::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2003, 08:14 AM   #1
ninjai

tein coilovers type-basic??

what up all. This is my first post here. I have been reading and searching for a long time now. And thanks to all of you I have decided to go wth coilovers (instead of tha strut/spring setup) for my first car mod. As for cash I dont have too much conciddering i just finished payin off my accord 94 ex with 140K miles ($4500 to thoes who are woundering). Anyway to the topic of this post.

First what i want for my ride. I dont plan on racing, but i still want the tight suspensin. In terms of "bounce" i dont mind some stiffness, but i do wanna eliminate some of the "roll" effect goin around corners at higher speeds. In terms of lowering i want to have about a 1.5" to 2" drop (so i dont have to buy a camber). I also want the ability to raise my car up some for the snow cuz I go to school in rochester, NY.

With that said... What do you people think of the tein basic coilovers. Will it do what I need, and some more , or are there better (preferablly cheaper) solutions to this. This is a quick link i picked up searchin althoug i dont plan on buying from them.
http://www.autocarparts.com/part/1167/5

The price is good, and they seems ok, but im still a noob in the end

thx
Old 08-08-2003, 08:17 AM   #2
ninjai

Damn I ment to post this in the wheels tires suspension section...my bad
Old 08-08-2003, 09:13 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

tein was supposed to be pretty good, bur i do not have any experience with them do far.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Welcome to HS I'll stick this in the suspension forum for ya.

Anyway, I haven't heard much about these coilovers. They do not have damping adjustment like the models above them, so if you feel that they are too stiff, you're SOL. I'd recommend either getting a better model or going with a Koni yellow / ground control setup. If you're stuck on true coilovers, which isn't a bad idea, I'm sure these will be good. Another alternative is the Apexi WS coilovers - also don't have damping adjustability, but they are supposed to ride nicely.

Also, since you're looking for good prices, I'd recommend dealing with Stefan (hondaman-iac). Send him a PM if you're interested. He's a dealer and can get you great deals.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 03:41 PM   #5
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

First off, welcome to the boards we need more regulars.

Anyways, Stefan (Hondaman-iac) is a big pusher of koni shocks. While I no personal experience with them, it is quite popular with the honda'ers for its agressive handling characteristics and everyday drivability.

If you also want to get rid of some of that body roll, consider stiffening up the chassis by purchasing a new sway, lower tie, front and back strut tower bars and possibly some poly urethane bushings.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 05:59 PM   #6
ninjai

Quote:
If you also want to get rid of some of that body roll, consider stiffening up the chassis by purchasing a new sway, lower tie, front and back strut tower bars and possibly some poly urethane bushings.

I was plannin on gettin all thoes but when the funds permitted. In terms of the koni shooks I have heard nothing but great things about them. I guess i will search around and which ever tha pest price isill go with. ie. contact Hondaman
Old 08-08-2003, 06:46 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ninjai
I was plannin on gettin all thoes but when the funds permitted. In terms of the koni shooks I have heard nothing but great things about them. I guess i will search around and which ever tha pest price isill go with. ie. contact Hondaman

There are advantages to full coilovers, but I think the Koni / some spring combo will be fine too.

If you're going with the Koni yellows, you'll need a coilover sleeve to go with them since you want height adjustability. Everyone loves Ground Controls, so I'd go with them. I believe you need to get a special version that works with the Koni yellows.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote