Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Interior Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2002, 10:51 AM   #1
SilverCoupe2K1

Ripping an interior

Hi,

I have a cloth interior (the one freakin year the manual doesn't come with leather!!) and a friend of mine suggested that I rip the leather out of an accidented accord coupe and put it in mine.

What do you think of this? Do you know of anyone who's done this...will it look good?

Another option is to have it put in aftermarket, but that's pricey, the last estimate i got was 1700...i dunno if it's worth it.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:00 AM   #2
ShEaNy

ummm well i was looking into getting my interior vynal wrapped which is basically the same thing..and its going to cost me like 800 (canadian) not 1700..wow thats high.. i get the all the seats done AND the inside of the doors, etc, anything more (roof,steering wheel, etc) costs a bit more
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 11:46 AM   #3
SilverCoupe2K1

Well, to be completely honest, 1700 is two tone, black and silver.

Other than cost, are there any benefits to gettin vinyl instead? how does it look/feel?
Old 04-23-2002, 01:20 PM   #4
ShEaNy

yup mine is going to be blue and white 800$$ still ..theres no real difference.. in some cases it might feel a bit better... i hear u slide around a bit more then cloth....thats the same for leather..umm the good side it looks F***ing awesome....lol if i get mine done before u i'll let u know... might be a while though...:o
Old 04-24-2002, 08:08 AM   #5
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

you should be able to swap out to the leather but the vinyl route isn;t a bad one. I would just say check w/ some ohter shops and see of you could find a better deal on it. 1700 seems way steep to me.....
Old 04-24-2002, 08:59 AM   #6
spoogenet

Re: Ripping an interior

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverCoupe2K1
Hi,

I have a cloth interior (the one freakin year the manual doesn't come with leather!!) and a friend of mine suggested that I rip the leather out of an accidented accord coupe and put it in mine.

What do you think of this? Do you know of anyone who's done this...will it look good?

Another option is to have it put in aftermarket, but that's pricey, the last estimate i got was 1700...i dunno if it's worth it.

Huh? Honda didn't provide an '01 manual with leather? Interesting.

I dunno about the 6th gen leather, but I found the 5th gen leather to suck horribly. A buddy of mine has a '95 EX with leather, and the leather just didn't survive very well. I've just never been impressed with Honda leather.

If you're going to spend the time, especially if you want to make it look good, spend the extra cash and go for a higher quality aftermarket job. Whether you go leather or vinyl is up to you, but you'll probably get a higher quality leather aftermarket than you'll get from stock. It'll probably look better, too, since it'll be more custom. Plus you get your full range of color choices rather than being at the mercy of what Honda puts in stock.

For the seats, I would strongly recommend you do not get the shiny vinyl-like leather. I've always found that it just doesn't grip your buttocks when you hit the corners. My friends' was bad, I'd slip and slide all over the place when in the passenger's seat. When driving at least I had the wheel to hold onto. Get a sueded leather, or something similar. It will probably cost a little more, but it'll give you much better butt traction.

Or you could just rip the seats out of an IS300.

b
Old 04-25-2002, 01:24 PM   #7
ShEaNy

well it looks good! lol... and isn't there different types of vynal material u can get? .. so u won;t slide....someone was telling me about this.... but i forget...:o .... now i have to re evaluate my interior... vynal was going to get done in May.. but i dunno anymore....hmmmm
Old 04-25-2002, 02:07 PM   #8
SilverCoupe2K1

What about suede? I've seen leather on the sides, and suede on the inside so you don't slide around. Again, that could be two-tone. As for it being expensive, remember I'm quoting CDN $.

I've only taken one quote, so it's possible that number will come down, but like spoogenet said, it's worth spending a lil more to get the better quality.

Yeah, on the CDN 2001 model, only the V6 came with leather, (but no manual so i got the 4) I believe it was the only year there was no leather.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:26 PM   #9
spoogenet

Ok, I missed the Canada-eh part. I'm not sure if the leather was available in the US that year or not.

I mentioned suede, and that's what I'd look for if getting leather. You can also get faux leather, maybe it's made of vinyl, I'm not sure. You can get it so that it feels just like suede. Suede is very nice, it doesn't feel as hot or cold as regular leather in the extereme weather, and your cheeks won't slide across it like on normal leather. It isn't as likely to crack up either, but it usually costs a bunch more. If you look at the racing seats and sport seats from other car companies (IS300, for example), they all have suede in the center.

Thinking of that, you could also consider just getting racing seats for the front. They'll give you better support for the lateral acceleration than stock seats will, but I'm not sure about their cost, durability, or comfort for long rides. Others can embelish on those factors.

b
Old 04-25-2002, 03:36 PM   #10
SilverCoupe2K1

I dunno if I wanna go the racing seat route, cuz I'm not really trying to turn it into a race car. I just want sumthin that looks sweet and can hold its own. I've done the racing thing, gone much too fast...all that stuff. Now I just wanna chill. Anyone know how much the faux suede is?

(isn't that what's in the previous gen. S4's?)
Old 04-25-2002, 09:27 PM   #11
spoogenet

Nobody said the racing seats will make your car faster or make you drive faster.

Some of the racing seats look good, but I think a nice custom job will look better and it'll be something that someone else can't just order online and bolt into their car.

If I were you, I'd maybe consider not going with the leather and going with....burnt orange shag! Ooh, ooh, you could install a disco ball in your roof, too!

Ok, ok, so I'm getting a little outta hand. Maybe you should just go with the suede afterall....

b
Old 04-26-2002, 12:58 PM   #12
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Personally I think leather is over rated. If its an everyday driver I'd just leave the cloth. Or perhaps redo the cloth interior.
Quote:
Originally posted by Whtehnda93DXSdn
you should be able to swap out to the leather but the vinyl route isn;t a bad one. I would just say check w/ some ohter shops and see of you could find a better deal on it. 1700 seems way steep to me.....
$1700 Canadian = $1087.52 US
Old 04-30-2002, 11:38 AM   #13
SilverCoupe2K1

I know there's pros and cons to leather, but you gotta admit, it has a sweet look to it. Like I said, suede is probably more practical, but it's also hella expensive too...