::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
juvenile

My room + Home Theater system

The complete specs of the home theater are as follows (some may have heard about a few already)

TV:
Sony 32FS120 flat screen tv (32")
Matching Sony Stand (though it's a 27" fitted to the 32...looks great except the shelves aren't deep enough. I had to take the buttons off my receive and the doors just barely touch the magnets. Damn sony engineers made it cave in too much)

Sound:
Kenwood VR-7070 THX Certified surround sound receiver
Infiniti P250 tower speakers
JBL PB12 12" powered (~250-300 watts) sub
Phillips dvd player (supports divx/xvid/vcd/svcd)
Nintendo GC (got for bday)
Sennheisser RS-45 Wireless headphones phones

The couches in my room are old furniture from downstairs.

Sorry for the pic quality. I tried my best to get the picture to be good without flash. I try to use flash as little as possible. Hope you all enjoy. Post pics of your room (and home theater system (doesn't matter if in separate room, I just enjoy looking at setups) if possible. Oh and the specs also).
Old 10-16-2004, 12:03 AM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

That's pretty good looking...except for the Gaycube. I don't have much in the way of a home theater system. My room's too small for a decent TV here in the apartment. The closest I can come is my 5.1 surround system on my computer. Hell...even the TV in the other room doesn't come close to the way that sounds with the Soundblaster Extigy card. But that's no suprise since it's a crappy Apex model. Nice thing around this system is that it can be hooked up to TVs....I may just do that when I can afford a second setup.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:07 AM   #3
juvenile

Apex....oh god! I sold too many of those and heard too many horror stories *shudders*. Though for a few people it seems to run ok so far... and yes... the soundblaster extigy puts out digital 5.1 sound (I think it can do up to 7.1 though I'm not too sure). No wonder you're getting crystal clear sound pretty much.

Regarding the gaycube (lol, haven't heard that yet). Yes it's worse then ps2 or xbox but it's still pretty good. I don't play enough games atm to warrant the other two. Though when they drop in price again in anticipation of the other releases, I might pick one up. This has decent games too. Right now I'm playing True Crimes, streets of LA. Have to finish Need for speed high stakes, metroid prime, a give away disc with 4 old zelda games, and some other rpg I pikced up for 3 bucks (lost worlds 2 or something like that)
Old 10-16-2004, 12:24 AM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile
Apex....oh god! I sold too many of those and heard too many horror stories *shudders*. Though for a few people it seems to run ok so far... and yes... the soundblaster extigy puts out digital 5.1 sound (I think it can do up to 7.1 though I'm not too sure). No wonder you're getting crystal clear sound pretty much.

Regarding the gaycube (lol, haven't heard that yet). Yes it's worse then ps2 or xbox but it's still pretty good. I don't play enough games atm to warrant the other two. Though when they drop in price again in anticipation of the other releases, I might pick one up. This has decent games too. Right now I'm playing True Crimes, streets of LA. Have to finish Need for speed high stakes, metroid prime, a give away disc with 4 old zelda games, and some other rpg I pikced up for 3 bucks (lost worlds 2 or something like that)

Yeah...the first Apex TV we got (same exact model) went back after the first month because from the sound it was making I could tell the tube was about to blow. I called their customer service line to see if they'd cover it under warranty. They said they'd check my area for repair shops and get back to me. They did actually call back...around 4 or 5 months later. But the people at WalMart (there's no electronics stores here...that's all we've got) were cool about taking it back. 7.1 channel shit rules. I helped my uncle install a 7.1 system in his basement along with about $10K-$15K worth of home theater stuff (including the 50-something in flat screen) and it shakes the whole damn house. Oh...and as for the "gaycube" reference...to my knowledge I just made it up. I'm so awesome. I should be king.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:58 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

rug on the wall...I like it
I used to have that gotenks poster too!

I used to care about my 5.1ch system. Now its just "eh...yeah its alright"
I need a new tv pretty badly, it turns green if bright white stays on too long...but I might as well wait for full hd conversion takes place.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
drdingo21

That looks good.

Since your posting yours, im gonna post mine (just got the TV!)
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

nice setup... im working on mine at the moment. need speakers and im completly setup

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
juvenile

pdigg...are you sarcastic about the rug or are you serious?
dingo...cool, post pics when you get a chance.
Chris, what do you have atm?
Old 10-16-2004, 06:27 PM   #9
Kyle
elyK

cool room...and the gamecube really isn't a bad system at all...a few good games with pretty good gameplay

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:59 AM   #10
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

ive got a 24' flatscreen, some nice sony reciever i dont know the modle of, xbox, dvd, record player, cd player, then 4 semi crappy aiwa speakers. i had a nice 5.1 bose system on it last year but my roommate that moved out owned the speakers and took them.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:33 PM   #11
Grip72

i bought an Apex tv and i have no complaints so far...
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 04:03 PM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

your computer is missing

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 04:05 PM   #13
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

yes, I like the rug on the wall idea
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 04:30 PM   #14
juvenile

cool, I might start a trend here
Chris, that's pretty good. That's what I would have had, had I not gotten these discounts. The Bose is pretty good for such small speakers. They're not the best but they're good for style/performance.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:07 PM   #15
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

the bose were absolutly amazing... if i had they spare $700 or so that setup cost i would buy it instantly. i think i want to get a few good surround speakers... maybe the $150 bose mini's and a nice sub then i'll be set

Old 10-18-2004, 02:44 PM   #16
CD5Passion

so all you have is tower speakers? I'm gonna be getting a system for my room but I'm definatly going with a onkyo system 5.1 system because it's a good price for what I get (with discounts) plus Onkyo is some topnotch shit
Old 10-18-2004, 03:03 PM   #17
juvenile

Onkyo is pretty good too yeah. ATM it's only towers...I'm gonna get the rest of the package to make it 6.1 for christmas. Are you getting towers btw or satellites?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #18
CD5Passion

satellites
I think the one I might get is the Onkyo HTS-570 but I'm not certain, forgot to check the model number at work, ill have to ask my friend
Old 10-18-2004, 04:50 PM   #19
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

ive decided on getting 2 really good satalites and a center speaker. my 4 home audio speakers(2 and 2) ive got hooked up now sound good enough as tower setup.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:24 PM   #20
4g63t
2nd Gear

I'm only 17 so i am definetely happy with the set up in my room. 27" sony trinitron, samsung dvd player with mp3, maranz high current amp, yamaha a100xt towers, and a 12" klh sub. Then i have my big couch. I used to have a ponieer 5 disc dvd player and jvc amp, but i've updated since the picture.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:33 PM   #21
juvenile

That's a kickass setup too. How do you like the klh sub? Have you had any other experience with other subs to compare between the two?
Old 10-18-2004, 10:13 PM   #22
Kyle
elyK

dude...you guys are so lucky...my whole life i've never been allowed to hang up anything or put my room the way i wanted it to be...in fact i finally got to have a tv in my room after 17 years...fucking controlling parents...they always have to have things the way THEY want them./end whining

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 10-18-2004, 10:44 PM   #23
juvenile

Did you pay for things though or did they? For a fairly long time now, I pay for majority of the things that are in my room. The whole H/T setup is all paid by me. Actually, even the tv in my dad's room was a present from me. Maybe that could be the reason? (I'm not sure of your situation so I won't be generalizing too much)
Old 10-18-2004, 10:47 PM   #24
AzCivic

are there any dvd's that have 6.1 or 7.1? all i ever see is 5.1.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:24 PM   #25
4g63t
2nd Gear

I know you werent asking me if i payed for my stuff. But yea, i did. I got that klh sub for $50 on blowout and it sounds really nice. The yamaha towers i got at sears for 160 on clearence even though they sell for 300 a pair. The tv and maranz amp were only 200 together because my sisters fiance sold them to me cause he needed all the money he could get.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:44 PM   #26
Kyle
elyK

been working since 13..did yard-work for money before that...parents never bought me anything(obviously exagerating, but you know what i mean)

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 10-18-2004, 11:49 PM   #27
juvenile

7.1 no. Any 7.1 setup is a "fake" setup more or less. What I mean by this, is that the best you can get is 6.1. What the receiver then does is takes the signal available (5.1 or 6.1 discrete signals (meaning a dedicated signal to each speaker)), and creates it into two "matrix" rear channels, meaning it calculates how the sound would be in the left rear speaker and the right rear speaker if there was a real 7.1 setup and distributes them appropriately. To simplify, it basically either splits the rear center channel of the 6.1 setup, or splits the left channel and the right channel of the 5.1 just to create that "Travelling surround sound effect" from the rear speakers.

Just to show the difference, in a real 6.1 setup playing on a 6.1 system, each speaker gets a dedicated sound specifically allocated to it by the DD (Dolby Digital) ES or DTS EX 6.1 signal. So each the signal has a specific sound to play from each speaker at each time.

Regarding your question about dvds, yes whenever you see a special edition that's marked DD ES or DTS EX that means it has the capability of playing 6.1. There are only a handful or dvds out there.

If you're playing a 5.1 dvd in a 6.1/7.1 system, the same procedure applies as I explained above.

I'm am pretty sure in most of what I have said here though as always I can err somewhere along the lines. Anyone feel free to correct me if you are sure of it. I hope I also made sense, if not feel free to ask more question.

4g63t, those are nice prices. I also got really good prices for my components (10% above cost for tv (roughly 35% markup item), 10% above cost for speakers (~60-65% markup), and the stand and receiver I got for 1/2 cost price (90 days clearance items))
I love working at BB
Old 10-18-2004, 11:51 PM   #28
Kyle
elyK

man...bb does treats it's employees well it seems...

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 10-18-2004, 11:54 PM   #29
juvenile

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
man...bb does treats it's employees well it seems...

Yes and no just like in all companies. There are its ups and downs. Though overall, yes it's pretty nice working there.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:16 AM   #30
mylittlecivic

looks good! alot better than mine thats for shore

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote