::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #1
f22b1

i need help with hks turbo timer

I was at school to buy some books, came back, tried to start my car,which has an hks turbo timer hard wired,and the car would not start up. What i saw scared me because smoke started coming off the turbo timer or on top of my steering console where the turbo timer is located, so i immediately switch the ingnition off and took the key out. The car is now at my community college just sitting because i could not get it to start up at all.

Could someone pls tell me what i should be looking for in order for my car to start back up again. I would really appreciate this. The car has a new battery, 1 week old.

What should i be looking for to fix my problem. The dash lights do not come on when the ignition is switched to the on position. it wont even crank over. last time it died on me it was a burnt fuse which fixed the problem, i dont know now with the smoking of the turbo timer or something burning in the steering console where my turbo timer is located. where can i check for a possible short?

If possible i just want to take off the turbo timer if this will help my car start up again.

97 honda ex coupe, t3 t4 turbo, sfp turbo manifold, fmu, hks turbo timer, missing link, autometer air fuel gauge
Old 08-20-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
JDMFantasy2k

well first of all, did you install any of your stuff yourself?

Other than that, look for touching wires and the like, around the timer and its components. Maybe rain or condensation has something to do with it?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:08 PM   #3
f22b1

yes , i forgot to mention that i wired the blue wire in the distributor blue wire for the tach from the turbo timer and i believe that is where the short started because i did see wire exposed , probably from the heat. i took this off but i think my console is toast.

i know i shouldnt have messed with it, but i did ask my local speed shop about it before going through with it. the wire unfortunately did get exposed.

what can i do now?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:25 AM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

Take the timer timer off since it is mostlikely fried anyway. Untap all the ignition wires.... all the wires you used included the speedo tap and probably hand brake tap. Recheck all the fuses. I'm sure you blew up a couple of fuses. It should start right back up after new fuses are installed.

Just a tip:
You really dont have to tap the speedo and hand brake wires on the turbo timers. Just select normal countdown. It will coundown regardless....

Also, solder and heat shrink the connection for better heat shielding and insulation.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:02 AM   #5
f22b1

thx, i got the car started this morning. took apart the steering console just for the hell of it, since i checked all the fuses, and saw where it started smoking from. it actually burnt a wire off. i retached the wires using crimper tool and the car started back up with no problem. i thought i would never be able to get it started back up again. i believe ive learned my lesson. thx again for all your help.

now i just need to get rid of this damn check engine light

on the other hand this car has never pulled as strong as it has ever did, and i cant believe i am only running 5 lbs. first gear is ok , second is the best i shouldnt get carried away im just glad to be on the road again.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:41 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

what's the CEL code?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 08-27-2004, 09:09 AM   #7
f22b1

its giving me random codes. the main one is 4-1 i believe. i thought it was the o2sensor, switched that out, still getting the same code. sometimes it just blinks once other times its more than 5 times. i talk to stage 6 motorsports about it, the guy said that i could have a faulty ecu.

hows ur teg project going? i meant turbo teg. how does it feel like at 350 horsepower or should i say 400?
Old 08-27-2004, 01:34 PM   #8
thermal
Banning Machine

Still at 307 whp man. Workin on the motor to hit 450 whp next time....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum