::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2002, 01:21 PM   #1
accordboy00

racing an auto

I've heard some of yall saying that while racing an auto your'e supposed to hold the brake with your left foot while reving to 1500-2000rpm. Then release the brake and go at it. When I do this in my 6th gen my wheels peel too much and i'm not quite sure I'm going any faster. Am I doing it right? If I rev any lower will it be any more effective?
Old 04-11-2002, 01:51 PM   #2
Smitty90acc

This technique is called torque-braking. By bringing the torque converter up to its stall-speed, then releasing the brake, you launch directly into the sweet spot of the powerband. If you want a quicker launch, try holding it at a slightly lower rpm. Also try lowering your front tire pressures (but only for a short period of time!).
Old 04-11-2002, 02:12 PM   #3
ShEaNy

Sweet now i know how to race my accord (auto with sport shift) without having to use the sport shift and put into 1st and pretend i have a standrad.. hehe
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 04:15 PM   #4
accordboy00

Will lowering the rpm reduce tire peeling without sacrificing the whole point of torque-braking?
Old 04-12-2002, 12:22 AM   #5
azn_nite_ryder

Quote:
Originally posted by accordboy00
Will lowering the rpm reduce tire peeling without sacrificing the whole point of torque-braking?

well like smitty said.... take some air out and that'll help you hook better..... you could use your winter tires for better traction... hahaha

just look at slicks.. they are not fully inflated and when you see them do burn outs they expand like crazy... it just hooks better to the road....
Old 04-12-2002, 12:02 PM   #6
accordboy00

how fara can i safely reduce tire pressure in the front tires. I think the psi in them now is 40.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:02 PM   #7
Smitty90acc

Quote:
how fara can i safely reduce tire pressure in the front tires. I think the psi in them now is 40.
That's way overinflated.
Normal pressure is around 30 psi.

I'd take it down to 18 - 20 psi for the track. But don't drive around like that.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:44 PM   #8
Honda_Gurl

hey i have an auto too and had been looking for a better way to get a good start, so thanks for that info, i'll have to try it!
Old 04-12-2002, 06:39 PM   #9
accordboy00

how low of a psi can I drive with. I dont often know that I'm going to race. It usually at a light when a rice rocket starts reving his tiny engine. I usually spank them anyways...I just want to really spank them from now on.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:09 PM   #10
spoogenet

You can easily drive around with 15 psi, you could probably even drive around with less. The problem with it is that your tires will heat up more than they're supposed to, which will cause premature tread wear. Not to mention that it will cause uneven tread wear, thus causing your tires to go bad even faster.

Add all that with the fact that you will be more likely to bend a rim if you hit pothole, curb, or whatever else can cause enough force to bend it. It will also decrease your performance in the turns since the sidewalls will flex a lot more.

The track is for racing, the road is for driving. And people wonder why cops target customized rides?

b
Old 04-13-2002, 01:55 AM   #11
azn_nite_ryder

Quote:
how low of a psi can I drive with. I dont often know that I'm going to race. It usually at a light when a rice rocket starts reving his tiny engine. I usually spank them anyways...I just want to really spank them from now on.

i'll race you.... my car is for sure all rice.... wanna run??!
Old 04-14-2002, 01:18 PM   #12
accordboy00

I'm talkin about those little civic hatches! They annoy the !@#$ out of me. Damn rice rockets
Old 04-16-2002, 02:14 AM   #13
azn_nite_ryder

thats ok.. still wanna race me?
im all about rice... tee hee
Old 04-16-2002, 02:18 AM   #14
Maxvla

lol... i was watching the nascar race this weekend... they start the race with 8lbs in the left front!!! it looks flat til they start racing... lol.