.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2002, 09:55 AM   #1
Boosted3g

how 2 run 2 hardrives in the same case

I have a spare 20gig hd and i want to put it into my current case. Any ideas how to do it. My buddy told me how but i cannt remember. I have good memory its just very short term.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:20 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Yes, since you're just doing a simple setup, you should have two IDE cables coming from the motherboard. Find the first one (labeled IDE0 usually). This should already be plugged in to your first harddrive. Hopefully this has two connectors on that harddrive end, if not, you'll have to buy a new cable (assuming you're using IDE1 for your CD drives--- you want to keep CD drives and harddrives on different IDE channels).

There are jumpers on the back of your harddrives. Since I don't know how old of a setup you have, I'll give you a way that will always work. Set the jumper of your main drive to master and the jumper on the spare (secondary, no OS) drive to slave. Plug the IDE cables in and power them up

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 12:00 PM   #3
Boosted3g

Damn that sounds sort of complicated. The computer is only 3 weeks old. I already have a huge hard drive i jsut want to use this for MP3s. If i do this is there any way i can direct all the MP3 downloads to the secondary drive.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:05 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

OK, I said too much in my first post. Its VERY easy. Look for the IDE (ribbon-like) cable going to your HD. If it has another connector on it, just set the jumpers on the drives like I said above and plug it in. Add power and you're good to go.

Old 12-21-2002, 12:09 PM   #5
Boosted3g

sounds cool, ill let you know i make out. I dont know shit about computers i just usually take them apart and jsut do the ol' trial and error process. I just dropped nearly 3K for just my tower so i dont want to do that.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:44 PM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Boosted3g
sounds cool, ill let you know i make out. I dont know shit about computers i just usually take them apart and jsut do the ol' trial and error process. I just dropped nearly 3K for just my tower so i dont want to do that.

Just take your time and make sure you are grounded. It only takes milliamps to fry components.

But like 94_AcCoRd_EX said, its alot easier than you think. Just set the jumper on the rear of the 20GB to slave(should be marked. if not tell me what mfg. it is and I can tell you). Check the drive you have in there and see what its set to. If its set to master you're good to go. If its set to cable select, you'll need to set your 20GB to cable select as well.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:40 PM   #7
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Boosted, If you can take a car apart computers are cake!

Seriously though, its just what the other guys said. Just take a minute to look at it and itll be clear as mud.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:50 AM   #8
Boosted3g

Yeah after just looking inside the case i think in jsut gonna take it to a computer shop and ask them to do it. 20 gig is sort if small so i may jsut get a larger one. With all the christmas specials going on it wont be that much to just get another 80 gig to add on. I have to have them help me hook up my other computers to my network. I got all the stuff to do it now i just need it hooked up. I love playing unreal or counterstrike with a bunch of people.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:51 AM   #9
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Setting up a network is not that hard. You really ought to try it yourself. If you have them set it up, you'll have to call them every time there is a problem. But if you have that kind of cash then I guess that's ok.

Here's some basic articles. I'm sure there are a ton more.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;250927

http://www.linksys.com/faqs/default.asp?fqid=20
http://www.linksys.com/faqs/default.asp?fqid=17
http://www.linksys.com/faqs/default.asp?fqid=16
http://www.linksys.com/faqs/default.asp?fqid=18
http://www.linksys.com/faqs/default.asp?fqid=36
Old 12-22-2002, 01:43 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Computer shops rip you off. I really think you can do all of this yourself. I'm talking about a 3-4 minute job here. It is SO much easier than you think.

And let us help you with the networking thing. Its pretty easy actaully.

Old 12-23-2002, 01:06 AM   #11
ShagginJet

3-4 minutes is long... lol

It's a real simple process. You can find a step by step walk trough on the net. Goto www.google.com and search for installing a secondary hard drive, millions of results come up.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 07:28 PM   #12
Boosted3g

i checked and found some good sites on google. I also took a trip out to office max and looked at some of the connections and found a calbe that is for adding a second hd and it dont look bad. I think im gonna try it.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:46 PM   #13
a96710

I did the same thing like a week ago...added a 60gb hard drive. It is pretty easy
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 03:38 PM   #14
armyguy5
3rd Gear

yea just got a 60 gig hard drive for xmas.......boosted you can do whatever you want with that hard drive man. its just like having a hard drive...you have files download onto the second HD. Mine i download for here but store on a different computer. Yea i'm a computer geek (guess u gotta be when u want to major in computer science) and i just picked up battlefield last week whoo hoo and best buy has a maxtor 7200 rpm 120 gig for $120 a dollar a gig not bad

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:03 PM   #15
Boosted3g

I went to put it in and i thought while i was in there i might as well get some thign bigger. I went to office max again and got a 120gig for 169 bucks and threw that in. I still have another spot for another hd so incase i ever fill up 200 gig i have room to grow. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:08 PM   #16
munky185

Quote:
Originally posted by Boosted3g
I went to put it in and i thought while i was in there i might as well get some thign bigger. I went to office max again and got a 120gig for 169 bucks and threw that in. I still have another spot for another hd so incase i ever fill up 200 gig i have room to grow. Thanks for the help guys.

Glad to see a DIY install. Your local puter shop probably woulda charged you hellacious amounts of money for what you just did, as 94_AcCoRd_EX stated in an earlier post. How's the networking coming along?

I play counterstrike a lot too. What's your favorite server(s) to play on and what's your name on there?? I might see ya around in there sometime.