::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Kill Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
lucky

Cougar VS Si

Was a little leary of racing one of these (if modded) until this past Friday. We had past each other and he allways revved his motor at me but i was allways in a hurry to be somewhere so i didnt get to race then. But finally shut him up. Came up behind him on a deserted state Rt. and revved my car. He knew right away who it was so he slowed to 15mph(on a 55mph zone) and i kept an eye on his exaust to watch for the "Honda smoke" to spurt. When i saw it i punched it(both of us did). Of course since he was the first to punch it he took off about a small cars length. But as soon as i hit into second gear i was right on top of him (no nitrous either). By the time i hit third i almost collided w/ him so i was forced to brake. Lets just say i was a little dissapointed, since he did all that motor revving before we raced. Great fun and no one got pissy! I hate racing sore losers.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:47 PM   #2
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Nice.
At least there were no sore losers.

And welcome to HS.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #3
lucky

live near Dayton Ohio by any chance? Whats a fbp Si? Do you have the shifter on the dash?
Old 01-04-2003, 06:57 PM   #4
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by lucky
live near Dayton Ohio by any chance? Whats a fbp Si? Do you have the shifter on the dash?

Lol... Actually yes I do. I didn't notice your location. I live in Centerville. FBP is the color, Flamenco Black Pearl. And no, I don't have the shifter on the dash. That's for the new Si's.

Good to see someone else from Ohio.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:02 PM   #5
lucky

Ive contimplated over getting one of them, nice hb cars. Kinda looks like the Focus SVT (except the wheels look nicer on the Ford). Hopefully built better than the Focus'
Old 01-04-2003, 07:06 PM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Ive contimplated over getting one of them, nice hb cars. Kinda looks like the Focus SVT (except the wheels look nicer on the Ford). Hopefully built better than the Focus'
I'm not sure I like the new Si's that much. Kinda wierd looking. But yeah I'm sure they are built a bit better than the Focus.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:27 PM   #7
ShEaNy

lol nice kill....looks by the number of mods u have...u would take one...i took a Si and a cougar once....i dont know what he(cougar) had cept his exhaust and this big sticker..(50 horse )
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:16 PM   #8
lucky

Cougar's really are not fast unless you highly mod them and do some weight cutting. Stock they run 16.0 1/4 mile My 1/4 mile time is w/ out Nitrous. Wont know what i run until this spring (w/ Nitrous). Cant wait for kilcare to reopen!!
Old 01-04-2003, 09:44 PM   #9
ShEaNy

wow...im starting to think my car will run high 15's..because im beating all these low 16 cars....maybe im going cause the weirdest cars have beaten me....ill find out this summer as well..
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:56 PM   #10
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Cougar's really are not fast unless you highly mod them and do some weight cutting. Stock they run 16.0 1/4 mile My 1/4 mile time is w/ out Nitrous. Wont know what i run until this spring (w/ Nitrous). Cant wait for kilcare to reopen!!

14.47@103.2 without nos.... i think its safe to wave this flag

i would of believed WITH nos but that motor will not go 103.2 mph with bolton and manifold thats ridiculous....

so your car traps the roughly same as lt1's with work done to them, and traps the same as some bad ls1 drivers??? think not

2640lbs with full tank minus me w/ 302cid
check out the crustang and 88 cherokee @
www.cardomain.com/id/ford50forlife
ford50forlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 12:08 AM   #11
lucky

