.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2002, 01:19 AM   #41
78 monte

I was just sayin.The old racers used backyard technology to run 12s but today anybody nomatter what car or make can just drop a dime to the local speed catalog and have a pre assembled part at there door in 3-5 days.I'm talkin the guys that still use backyard enginuity(however you spell it??)The guy that goes to the junkyard buys $200 worth of junk and goes 12s with it rather than maxing out the Visa and going 10s ya know??The right combination of junk with the bare mininmum of performance parts to run good.Its probably not the at easy with the newer cars cause of the constant design changes and computers but the old cars.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:23 AM   #42
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

what nastalgia racer is running twelves?? Unheard of...
Old 09-26-2002, 11:12 PM   #43
78 monte

Your kidding right??? Or are you talking reall old nastalgia??? I'm talkin like 55 bel airs w/ 301 stroker motors,not flathead fords.
None the less I'm talking that racing has gotten to be a money game rather than a use your head thing.Racing now isn't a big closly gaurded secret,the quick cars don't have somebodys amazing trick in it,its all just over the counter parts.My main point of the whole thing was there is no point in the import vs. american arguements you,me and everyother car guy probaly by our speed parts at the same suppliers.So the fastest cars are just a bigger pile of aftermarket parts.Now guys uy aftermarket cylinder heads,but imagine the guy in the 50s or 60s who invented porting he probably kicked @ss at the track till everyone caught on and thats a free mod.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:16 PM   #44
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by 78 monte
Your kidding right??? Or are you talking reall old nastalgia??? I'm talkin like 55 bel airs w/ 301 stroker motors,not flathead fords.
None the less I'm talking that racing has gotten to be a money game rather than a use your head thing.Racing now isn't a big closly gaurded secret,the quick cars don't have somebodys amazing trick in it,its all just over the counter parts.My main point of the whole thing was there is no point in the import vs. american arguements you,me and everyother car guy probaly by our speed parts at the same suppliers.So the fastest cars are just a bigger pile of aftermarket parts.Now guys uy aftermarket cylinder heads,but imagine the guy in the 50s or 60s who invented porting he probably kicked @ss at the track till everyone caught on and thats a free mod.
amen to that..

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 11:26 PM   #45
V8killimports

Porting is not a free mod... possibly one of the most expensive thing you can do. Yes you can learn to do it yourself, but if not done properly with the right equipment, you can either get nothing from it, or ruin a pair of $1500 dollar heads...
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 11:34 PM   #46
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

yeah... the bigger you port isnt the better... theres a perfect spot.. thats one thing i would never try on my own car. i'd change pistons before that.

Old 09-27-2002, 12:26 AM   #47
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thGenlude
yeah... the bigger you port isnt the better... theres a perfect spot.. thats one thing i would never try on my own car. i'd change pistons before that.

Yea or even buy aftermarket heads..
Old 09-27-2002, 12:28 AM   #48
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

question... on v8's you dont need to mess with the timing belt when you change the heads right? so you can just unbolt them and put the new ones on?

Old 09-27-2002, 03:29 AM   #49
78 monte

Well obviously having someone with a flow bench would be ideal.But it can be done at home.If its your first time porting obviously buy a book and a scrap pair of junk heads to practice on,don't just rip into a set of fuilie heads.I'm just sick of the whole "I wanna go this much faster so I'll buy this and this and then that" attitude.I can't afford to piss away money on the shiny new parts in summit.I have to learn all the backyard tricks from the old racers Posi in 20min w/ mig welder,Smog 350 w/ 305 heads for compression,cool can on fuel lines,fabricate air induction w/ tin etc... etc...This used to be racing now it's just considered being a scrounge I guess.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:34 AM   #50
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thGenlude
question... on v8's you dont need to mess with the timing belt when you change the heads right? so you can just unbolt them and put the new ones on?

We don't have timing belts. timing chains... at least older cars do.. really don't know what newer engines like the modular 4.6 in the mustang is like.. but no I can swap anything really and not change anything except maybe timing.. but timing takes 2 secs to adjust if needed..
Old 09-27-2002, 09:47 AM   #51
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

ic... thanx

Old 09-27-2002, 02:22 PM   #52
juvenile

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports

Well considering their weight, and hp, I feel privilaged to get even close to these numbers..

Close to these numbers stock?

How about off the light...those things are pretty damn fast and I'm pretty sure that you'll only slightly "catch up" on the 1/4 mark.
Old 09-27-2002, 02:46 PM   #53
ShEaNy

lude are u going to copy my post on this? or can i? just wondering....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 04:07 PM   #54
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile

Close to these numbers stock?

How about off the light...those things are pretty damn fast and I'm pretty sure that you'll only slightly "catch up" on the 1/4 mark.

Ummm.. no not stock.. a 57 chevy did the 1/4 in about 1/2 hour. And mine is pretty quick off the line.. I used slicks only once.. hurt my neck and ruined my rearend.. no I don't use slicks on the street.. would be pointless..
Old 09-27-2002, 07:27 PM   #55
ShEaNy

"a 57 chevy did the 1/4 in about 1/2 hour" 30 minutes? WOW thats slow or did i not get something..olol
Old 09-27-2002, 10:38 PM   #56
juvenile

yeah that seems pretty werid 1/2 h lol hehe
I think he made a mistake!
Old 09-28-2002, 12:14 AM   #57
V8killimports

Quote:
yeah that seems pretty werid 1/2 h lol hehe
I think he made a mistake!

I was kidding.. they were about 17-18 seconds.. might as well be a 1/2 hour..
Old 09-28-2002, 04:20 AM   #58
toykilla

If Dodge is domestic and Mitsubishi is Import...what's that make my car? I guess I get the best of both worlds. Cars are cars...stfu and race.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:39 AM   #59
juvenile

Quote:
Originally posted by toykilla
If Dodge is domestic and Mitsubishi is Import...what's that make my car? I guess I get the best of both worlds. Cars are cars...stfu and race.

Huh? Is Dodge Mitsubishi also?
Old 09-28-2002, 02:50 PM   #60
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:

Huh? Is Dodge Mitsubishi also?
DSM was a company that mistu and the crystler corp. had back in the 90's they made the eagle talon, eclipse 3000gt, galant vr4, and dodge stealth. the talon galant and eclipse all shared the 4g63 awd motor and tranny, while the gst and tsi had fwd 4g63 motors also. the 3000gt vr4 and stealth r/t had inline 6 tt engines. baiscly it was when a import and domestic company worked together to make a engine and car. the non trubo versions of the talon and eclipse got the 420a dodge neon engines...

Old 11-20-2002, 07:05 PM   #61
nonovurbizniz

to the dude talking about nastalgia racing

wtf do you think half of the kids here do with there honda's

I cant afford a turbo kit. so i'm piecing a junkyard job up.
you can swap tons of honda/acura stuff between cars.

you can upgrade your rear calipers with accord wagon calipers and rotors. people take cranks and girdles and all sorts of shit and swap them around

LS/VTEC

HELLO these are all low cost junkyard projects that some people go nuts on and spend an extra $3-(no goddam key for the infinity symbol) k trying to make it bullet proof.

F all of that. i do the cheapest but most effective mods to my car.
forget all that as fast as you got cash crap.

most of us are on REAL budgets that don't allow much for spending blindly till we go fast.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:53 PM   #62
fastasfoggy

whats nostalgia racing?
Old 11-22-2002, 07:22 PM   #63
toykilla

It's not what kind of car you have. It's how much money you have to put into the car you have. Why v8 people bash us "4 bangers" when we brag about beating a v8. I've been checking out the Camaro sites lately and honestly, they have more "Z28 vs Jetta" in there "Kill Stories" than "Z28 vs T/A". I know I don't brag about beating a Geo Metro. Why do v8's brag about beating a car with half the size powerplant?? I like imports, I like domestics, **** YOU!!
Old 03-31-2003, 10:11 AM   #64
Parked

first of all i own a 87 IROC-Z 5.7 highly mod'ed and a 72 corvette with a zz4 pushing 567 hp 736 tor......running 10.51 in the 1/4 and a 95 nissan skyline gt-r (r34) straight from japan......and all my friend have nissans or hondas.....and a bad ass as the skyline is i still love my chevys....i am not a hater of any import or domestic except a mustang.......unless someone has put a good bit of money in it ....... because who am i to put someone down for sinking a lot of money in something they take pride in and love ... that goes for all cars...... i just think that no one should get all huffy and puffy over who bet who..... let racing be fun and enjoy your car....
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 11:14 AM   #65
njm92383

Can't we all just get along?

as soon as v8 guys realize that imports arent that bad. I know it will be hard for you so i am with ya.

on the other hand, one thing i have noticed is that v8 guys are the one usually saying crap to imports. I remember one day a guy was yelling at me because i drive a civic. But when i said to put up or shut up he drove off.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:37 AM   #66
ShEaNy

who in the hell thought of digging up this post lol