::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Kill Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
Civickid0to60

best test drive ever.

alright well me and my friend from work went to go test drive an SRT-4 again. This time we got one of our friends who works at the dealership to drive. Well, were crusing down the local highway and a GSR pulls up next to us. He looks over and revs his motor, a loud psshhh was heard. We raced him, both spun first chirped second and we were off. He was about 1-1 1/2 cars the entire time. Sorry guys but im sold on the SRT. :-)
Old 02-22-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Wren57

Um... you were on the highway, yet you spun first... so... you and a complete stranger just stopped in the middle of the highway to race... why does something sound a-miss...?

Old 02-22-2004, 05:40 PM   #3
HondaGUY2005

yea, that doesn't sound right...i swear that a turbocharged GSR, even with the most basic greddy kit, would be fast enough to beat an SRT...yea, they beat WRX's, thats still not saying much...it can kill a car with 4 more drive shafts and heavier...woohoo.

and yea...1st on the highway...the lowest gear i put it in when i was racing on the highway was 2nd, cause there was not many people on the highway when we did it, and we slowed down until we were even at like 35...and slammed it in 2nd.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Civickid0to60

wait, i didnt say we were at a stoplight my bad.

second..... i know that it all depends on the driver of the GSR in this case. Otherwise I know he wouldve beaten the SRT. Dude, and I like CRX's and all but dont even mistake urs to be a racing machine just cause u have the Si badge.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #5
HondaGUY2005

wait...What?! that was the most random shit ever! lol...where'd that come from? who said anything about a crx...let alone mine?
Old 02-22-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
Civickid0to60

oh L MAO i thought it said yea so what I can kill a car blahb lahbalh. lol my bad dude.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:13 PM   #7
HondaGUY2005

its chill, no worries, lol....so they let you race on test drives? damn, thats kool
Old 02-22-2004, 10:51 PM   #8
Fatal070

His friend that sells at the dealership took them for the ride... sounds fun but i think the GSR would def win i drove my friends srt-4 didnt really care for it that much yeah its quick but any car with a turbo is .... you know is a NEON ahahah i mean old neons were junki still think they are but whatever u wanna do ...
Old 02-23-2004, 06:17 AM   #9
vtracer20

so guy in my town has in his drive way a srt-4 and sti.....i'm soo jelious
Old 02-23-2004, 09:08 PM   #10
Civickid0to60

yea but thats the cool thing, people are gonna drive down the street and be like oh, its just a neon, race him.

and BAM. gonnnnnnnnne.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:22 PM   #11
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

they are putting down almost 14.0 runs stock right?

a turbo'ed GSR could very very easily run mid 14's with bad tuning.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:20 PM   #12
AkimboStylee

we just got a local subaru dealership, and the sailsmen are nice, they let you take it on the interstate, i test drove the sti, and i almost died, i din't know i was going 110, that car is sick, oh and yeah srt-4 is the only neon i would buy
Old 02-24-2004, 11:28 PM   #13
Wren57

Last time I was at the strip in Memphis a SRT with MBC, downpipe and drag radials ran a 13.2... a stock one ran a 14.1.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:56 AM   #14
MAXed Out
6th Gear

I don't think they are that hot at all. Still neons with a few bolt ons to me. I would much rather keep the probe or get a WRX if I were you.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:05 PM   #15
nindoo

Srt-4 is a fast car, supposidly it can be made even sicker with a stage 3 turbo kit. I like the fact that there aren't any mufflers, just straight pipes. Even though its got all that power I still don't like it.

In terms of STI I don't like the fact that its all-wheel drive. All that traction control bullshit I'm not into and other elecronically controlled crap aint for me.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:01 PM   #16
Rusho
1st Gear

If that SRT was AWD, I would be all over it like flies on a ribroast...
Old 02-27-2004, 10:03 PM   #17
Rusho
1st Gear

Quote:
...I don't like the fact that its all-wheel drive. All that traction control bullshit...

Are you NUTS?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:50 PM   #18
nindoo

Quote:
Originally posted by Rusho
Are you NUTS?

Yeah a little bit

I personally like the way simple rear wheel drive cars handle.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:04 PM   #19
Civickid0to60

Quote:
If that SRT was AWD, I would be all over it like flies on a ribroast...

alright, let me make this clear.

Everyone here, LIKES the fact that AWD are fast. I actually had an AWD talon tsi as most of you know.

Basically, the reason I want the SRT-4 over a WRX is this.

First, if anyone of you have probalby noticed, they are expensive to modify. The SRT-4 is not.

Now most people (dumbestic people) say that oh its FWD how fast can you make it blahblahblah ghey.

AWD is only good off the line, unless it is heavily modified. Problems with AWD is not just the tranny. But, at a roll, if your going against a car that has the same or more horsepower, AWD doesnt really matter. If you have a quick spooling turbo, or a heavily reinforced one, the AWD is gone. My tsi tied several FWD and RWD cars from a roll. And lost to FWD cars from a light, because i may have gotten the jump but the WHP in the other car was able to catch up and beat me.

What some of you may not know, is that this is not the standard neon engine with a few bolt ons as acura 86 said. No NO nO. this is much more then that. Its an entirely diff. engine. An engine which is completely open to modification. Like highlander said he saw a stock SRT run a 14.1 which is OK. But then one with an Exhaust a radials and intake? run a 13.2....a 13.2 is what an evo V||| and STi run stock. Now, what does this mean? This means that for 22,000 dollars (21,699 for the car, plus the intake and exhaust and tires.) I will be running with evos and STi's and still not even equalling the cost of a bone stock STi or evo.
Also, the SRT-4 comes with limited slip differential which of course mopar has made an upgrade for for 1,000 dollars......are you reading that.....1,000 dollars. That is cheap IMO. I looked up the HPracing package for the t3/04 turbo (capable of 500+whp) wastegate, acutator etc... for 2,000. 2,000 dollars. CHEAP. They have a full site dedicated to the upgrading of just the SRT-4 which i have only found for hondas otherwise. This is just for the SRT-4 just that model. I like that idea. If you dont i have no clue why. But, as for the looks, clean bodykits, eye lids, hoods trunks wings etc... have all come out for it already. I think the only thing that i would change on the outside would be the headlights, aka i would get the eye lids. And lower the car, then its all performance from there.

Trust me, if I wanted an AWD car, i would already be rolling in a WRX, not the STi cause i think they are way way overpriced for what they are, same for the evo. (call me crazy if you want too) i love both those cars, but damn, for that money i can get a supra. Thats my feelings.

Just, i want a car thats fast stock, so when i roll up next to cobras when im still saving money for a new part, i can still whoop some ass, rather than have to wait to save up for one part that will make my car fast. And most of you are hypocritical, most of you think that the looks of the car dont determine anything, yet you comment on how you think its ugly. Good thats your Opinion, i like the new style, its much diff. from the normal neon IMO. But just dont contradict yourselves. Look at it from the performance end if you dont care about looks.
-jordan
Old 02-28-2004, 09:31 PM   #20
Rusho
1st Gear

I understand.
I just don't like FWD. RWD is cool, but AWD is awesome! I had a FWD Talon Tsi and almost crashed it cause of stupid torque steer. I just think FWD is a cheap way to make a car and thats the only reason they do it(to save money). I stick with my statment: "If the Neon SRT was AWD, I would be all over it like flies on a ribroast"
Old 02-28-2004, 09:32 PM   #21
Rusho
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by nindoo
Yeah a little bit

I personally like the way simple rear wheel drive cars handle.

Isn't your Honda FWD?
Old 02-29-2004, 12:52 AM   #22
nindoo

Quote:
Isn't your Honda FWD?

Yes it is, all economy cars are. I like rear wheel drive. Its great in the summer on smooth roads. But where I am it snows a lot. When cars have the engines in front and they are rear wheel drive, traction is not so great. Most gear wheel drive cars are sports cars, usually have a lot of torque making it very difficult to go straight.

I drove my friend's bmw 5 series(don't remember which one). I liked the way the car felt when I pressed the throttle, and I liked the handling.

All wheel drive becomes complicated its got three differentials. So when shit fucks up its expensive to fix. There great for where I am since you have the feeling of rear wheel but with you get better traction making it easier in the winter.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:55 AM   #23
Civickid0to60

Quote:
Originally posted by nindoo
All wheel drive becomes complicated its got three differentials. So when shit fucks up its expensive to fix. There great for where I am since you have the feeling of rear wheel but with you get better traction making it easier in the winter.

exactly. its not worth it.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:52 AM   #24
Rusho
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Civickid0to60
exactly. its not worth it.

Old 03-01-2004, 03:10 PM   #25
Civickid0to60

dude, i dont think u understand, i dont know if ur dsm is AWD or not, but i am a former owner of one....and i know for a fact, that its not worth it. especially not in the new cars.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:40 PM   #26
Rusho
1st Gear

You would never say that if you had a Lancer Evo 8, or Subaru Sti, or Puegot 206, or Citroen Xsara, or Ford Focus...AWD turbos are the shit!
Old 03-01-2004, 10:21 PM   #27
AkimboStylee

ford focus, wtf
Old 03-01-2004, 10:38 PM   #28
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the wrc spec, plus the focus rs in europe kicks some serious butt. now awd is perfect if you wanna do like rally or autocross, but for straight line rwd is the shit. FWD is shit