Contour SVT's run mid to high 14's(exact same 2.5L as mine except the cams). Why would it seem impossible for a Cougar that weighs quite a bit less and has a large amount of computer upgrades and bolt-ons run the same if not a little better?? Very conceivable if you ask me. I didnt understand your remarks on the trap speed, gonna have to speak to me like a 15 year old i geuss
Old 01-05-2003, 04:41 AM   #12
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Contour SVT's run mid to high 14's(exact same 2.5L as mine except the cams). Why would it seem impossible for a Cougar that weighs quite a bit less and has a large amount of computer upgrades and bolt-ons run the same if not a little better?? Very conceivable if you ask me. I didnt understand your remarks on the trap speed, gonna have to speak to me like a 15 year old i geuss

ok i dunno why im even up this late but whatever , i dont doubt your time (actually i do) .... but i realize from the trap speed this is probable a GTECH time and not a actual TRACK TIME, because you have no clue about the 60'ft and the trap speed and are obviously out of your mind if you think stock svt contours do mid 14's as well (LOOK AT MY NEXT POST FOR ACTUAL SVT CONTOUR STATS).....

GTECH SAID MY JEEP 1988 did 15.4@99mph... i can tell you that my speedo said 79mph...

if it WAS at a track im telling you without the use of nitrous oxide it is IMPOSSIBLE for the amount of mods you have to do 103.2mph in the 1/4mile
FYI COUNTOURS DO LOW 15's STOCK.... AND THERE TRAP SPEED IS LOW 90's... SO WITH JUST 100 lbs lighter and about the same amount of hp you run 10mph quicker???? OK BRO !

COMPARO :STOCK MUSTANG 5.0.... runs about 95mph in the 1/4mile to run 104.11mph in the 1/4 for me required: GEARS, UPPER AND LOWER INTAKE, INJECTORS, RAM AIR INTAKE, FULL NON CATALYTIC EXHAUST, UNDERDRIVE PULLEYS, and free mods....

OVERALL GAIN: 9.11mph

STOCK 2.5L DURATEC V6 COUGAR runs about mid 80 traps in the 1/4 mile... and your telling me that you gain 17mph in the 1/4 mile with the same mods and LOWER GAINS AND LESS GEARING??? NOPE try again... maybe with nos, but EVEN WITH IT ID WAVE THE BS FLAG... ive seen these cars and it takes POWERADDERS to run that trap speed....

its NOT FEASIBLE FOR A 165-170FWHP CAR WITH about 2900-3000 RACE WEIGHT TO RUN 103.2 maybe 14.4 but not the said trap speed.
my car is 230rwhp and with a 2778 race weight runs consistent 13.5@104's and your telling me without nos from a roll youd be at my door at the end of the 1/4 mile??? when i have hp advantage (60+RWHP), weight advantage(200+lbs), gearing advantage(3.73's), and torque advantage(100+RWTQ)?? cmon POST THE SLIPS

Last edited by ford50forlife : 01-05-2003 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:10 AM   #13
ford50forlife
4th Gear

heres some SVT contour stats as well bro... IT TAKES NITROUS OXIDE (100 shot) TO DO MID 14's! IT DOESNT DO IT STOCK!!!!

stock is 15.4@91mph

nitrous 14.5@100.5mph

http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/html/puff.html

heres a stock 1/4mile comparo @ 15.6@90.5

http://www.thecarplace.com/svt.htm

heres a link that shows a 0-60 of 7.9 seconds for the svt contour (ROUGHLY high 15's):

http://www.autoworld.com/news/Ford/1999_Contour.htm

AND HERES A DYNO LINK OF ONE THATS BONE STOCK:

http://www.shotimes.com/SHO2svtdyno.html

165fwhp and 3200lbs is about 15.4@91(IN THE BEST COMPARO IT RAN 15.4 MIND YOU!) so YOUR car with about 165-170fwhp and 2900-3000lbs raceweight is NOT GOING TO BE 103.2mph! ITS NOT FEASIBLE! and i dont see 14.4 either but maybe with spray its definately possible...

