Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 07:38 PM   #1
thermal
Banning Machine

Vortech FMU install

Vortech FMU Installation:

DISCLAIMER: The words written below are based solely on my personal experience. The procedure is NOT a “text book” procedure. I will NOT be responsible for any mishap and/or damage that may occur during the project. Use common sense to practice safety. Goodluck.
<ThermalFi’d16>

Elapsed time: 45 min

INTRODUCTION:
As we all know, the intake manifold on a non-force induced engine is always on a vacuum state. Once the engine is subjected to Force Induction by either a Turbo or Supercharger, the intake manifold will become a pressurized component. A pressurized intake manifold dictates more volume of air for combustion purposes. However, the added volume of air will not burn properly unless ample fuel is provided. The Vortech FMU is a “rising rate” fuel pressure regulator. It senses boost condition in the intake manifold. Once it senses boost presence, it compensates by adding more fuel to the combustion system. Depending on the disk size, it adds the intended fuel pressure. For an example, 10:1 disk means that it will add 10 psi of fuel pressure to the fuel rail for every 1 psi of boost that it senses. As you analyze the proceeding steps, you will realize that all it does is basically restricts/regulates the amount of fuel that normally recirculates back to the fuel tank. By this function, it maintains the fuel rail “flooded” with fuel while at boost condition. With the Fuel Rail being “flooded”, the fuel will have to flow through the injectors for combustion. Remember that the FMU does not eliminate the function of the Fuel Pressure Regulator. The Fuel Pressure Regulator controls the amount of fuel on the inlet side of the fuel rail. The Vortech FMU regulates the outlet side of the fuel rail/fuel pressure regulator. Review the link below:
http://www.geocities.com/thermalfid16/BasicFuelSys.html

Steps:
1) Ensure the car is turned off. Remove the keys from the ignition.

2) Place a piece of rag over and around the fuel rail banjo fitting to avoid possible fuel from spraying all over the engine bay. Slowly vent the fuel rail by loosening the banjo fitting. Do not remove the fitting. Use the picture below as a reference.
refer to pic number 1 below

3) Locate the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Directly below it is the fuel return line. This return line sends unused fuel back to the fuel tank. The picture below, illustrates where this return line is. Section 1 and Section 2 is the same fuel line. Trace this tubing from the Fuel Pressure Regulator. It will lead towards the firewall area and eventually goes back to the fuel tank.
refer to pic number 2 below

4) Unclip one end of this tubing.

5) Locate a vacuum source for the FMU. The most commonly used is the Fuel Pressure Regulator vacuum tubing. This vacuum source can be that same vacuum source from which the BOV and the Boost gauge is tapped into. Just add another Tee barbed fitting to accommodate for the FMU’s vacuum/boost sensing feature.
refer to pic number 3 below

6) Connect all tubing tightly as described on the drawing below.
refer to pic number 4 below

7) Mount the Vortech FMU. The picture below shows a typical mounting area for this FMU. Evaluate the area to ensure that all fittings are accessible.
refer to pic number 5 below

8) Retighten the Fuel Rail Banjo plug.

9) Start the car and conduct an initial leak test. Ensure that all the clips/clamps are tight.

10) Take the car for a drive and boost to the maximum wastegate set-point (NOT the maximum wastegate capability). Recheck for leaks.

11) Enjoy!

Note: This install is based on a 6th Gen Civic EX. This instruction can be done on most pre-2001 Honda/Acura cars, although some components, like the Fuel Pressure Regulator may be located elsewhere on the fuel rail. It will still be the same, function wise. If installed on 6th Gen Civics or OBD2, an additional MAP check valve must be installed as well to avoid a CEL/MIL. Review the link below for MAP check valve install and schematic:
http://www.geocities.com/thermalfid16/check_valve.html

Forward your questions to me:
arnel@thermal99.com

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum

Last edited by thermal : 11-14-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

pic 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmuinstall1.jpg (35.0 KB, 493 views)

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-14-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

pic 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmuinstall2.jpg (31.2 KB, 483 views)

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-14-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

pic 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmuinstall3.jpg (27.6 KB, 474 views)

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-14-2005, 08:59 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

pic 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmuinstall5.jpg (36.5 KB, 493 views)

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-14-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

pic 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmuinstall4.jpg (36.7 KB, 439 views)

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Closed Thread