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:25 AM   #29
Rusho
1st Gear

You know how many people crash there cars in a straight line? Back when Corvettes first came out, most of the accidents were on freeways going straight cause they floored it and spun out!!
Old 03-02-2004, 07:25 AM   #30
Rusho
1st Gear

oh and also, you should watch the WRC videos seen here: www.wrc.com . Fun to watch!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:20 AM   #31
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

are u kidding me ? that is my favorite sport of all the times. http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showt...threadid=19628

Old 03-02-2004, 10:43 AM   #32
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

SRT-4 is a good choice. They are revamping this next year I believe. A few more tweaks from the factory.
Well just having that nice LSD is a blessing.... I'm wishing I had one right now....
Can't go passed about half throttle in first and part of second.... Ahh well boost controller will help that...a little.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:56 PM   #33
Civickid0to60

Quote:
Originally posted by Addict
SRT-4 is a good choice. They are revamping this next year I believe. A few more tweaks from the factory.
Well just having that nice LSD is a blessing.... I'm wishing I had one right now....
Can't go passed about half throttle in first and part of second.... Ahh well boost controller will help that...a little.

this man is educated.

As for FWD= shit goes.....arent your hondas FWD?

PS, its called upgraded limited slip differntial, and i dont think i will be having the raw horsepower of a corvette :\
Old 03-02-2004, 06:56 PM   #34
Rusho
1st Gear

Quote:
Can't go passed about half throttle in first and part of second.... Ahh well boost controller will help that...a little

HUH?
That won't help. Unless you turn your boost DOWN. But who would want to turn boost down?

Quote:
PS, its called upgraded limited slip differntial, and i dont think i will be having the raw horsepower of a corvette :\

That SRT-4 is 2.4L Turbo with 14b(stock Eclipse turbo). Stock boost is 11psi. Get a boost controller and turn it up to 15psi! You could be close to 275HP.
A few hundred dollars in mods and you have the fast 4-cylinder made under $30,000!

Here is a really cool review on it:
http://www.allpar.com/neon/neon-srt-4.html

Or maybe you have seen it
Old 03-02-2004, 10:27 PM   #35
Civickid0to60

ya ive seen that. but thats exactly my point, my point is just proven. lol.

This will be the first car that ive owned that i will care more about performance then anything else. so, that is my point right there. Under 30g, 275 hp. and when you think about it, theres not gonna be many Sti's around to race anyway, so ill be smoking most cars around.

but, what i was saying about the limited slip, is that it comes stock, but can be upgraded, i didnt say anything about the boost controller, addict did. And the boost controller can lower his PSI, thus his statement is the same as urs. Just said differently.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:43 AM   #36
Rusho
1st Gear

oh yah, I didn't put this name next to his quote

even if there is an Sti and you upgrade a little, you'll be doin pretty damn good against them... But Sti is AWD...
I wonder if that SRT diff is really that effective?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:55 AM   #37
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:

ummm i was talking from experience. my car never seen a drag strip, and it will never will. but give me some turns and that's where the fun begins. no matter what you do to a fwd it will always have understeer under power in turns ( not hondas cause they have no power )

Old 03-16-2004, 12:04 PM   #38
nindoo

Quote:
You would never say that if you had a Lancer Evo 8, or Subaru Sti, or Puegot 206, or Citroen Xsara, or Ford Focus...AWD turbos are the shit!

Have you ever driven one of those cars.

STI performs great in competitions where the car is configured for each and every rally race.

There are a bunch of articles out there you can probably find on the Internet that indicate that at times all wheel drive is less safe then your conventiional car. The electronics controlling the traction and differentials do not perform as they should when put under unpredictable situations. Like hitting a series of little bumps.

Do a little research youll see my view of things.

Keep in mind the STI is 50k plus tax in Canada.

Thats expensive for a compact.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:12 PM   #39
nindoo

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
ummm i was talking from experience. my car never seen a drag strip, and it will never will. but give me some turns and that's where the fun begins. no matter what you do to a fwd it will always have understeer under power in turns ( not hondas cause they have no power )

You get that with all-wheel drive as well and you have oversteer with rear wheel drive cars.

Honda Integra Type R has crazy handling and It can do a burnout to. 220 break horse power, brembo brakes and nice slick transmission.
Do you race?

Honda has great engines don't need too much torque to get rolling, why would you want torque steer?
Old 03-16-2004, 12:17 PM   #40
nindoo

Quote:
this man is educated.

SRT4 = FWD

Think about the SRT-4 before buying it. It has crazy power but its a neon body. I heard after 30k the cars body parts lossen up and rattle. Just wait a bit for more reviews.

For the slip differential, be careful on how you modify the suspension, really do the reaseach before buying tie-bars causing slip -differential its not safe and bad for the car's drivetrain. I'm not sure what suspension set-up is good for the SRT-4.