so until slips are posted im pulling the flag on your times+trap speed

Last edited by ford50forlife : 01-05-2003 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:58 AM   #14
lucky

wow, you are up late. Go to bed dude! Ok ok ok, all g-tech. This has caused a huge oubreack of fighting on other forums so lets not argue over the g-tech, not worth it. But i will have to say ive let my friend that owns a 1998 Formala w/ only exhaust bolt-on and ran within 2 tenths of what it should run (he tried 3 times). My other friend has a 4.3 chevy ss truck and he does have slips that say 15.9 and 16.1, the g-tech gave him 16.3 and 15.9. Awful close if you ask me (not the mph, ill agree w/ you on that one). My cousin also owns one and hes running a 2000 GSR w/ headers exhaust, ignition, cold air(box) and runs a 15.1-15.3 on his g-tech. Kinda close. I will have to say i usually dont quote the mph, i really shouldnt have. Ill take it off, cool. But not the time, im convinced along w/ other motor heads around here what i run on the 1/4 mile. Truthfully, until this spring when Kilcare opens and i run for slips i wont have great info. Just word of mouth for now.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:14 PM   #15
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
wow, you are up late. Go to bed dude! Ok ok ok, all g-tech. This has caused a huge oubreack of fighting on other forums so lets not argue over the g-tech, not worth it. But i will have to say ive let my friend that owns a 1998 Formala w/ only exhaust bolt-on and ran within 2 tenths of what it should run (he tried 3 times). My other friend has a 4.3 chevy ss truck and he does have slips that say 15.9 and 16.1, the g-tech gave him 16.3 and 15.9. Awful close if you ask me (not the mph, ill agree w/ you on that one). My cousin also owns one and hes running a 2000 GSR w/ headers exhaust, ignition, cold air(box) and runs a 15.1-15.3 on his g-tech. Kinda close. I will have to say i usually dont quote the mph, i really shouldnt have. Ill take it off, cool. But not the time, im convinced along w/ other motor heads around here what i run on the 1/4 mile. Truthfully, until this spring when Kilcare opens and i run for slips i wont have great info. Just word of mouth for now.

insomniac ... i knew gtech times when i see em....

what i dont get is that my jeep runs (I THINK ABOUT 16.0 @ best) and gtech quoted me with 3 people in it doing 15.4@99mph my speedo said 79mph and it clicked off 60mph when my speedo was at 48mph... i find that hard to believe

but on the lighter note i do hear you because some of my friends have used it and its DEAD NUTS ON! one on a saab @19.9 (LOL!)
and one on a 302 4 barrel torino @18.3 (LOL) ITS ALL ABOUT CENTERING IT and the level of the road.... i bet yours was on a downhill (no mean to make fun) but i picture your car a bit quicker than the svt's i bet you will do low 15's high 14's and the mph will be around MID 90 at best without spray! with spray you can hope for low 14's but the mph will hover near triple digits...

BEST OF LUCK

Old 01-05-2003, 12:30 PM   #16
lucky

Busted i geuss! The g-tech is VERY touchy when it comes to the road you are using. It cant even have the slightest angle to it or you will get a "to good to be true" reading. We use a certain road around here that is 1 mile long and has been used the last 30 years as a 1/4 mile run road( it even has the start lines and finish lines painted on it from the old school boys). You could be very correct about my times, cause i dont have proof except the races ive won. But then again its not always the car your in its the driver. Ive always quoted 65% driver 35% car (unless your driving a automatic Viper). Thanks!
Old 01-27-2003, 06:37 PM   #17
Tarpit

G-techs = poop.

But I pull high trap speeds for slow 1/4 times at the track. my best was a 16.42 @ 84mph. And that trap speed is rather consistent.

And on another note. The V6 cougars are really that slow stock?
Old 01-27-2003, 07:01 PM   #18
lucky

yep
Old 01-27-2003, 08:19 PM   #19
1QUIKGST

wow I'm glad someone called BS on that, not the kill, the times in your sig....MPH way to high, I ran a 14.3 @ 99.7 spinning tires and all.....get it to the track and get "REAL" times. I bet you'll be suprised at what it REALLY runs.

