.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2003, 09:55 PM   #1
Wren57

New System?

Well guys, Im thinking of getting a new computer for college... the one I have now is great:
1GHZ AMD Athlon
384mb Ram
32mb ATI Radeon
blahblahblah

Anyways, Im looking to push the envelope for my next computer... 350watt case, best AMD processor (2600 I believe), 128mb video ram, 1ghz ddram... the works... so whats the best motherboard to use for the AMD Athlon chips, and where can I find one for a good price that has front USB 2.0 ports- thanks
Old 01-05-2003, 10:19 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

try www.tigerdirect.com i always buy from them and their prices are low

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Go to newegg.com for your computer buying stuff.

350 watts is ok unless you'll be doing major overclocking and will be running lots of fans, drives, etc. 400+ is recommended for that.

AMD has faster processors out now (2800+ is coming out in a couple of days I believe).

I highly doubt you'd benefit from 1GB of RAM, but tell us what the computer will be used for.

Motherboards.... I like ASUS and Abit, but there are many good ones out there. The new KT400 boards will have your front USB 2.0 ports.

Basically, how much do you want to spend and what will you do with it? That would help us recommend a configuration.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:29 PM   #4
Wren57

Im gonna be gaming, music, downloading, browsing, digitial video editing, all the hardware-intensive stuff... I wouldn't mind spending around 600 for the whole system, as I will be putting it together myself (saves some cash and easy)...
Old 01-05-2003, 10:36 PM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
Im gonna be gaming, music, downloading, browsing, digitial video editing, all the hardware-intensive stuff... I wouldn't mind spending around 600 for the whole system, as I will be putting it together myself (saves some cash and easy)...

$600? That will buy you the chip, board, and PSU. I guess you should save up a little more first. The good gaming cards are running $350 alone right now.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:37 PM   #6
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander

thats a hell of a wish list for 600.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:39 PM   #7
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
$600? That will buy you the chip, board, and PSU. I guess you should save up a little more first. The good gaming cards are running $350 alone right now.

yeah SB audogy and a good 64 or 128mb card will be close to 600, and a gig of ram will proboboly be almost 250 if you get cheap ddr ram.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:47 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

If you lower your goals and overclock to bump up the speed, 600 will get you somewhere though.

XP1600+ AGOIA stepping from newegg (runs @ 1850MHz+) - $50
KT333 board (of your choice) - $75ish
Antec tru power 430 PSU - $80
SB Live OEM - $32
Refurbed TI4200 - $115

You get the point. It could be done, but you need to add an expensive stick of RAM to this to O/C well.

Old 01-06-2003, 05:29 PM   #9
Wren57

Oh well, if $600 won't cut it I got several hundred more stock-piled... guess I *could use some of it too... hehe
Old 01-06-2003, 05:54 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well, just let us know how much you actually want to spend (need a monitor too?) and we'll help you out. You have to pay a pretty penny for top of the line stuff.

Old 01-06-2003, 06:29 PM   #11
Wren57

Well I'd like to save most of my cash for my car purchase in May, but I could bump it up to ~800... and I already have a monitor, and don't neccesarily need top-of-the-line stuff that just came out yesterday... 2month old stuff or so is a lot cheaper, so that'll do just great...
Old 01-07-2003, 10:23 PM   #12
munky185

I'd definitely shop at newegg. Not only are their prices the best (usually), but their customer service is top notch also. $600 will go a very long ways if you don't need a new monitor. Here's a few pointers (some have already been covered):

1. Go with at least a 400+ watt PSU
2. 512mb DDR ram would be plenty unless you do alot of memory intensive things like rendering with graphics programs, etc.
3. I wouldn't go for the top of the line processor if I were you. If you actually examine what you're paying for, you'll see that you are actually paying a lot more (sometimes hundreds more) for just a few mhz. That's totally not worth it unless you want bragging rights or something like that. More than likely a processor a couple steps down will be A LOT cheaper and provide you with enough speed.
4. If you do a lot of gaming, I'd look into a better than average graphics card. Again, though, high end graphics cards are very expensive, and the gains are sometimes minimal over the next model down.
5. A sound card shouldn't set you back that much. Unless you are an audiophile, a soundblaster audigy would do the trick and doesn't cost much. Order OEM and you save money by receiving the item in a regular box as opposed to a fancy retail box.

That's a few for now. Hope that helps.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:37 PM   #13
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

For the graphics gards, the new Radeon 9500 pros are a step down from the 9700s (though you can mod them into 9700s) but is considerably cheaper.

Old 01-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #14
Maxvla

haha... 600.

sorry just had to laugh.

trev's got a good layout there. if you just need a good solid graphics card and don't wanna lay out alot of cash i would check into the ti4200s either 64mb or 128mb. either are cheaper than the R9500 and will do a good job on any current game.

if i were you looking to spend about 800 i would go with a tbred based athlon 1700 or better and get a great cpu cooler set then get some nice ddr (not the cheap stuff) and a good KT333 or KT400 board. then with the extra money left over you can decide what you want to do for your HD, vid card, sound card, etc.

for sound i would suggest the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I like my Audigy but drivers are less than stellar. the TBSC should run around 60-70 bucks. HD i would go Western Digital and get as much space as you can afford. the 8mb cache Special Edition drives are nice but do cost a bit more.

do you need a cdrw? dvdrom? any extra stuff?

if you are spending lots of money on a new system you should invest in a good UPS. (Uninterruptible Power Supply) My brand of choice is the APC company. I have a Back-ups CS350 which works great. its got 6 outlets on the back and protection for your phone and lan lines as well. Also has monitoring from your computer. One of these will run around 75-85 bucks depending on where you look. keep in mind these are very heavy so you might consider purchasing them from a local ripoff shop unless you just get a killer deal online and the shipping isn't outrageous. Since i bought mine we've had two lightning strikes very very close to our house and both mine and my dads (6 year old apc) are still running like champs not to mention all the equipment plugged into them.

enough rambling.

Max

ps. if you are shopping on newegg the Chieftec/TurboLink server towers with the 420W power supplies are a great deal. i think they are about 75-80 bucks. I have one on my P4 system with a 66% overclock with no power problems whatsoever.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:46 PM   #15
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
if you are spending lots of money on a new system you should invest in a good UPS. (Uninterruptible Power Supply) My brand of choice is the APC company. I have a Back-ups CS350 which works great. its got 6 outlets on the back and protection for your phone and lan lines as well. Also has monitoring from your computer. One of these will run around 75-85 bucks depending on where you look. keep in mind these are very heavy so you might consider purchasing them from a local ripoff shop unless you just get a killer deal online and the shipping isn't outrageous. Since i bought mine we've had two lightning strikes very very close to our house and both mine and my dads (6 year old apc) are still running like champs not to mention all the equipment plugged into them.

Good point! I just bought an APC LS700 from someone on the overclockers forum (cw382 or something), and its been great. Nothing like losing power and having your equipment stay on so you can save, etc.

Old 01-08-2003, 07:44 PM   #16
Mirkwo0dForest

i gotta idea, keep your old put, sell your Highlander, buy a Civic, and swap the motor out, nitrous, the worx...

or u could just get one of those cheap(meaning affordable, of course) Dells....
Old 01-08-2003, 07:46 PM   #17
Mirkwo0dForest

put = puter = computer
Old 01-08-2003, 08:26 PM   #18
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirkwo0dForest
i gotta idea, keep your old put, sell your Highlander, buy a Civic, and swap the motor out, nitrous, the worx...

or u could just get one of those cheap(meaning affordable, of course) Dells....

hey.. my dell works fine

Old 01-08-2003, 08:39 PM   #19
Wren57

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirkwo0dForest

I... hope you were kidding... no offense to anyone here, but civic's just don't do it for me... fwd+no torque just doesnt float my boat... and they don't handle nearly as well as everyone would like to believe (my friend has a 2000EX manual that I have driven around a lot)... plainly put it's just not fast... and I cant really ever envision it *being fast without 10k+ of work... even then it wouldnt handle as great as RWD cars... FWD and no torque just isnt for me...
Old 01-08-2003, 08:44 PM   #20
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
hey.. my dell works fine

As does mine. If you want reliable, not blazing speed or overclocking, Dell is a great brand. I've been running my P4 2.0 Dell 24/7 for almost a year now. I had a Dell PIII 550 that was running for years before that.

Old 01-08-2003, 09:30 PM   #21
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

im running a 2.4 all day every day. no problems. i just dropped a 512mb stick of ddr in (768 now) and i have no problems with anything. i dont even ahve the desire to overclock, its plenty fast for what i need