that is going bad, if you it might say that there is enough juice but the cold cranking amps aren't there anymore, take it to auto to have them run a diagnostic check on your battery, it wont cosy anything