User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 04:21 PM   #1
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

How to: Install Dropzone Coilovers on a 6G Civic

Laymen's way of explaining how to put coilovers on a 6G Civic.

I would just like to say first off, that I am not held responsible for anything that you may do wrong with this installation. Please consult the manual for proper torque specs.

Materials needed:

1. 4000+ pound jack, and jackstands (optional, we didn't have jackstands readily available, so we used a 2 1/2 ton jack... wood blocks would work fine also...)

2. Torque wrench

3. 14mm deep socket, 17mm deep socket, breaker bar.

4. WD-40 (with the straw attachment, if you dont have it, just make sure you don't get WD-40 everywhere.)

5. Spring STRUT compressor (2) (Rented at autozone for $50. Got every cent back, including the money they charged for tax initially.)

6. Allen Wrenches (Standard)

7. Various sized wrenches (For good measure.)

8. A strong friend.

9. Gloves (Latex is nice... just incase you have to pee or something... not to mention the struts will be dirty and greasy. Plus, you can pretend your a doctor or something i dunno.)

10. Drop Zone Coilovers (well, duh. Any brand coilover sleeves can be used. It's the same idea.)

Procedure:

1. Start by finding a flat surface. Get the WD-40, and apply it generously on the top nut, and also on the 2 14" nuts next to it(on all 4 struts).

2. We chose to do the rear wheels first, because they were, by far the easiest to install. Loosen the lugs nuts on one wheel by 1-2 turns.

3. Jack up that side of the car, and place something in front of the opposite diagonal wheel.

4. Remove the wheel.

5. Next, get your 14mm socket (and wrench obviously), and start unscrewing the 14mm bolt located at the bottom of the strut assembly. Its uber duper long, so keep at it. You may need to use the breaker bar to get it free.

6. Once this is loose, remove the bolt, and place them where your lug nuts are. Keep your things organized.

7. Go into your trunk, and unscrew the 2 14mm nuts. Again, you may need the breaker bar to get them free. Have your friend hold the bottom of the strut assembly to make sure it does not slip.

8. Move the arm downward, and slip the strut assembly out.

8. Using spring compressors, compress both sides of the spring to ensure you do not strip off the top nut. (Compress them really well, it is not suggested that you use air tools while doing this, it may cause physical injury.)

9. Slip the right sized allen wrench (standard I think.. not metric.) into the top screw, and start unscrewing the top nut with a wrench.

10. Once that is off, the whole assembly can be pulled apart.

11. Slip the spring off of the assembly, and remove the dust cover and bump stop. Keep the little metal washer that rides the shock bar.

11. Get the rear coilover sleeve, and spring, and the unthreaded part should sit at the bottom. Install the spring onto the sleeve, and slide the whole assembly onto your strut. (Note: Please take note that there are 2 different springs for your coilovers. One if for the front, and the other type if for your rear. On DropZone coilovers, FR = Front, and RR = Rear .. It should be printed on the spring itself.)

12. Install the appropriate O-rings/spacers inbetween the sleeve and the strut body, and place the red rubber bump on. Then, slide on the metal washer, and install the top black assembly back onto the strut.

13. Slide the strut back up into the body of the car, tighten the 2 14mm nuts, slide the strut bottom back onto the support bar, and put the 14mm bolt back in. I believe it should be torqued back to 132 lb/ft.

14. Put the wheel back on, tighten lug nuts by hand, and lower to the ground slowly. Tighten up the lug nuts to around 78 lb/ft, and take note of your ride height. If you want to lower it or raise it, jack up the car, and adjust it until the desired height is found. Then, using the hook looking things (that came along with the coilovers) tighten up the 2 pieces against each other (this will prevent the piece the spring is resting on from moving.) This step isn't usually done with only one corner of the car done, but if you must drive the car, its best to keep it at stock height (or there may be some massive wheel bounce involved.)

15. Repeat with the other side.

16. Now to the front. Take a little break, get some water, stretch or something.

17. Remove the wheel in the same fashion you did the rear.

18. Locate the 14mm bolt that attaches the fork looking thang to the bottom of your strut assembly. Then, located the 17mm bolt located behind your rotor (big round shiny thing.. on stock civics, this is probably rusted to hell...), grab a 17mm crescent wrench, and affix it to the nut at the rear of the 17mm bolt. Get your buddy, and have him/her hold the crescent wrench while you loosen the bolt with a breaker bar. Remove it and set it aside (be organized.)

19. Up under the hood, loosen the 2 14mm bolts that affix the strut to the body. (These should have been sprayed with WD-40 a while ago.. if not, spray some now, and take a break while those soak in.)

20. Slide the strut body out.

21. Compress both sides of the spring, and use the allen wrench method to remove the top nut.

22. Swap out the front spring with the FRONT coilover, slide on and install.

23. Slide the strut back into place, tighten everything down, torque the 17 mm bolt to 132 lb/ft, and the 14mm to 52 ft/lb.

24. Put on the wheel, tighten the lug nuts by hand, and continue to tighten to 78 lb/ft after you lower it to the ground.

25. Repeat with other side.

26. Front ride height is adjusted the same with the rear.

Please exercise caution while doing anything involved with your suspension. If you have any questions at all, consult a mechanic.

Take note, that once you lower your car, your toe and camber will be off. Take the car in for alignment, and you might need to purchase a camber kit if you drop it far enough.

MY ride quality: Just like the song, "Low... ry..duhs... ride a little harder...." is SOOOOOOoo true. Let's just say I got toh up on the 405 up near LA. But other than that, I've had no problems with squeaking, and for the price, im very happy. I'd say about 99.9 % of the people who install coilovers onto stock struts had to have them replaced in about 6 months (the struts that is..), so expect to purchase a good set of struts in about that time... I'd suggest koni or tokico blues.

Last edited by TeriyakiBroccoli : 12-15-2002 at 08:19 PM.
Closed Thread