.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
armyguy5
3rd Gear

i'm outta ideas help

Well my friend said his 700 mhz amd duron would start up. so i took the computer from him and it comes on but the HD doesn't spin up...so i hooked my hard drive to it and it wouldn't boot or even spin.....sooo here's my question? is it because of a bad power supply to the HD or is it the board??? or something else?? Thanks

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:18 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Can you get to the BIOS? You can do that w/o a HDD. Did you try changing IDE cables? Did you try changing IDE channels (plug into the other IDE slot)? Did you try another power connector?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #3
armyguy5
3rd Gear

no i'll probably do tghat this weekend.....it doesn't do jack $$$$ i cant get to bios

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
Old 01-14-2003, 08:36 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well i think it''s a power issue there. did he try messing with the cables earlier on ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:39 PM   #5
armyguy5
3rd Gear

no he doesn't know about computers...i'm gonna try and switch the power cables and the IDE cable this weekend since it's a 4-day whooo hooo lots of beer! anyone wanna party? got the raise to...i love the government...well kinda

chris
Old 01-14-2003, 08:39 PM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

does the computer do anything at all?

even if the harddrive isnt working you should beable to get into bios.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:12 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by armyguy5
no he doesn't know about computers...i'm gonna try and switch the power cables and the IDE cable this weekend since it's a 4-day

Don't bother. If it won't get the BIOS, its not a drive issue. Try swapping PSUs, or check the existing PSU with a multimeter to make sure the 12V and 5V rails are accurate.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:35 PM   #8
Maxvla

even bad rails will function to a certain degree. if the psu turns on the computer will spin the HD unless the wiring is fried or something... which doesn't usually happen without the entire psu putting on cement boots.

try another psu. even a lower power one will be fine for testing. just don't go below 175W or so.

this is definately a psu issue as the HD gets power directly from it and none of the rest of the computer parts have any say in whether the HD spins while booting. you could have a psu and a hard drive completely void of the rest of the computer and you could (after some psu wiring mods to allow it to turn on without the mobo) turn it on and the HD would spin right up assuming you had a good psu.

sorry for the long winded psu/hd talk. just trying to get the point across that the HD spin is completely independant from EVERY other computer part besides the psu.