We have a girl on www.ok-speed.com that thinks her coog is gonna be the shit, I even told her I would give her 2 cars....she wants to take me up on the offer....hehehehe

When you get some track times post em , I REALLY do want to see your numbers...good luck man.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:58 PM   #20
lucky

hmm ok, planning on that won this spring. Thanks. Ill post the #' w/ nitrous & w/out nitrous!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:43 PM   #21
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by 1QUIKGST
When you get some track times post em , I REALLY do want to see your numbers...good luck man.

I'll go with him to Kilkare to be a witness. I wanna see a cougar run. I've never seen a newer cougar run the 1/4.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:54 AM   #22
T_Si

Si vs Cougar

I'm wondering what year Si did you race, and with all the mods done to your cougar how much power do you think you have?

Just to let you know I've raced a cougar before, its pretty impressive stock , and probably will get the jump on a stock Si, but lets face it. Just how many stock Si's are out there, not much. So the chances of you getting your ass handed to you is probably high, especially if you ever ran into me. My Si is a sleeper, and fools always rush in, just to get beat down, so beware of that black Si out there.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:04 PM   #23
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Exclamation ??

quick question T-si i was looking at your mods list and doesnt seem like you listed the turbo there lol, what kinda are you running, and do you have any dyno numbers? ive always liked turbo si's, but seems they need a good dyno session to tune the best out of em ... regardless even the stupidess of si turbo drivers can get mid to low 13's on street tires

Old 02-10-2003, 07:29 PM   #24
lucky

Dont get to proud of that Si yet, my turbo manifold is being made and should be ready by late spring, ha ha!!! Besides your in Fl, im safe for now Besides my shot of Nitrous and all the porting and polishing that ive done to my intake and exhaust would take a turbo Si w/ no more than 7-8 psi. Not scared, never will be, its just to damn fun!!!Later! Oh yeah, it was a 1998 Si. Modded w/ the regular stuff like headers intake exhaust etc....
Old 02-10-2003, 08:58 PM   #25
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Oh yeah, it was a 1998 Si. Modded w/ the regular stuff like headers intake exhaust etc....

Sure about that?

99-00 were the only years for the DOHC coupe

Then again it could've been one of the MANY wannabe Si's.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:47 AM   #26
T_Si

Re: turbo size

Quote:
Originally posted by ford50forlife
quick question T-si i was looking at your mods list and doesnt seem like you listed the turbo there lol, what kinda are you running, and do you have any dyno numbers?

ford50forlife: The answer to your questions about my Si is on my web page, which is listed below, so check it out.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:59 AM   #27
T_Si

Quote:
my turbo manifold is being made..... : Besides my shot of Nitrous and all the porting and polishing that ive done to my intake and exhaust would take a turbo Si w/ no more than 7-8 psi. it was a 1998 Si. Modded w/ the regular stuff like headers intake exhaust etc....

Well Lucky the question is how lucky do you feel. Its going to take a lot more than a lightly modded Cougar to even keep up with me much less beat me. So keep on modding your Cougar, even add that turbo , for you never know you might get lucky.

Since there's no such thing as a 1998 Si, I would probably guess that you raced a lowly Sohc EX or Dx, with maybe a Air filter and a big muffler. So don't get so hyped up over small fry, the big one got away.

I'am wondering if you are going to upgrade the internals, like low compression forged pistons and stonger rods, etc. If you do this, and go with the turbo option, you will make good power.

keep me posted on your build up, later
Old 02-11-2003, 01:10 PM   #28
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by T_Si

Since there's no such thing as a 1998 Si, I would probably guess that you raced a lowly Sohc EX or Dx, with maybe a Air filter and a big muffler. So don't get so hyped up over small fry, the big one got away.

??? big one got away? sorry i just have to laugh at that, why do you rank on cougars if they make more hp stock and have more potential than a all motor si? dont start on that 100hp / liter thing either, cause stock to stock there is hp to be had left in the 2.5l as oppossed to the 1.6l, motor to motor, its just a better starting point (at least hp wise lol the weight thing kinda screws it up :o ). its just a matter of not building a motor 90% to its full potential and putting on the market like hondas always do, thats all (i.e. si, new nsx, rsx, type-r) none the less its very impressive to say the least though, but i rarely see any all motor si's running some serious numbers, yet agian i dont see ANY COUGARS running it but i just had to comment on a blanket statement lol

Last edited by ford50forlife : 02-11-2003 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:11 PM   #29
lucky

[quote]Originally posted by T_Si
[b]Well Lucky the question is how lucky do you feel. Its going to take a lot more than a lightly modded Cougar to even keep up with me much less beat me. So keep on modding your Cougar, even add that turbo , for you never know you might get lucky.

Response= Hehehe, take it easy there!! Besides i cant buy anything else, im maxed out w/ boltons! AND, ive never been called lightly modded Cougar, your the first.

Response= Thats funny because i have ran a ex before, beat him by more than 10 car lengths(ouch). Your right im not up w/ the dates Si's were made just giving a uneducated geuss. Sorry, ill be more correct next time.

I'am wondering if you are going to upgrade the internals, like low compression forged pistons and stonger rods, etc. If you do this, and go with the turbo option, you will make good power.

Response= Ummm, if you looked up the 2000 2.5l it is only running 8:2:1 compression W/ forged pistons. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!! No need to do anything w/ the compression, i want my motor to run awhile so im keeping my compression down, thats the smartest thing to do if running boost, or nitrous!! Besides, the Cougar on Neco forums that has a turbo is pushing 300 HP (yes thats w/ dyno proof), and its just a little turbo (8psi?)! Not that im going to be pushing that much but w/ the shot of nitrous ill be runnung down (maybe) Camaro ss! Not Si's! Now dont take me personally, im not bashing your car at all, i like Si's, i just think they are overated(sometimes). Maybe after i get the MGA motor swapped out you can race it

Old 02-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #30
lucky

Oh, your car does look nice! I bet you couldnt fit anything else in that engine bay?!!!!
Old 02-11-2003, 03:19 PM   #31
ford50forlife
4th Gear

man i say just upgrade the shot to 100 and run that turbo si you got the advantage off the line with the nittos too. i think your motor can handle it. it would be a crazy race

its kinda unfair to compare a v-6 turbo to an i-4 turbo lol.

Old 02-12-2003, 04:18 PM   #32
lucky

Ive got the 100 shot nozzel if and when its needed
Old 02-12-2003, 04:20 PM   #33
lucky

Im not boosted..........yet. Hey now its also unfair for Mustangs always wanting to race my 2.5L, life just isnt fair.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:40 PM   #34
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Im not boosted..........yet. Hey now its also unfair for Mustangs always wanting to race my 2.5L, life just isnt fair.

lol how is that unfair? you bought it for 1, and 2 its your choice as to who you pick your fights with

Old 02-12-2003, 05:01 PM   #35
lucky

Hey now! I dont pick fights w/ people that have 302ci's. Atleast not yet!!
Old 02-12-2003, 05:12 PM   #36
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Hey now! I dont pick fights w/ people that have 302ci's. Atleast not yet!!

one day, young one one day

one question.... Got intercooler?

Old 02-12-2003, 07:30 PM   #37
lucky

wtf!! Damn havnt seen that before, have heard about it many times though. Nice shot!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:52 PM   #38
Civickid0to60

are you sure they run 16's stock? cause i mean....my car runs a 16 out the door i think.....someone said that on here. but, i think my car is slow so i dunno.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:54 PM   #39
Civickid0to60

i thought cougars were faster then my car stock is what im saying.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:17 PM   #40
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Civickid0to60
i thought cougars were faster then my car stock is what im saying.

they are, its a high 16 as oppossed from a low 16 lol