Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Joined the Micro Mini scene..

I couldn't take driving the pricey gas hog of an Explorer anymore. I traded it in on a Toyota Yaris liftback. It's nice to have a small car again, not to mention cheap fill ups.

It looks like this one.. The color wasn't my first choice but its growing on me. It needs some wheels and suspension though.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Violent Apathy

Yeah when I was home in march gas was pretty bad, was spending like $20 bucks a day on my Mustang, but I drove a lot heh. Don't even wanna think about what I'll be paying when I get back on the 30th.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Fuel efficient or not, that may be the gayest thing I've seen...ever. I'd rather watch two guys make out than look at that car. It's just that bad. You couldn't have gone with a hybrid of some sort? At least the Civic hybrids look like normal cars, not like the Insight which makes me go blind every time I see it. More than the car...it's Austin Powers parallel parking action that's hilarious.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

meh...gotta do what u gotta do. My bicycle is getting lots of miles on it simply for the fact i can't afford gas

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT40FIED
Fuel efficient or not, that may be the gayest thing I've seen...ever. I'd rather watch two guys make out than look at that car. It's just that bad. You couldn't have gone with a hybrid of some sort? At least the Civic hybrids look like normal cars, not like the Insight which makes me go blind every time I see it. More than the car...it's Austin Powers parallel parking action that's hilarious.

A hybrid costs over 20K for a new car. This was 13K. My payments are 60 dollars a month more then my Explorer. I'll save way more then that in gas a month. I knew you'd say it was gay. You are so fucking predictable.

Quote:
meh...gotta do what u gotta do. My bicycle is getting lots of miles on it simply for the fact i can't afford gas.

Seriously.. If I didn't live 60 miles from everything I'd be biking it everywhere.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

You couldn't even post a picture of YOUR Yaris? Lazy ass.

It may not be the most attractive car, but its got more hidden storage compartments than any car I've seen. You could easily hide a body in them. May have to chop it up a little first.

And yes. Wheels & suspension. Glad you finally listened to me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Rice
Seriously.. If I didn't live 60 miles from everything I'd be biking it everywhere.
You don't live that far from work. And didn't you just buy a fancy new road bike?
Old 05-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
I knew you'd say it was gay. You are so fucking predictable.

Hey man...fair's fair. Remember how much shit everyone gave Darin when he got that Echo? Yeah...the Yaris is about 42.519 times gayer than an Echo. Deal with it.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 05-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I didn't give Darin shit.. I've always thought the Echo was pretty cool. I'm a huge fan of the Vitz. Yaris Cup for the win!

Quote:
You don't live that far from work. And didn't you just buy a fancy new road bike?

They don't call this "Hillsboro" for nothing. I'm going to have to work into that one. 15 miles of hilly ass roads every morning would be interesting.

Here is my plan for the Yaris. I already shaved the rear name badges. Get a good set of coilovers, and a set of Bronze Grids or something.

Last edited by Racing Rice : 05-04-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Racing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Here is my plan for the Yaris. I already shaved the rear name badges. Get a good set of coilovers, and a set of Bronze Grids or something.
Forgot the window tint.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

what about the Fit ? It looks a lot better than the yaris. Hell even the aveo looks better than that yaris

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #11
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebpda9
what about the Fit ? It looks a lot better than the yaris. Hell even the aveo looks better than that yaris
He's already bought it. And its still less than what a Fit would cost.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebpda9

I personally like the Yaris look better. A guy we work with has a fit, it's ok just don't like it as much. Like addict said, price played a big role also. My dad has an Aveo, you couldn't pay me enough to drive another GM product. It just feels cheap.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Fuck, they're all hideous. I saw a Fit on the road for the first time a few weeks ago and it took all if my self control to keep from bumping it off the road. And believe me, a bump is all it would take. Cars are like dogs...if they're too small they're pathetic and annoying. If they're too big then they become too hard to take care of and they're clumsy and moronic. Micro Minis can fucking blow me (and probably would given the chance). Sure, they save a little gas, but if saving some gas means I have no power and look like I just won the special olympics you can count me out. I'd rather sacrifice a few MPG for a car with decent power (as long as it's not a GM).

Old 05-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #14
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Sure, they save a little gas, but if saving some gas means I have no power and look like I just won the special olympics you can count me out.
lol... I'm ordering RR a special olympics decal for his Yaris....

Quote:
I'd rather sacrifice a few MPG for a car with decent power (as long as it's not a GM).
Amen to that. Just replaced the engine on the wife's Envoy. it only had 65k on it.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:37 AM   #15
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I think I can beat that. My 2001 Slownoma has just 25K miles on it. It currently has: ABS light on for no good reason which I have ignored for months, a power steering pump that seems to run out of fluid with increasing regularity, and a suspension/drivetrain vibration somewhere in the rear end that's getting worse every week or so. The last one really pisses me off. It feels like I'm running over a midget every time I slow to a stop (it's not too noticable above 20mph, but the thing just feels unsafe). I guess I could crawl under there and fix it, but I just hate the thing so much.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #16
CD5Passion

haha yes! Welcome to the dark side.
you should check out echofans.org
there are quite a few ricers, but there are some good cars there, and some good information.

my best mileage on my echo has been around 45mpg.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #17
IALuder

god damn tree-hugging-hippie-powered cars.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #18
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IALuder

sock fucker
Old 05-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #19
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IALuder

second that

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #20
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD5Passion
haha yes! Welcome to the dark side.
you should check out echofans.org
there are quite a few ricers, but there are some good cars there, and some good information.

my best mileage on my echo has been around 45mpg.

I'll check it out, I've been whoring up the Yarisworld.com forums lately.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:42 AM   #21
CD5Passion

Quote:
I'll check it out, I've been whoring up the Yarisworld.com forums lately.

yeah, i really want a yaris 3-door. maybe one of these days I'll trade in the echo for it.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:01 AM   #22
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
yeah, i really want a penis in my mouth. maybe one of these days I'll trade in the echo for it.

Sounds like a fair trade...and surprisingly appropriate.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #23
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
yeah, i really want a yaris 3-door. maybe one of these days I'll trade in the echo for it.

I'm enjoying mine.. It's nice having a hatchback again. It handles great and turns on a dime. It's so nice not driving the Exploder anymore.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:17 AM   #24
CD5Passion

Quote:
Sounds like a fair trade...and surprisingly appropriate.

haha you are such an ass steve
Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #25
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

im gonna get some sort of economical car next, not sure what, i kinda want a hybrid, but might just go for a small fuel efficent something. ive matured past the stoplight racing to make my dick longer, and well, if gas does make it to $4 a gallon like is expected, i'd like to not have my life revolve around finding fuel for my car, and more about enjoying where i go with my car.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #26
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

That was kinda my thought.. I'll put some suspension on it and make it handle like a go-cart, plus not having to slow down and speed up for corners should help improve my fuel mileage as well.

I don't need to do 0-100 in under 5 seconds. If I want a rush, I'll get my bike out.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #27
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

I agree. My bike gets me my rush now. I want a nice ride that is reliable and fun. Like an STI. Hardly fuel friendly hahahah

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #28
CD5Passion

yeah, here in cali the gas is at 3.49 for regular.

it's bad
Old 05-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #29
Grip72

Quote:
I couldn't take driving the pricey gas hog of an Explorer anymore. I traded it in on a Toyota Yaris liftback. It's nice to have a small car again, not to mention cheap fill ups.

It looks like this one.. The color wasn't my first choice but its growing on me. It needs some wheels and suspension though.

sooo...you lost your gas bill and your dignity? haha

omg..PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't modify it
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #30
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip72
omg..PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't modify it

Errr...agreed. There's just no point. If you were going to modify a car that was completely unworthy of modifications, you might as well have bought a Ford Fiesta. Even lowered with wheels, it's still just a tiny little fu-fu car that any self respecting man should be ashamed to drive (see also: Honda Insight, Toyota Prius, any Geo product).

Old 05-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #31
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i dunno, if your self-respect is based on your car...... maybe im turning into an old man, maybe its all the economics classes which have changed my spending and consumption habits, but theres alot more to life than what you drive. and theres alot more i'd like to spend money on than gas. i just picture a joe dirt guy screamin what a little sissy car it is when he drives off in his smokin 1970's pos

Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #32
Violent Apathy

Well I guess it's just different for different people. For me, I've yet to find anything that gives me more joy than just driving my car, so I'm more than happy to dump money into it for gas, mods, and insurance for a V8.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #33
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCantSkate
i dunno, if your self-respect is based on your car...... maybe im turning into an old man, maybe its all the economics classes which have changed my spending and consumption habits, but theres alot more to life than what you drive. and theres alot more i'd like to spend money on than gas. i just picture a joe dirt guy screamin what a little sissy car it is when he drives off in his smokin 1970's pos

No...you're not getting old. Well, ok ,maybe you are, but I'm pretty sure I'm older than you. It's not about self respect...it's about what you can enjoy. I wouldn't feel emasculated driving something like a Yaris...I'd just hate it's lack of power. I don't drive all that much...I fill up my tank once a month, maybe twice so gas isn't a huge deal. I like knowing I have the power to pass a vehicle on the highway if I need to. I also like knowing my car (or truck) does 0-60 in more than just theory.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #34
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

haha true, i see your point. i guess its the city driving that i do 99% of the time, and being on the toll roads dosnt mean im going 60+ or accelerating at a speed beyond 0-60 in 20 seconds, i guess i have no need other than enjoyment(which died for me after tickets and repairs cost more than the fun i was having) for a car capable of burning under 20 or even 25 mpg.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #35
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
I wouldn't feel emasculated driving something like a Yaris...

Sounds like personal problem to me. I have no problem driving the Yaris, I have nothing to prove on the streets. It gets me to 60-75 fast enough to keep up with traffic. It's every bit as fast as the civic or Explorer was. It's way more fun to drive then either of those two as well. I averaged over 38mpg on my first full tank of gas. I've had the car for a week and a half and have already put over 700 miles on it. It's saving me a ton of money to drive. If you don't like the Yaris, fine, don't buy or drive one. I don't see why we should be little one another based on our choice of transportation. My motorcycle is capable of doing 12 sec 1/4 miles and still gets +50mpg.. I rarely drive it WOT any where though.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #36
CD5Passion

yeah i have no problem passing anyone on the highways. drop it down into 3rd gear and I'm passing most people. And we have lots of mountain roads here, so you don't need to be driving past 20 to feel like you're flying.

btw how is the gearing on the yaris?
in the echo 2nd gear gets me to 60mph and 3rd to 90mph

on a side note, I'm paying 3.59 for gas......:cry
Old 05-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #37
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
yeah i have no problem passing anyone on the highways. drop it down into 3rd gear and I'm passing most people. And we have lots of mountain roads here, so you don't need to be driving past 20 to feel like you're flying.

btw how is the gearing on the yaris?
in the echo 2nd gear gets me to 60mph and 3rd to 90mph

on a side note, I'm paying 3.59 for gas......:cry

I actually bought the dog-o-matic.. I test drove both and the auto felt more responsive on take offs. The manual was quiet and didn't have a tach. I was forgetting to shift.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:53 AM   #38
CD5Passion

Quote:
I actually bought the dog-o-matic.. I test drove both and the auto felt more responsive on take offs. The manual was quiet and didn't have a tach. I was forgetting to shift.

haha you pansy. tach's aren't needed once you learn it.

....................of course, I've utilized the rev limiter a few times haha

are you going to do anything much to it?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:43 AM   #39
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Uhhhh...how do you make a stick shift car without a tach? That's just cheap.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #40
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
are you going to do anything much to it?

I'm getting the optional TRD armrest, and probably TRD rear Swaybar. Eventually I'd like to get a set of Tein coilovers and some bronze 15 or 16 inch wheels unless I can find a cheap set of Mini Cooper S 17s to put on it.. Then just drive the hell out of it.

Quote:
Uhhhh...how do you make a stick shift car without a tach? That's just cheap.

I agree.. I couldn't believe it when I got in and looked around. I don't even think it's an option in North America. I know Canada and Europe get one though.