::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Kill Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2002, 11:52 AM   #1
SVT Cobra

C5 Corvette Vs. 96 Cobra

It finally happened. I have been waiting to race one for so long.
OF COURSE i was not driving at the moment, My friend Jeff was. He has an 87 5.0 with racing suspension, and other crap. nevermind that though. i was pretty not sober leaving the bars in new haven around 1:30 so he was less drunk than i, so he drove.
on 95 coming home i see a silver vette and demand he races him.
and finally a vette owner that wasnt a pussy. jeff drops into 3rd after the vette took off a second before us. we reeled that vette in reaaaal quick. by the end of third my car was a car and a half ahead. by 4th gear 4 car lengthes. shift into 5th goin around 145ish and shut down on the brakes. then the best part... after the vette CLEARLY LOSES, he does a ricer fly by and puts on the emergency lights. what a cornball. anyway i knew my car could take out a c5 and it was proved tonight.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #2
mt.biker

Old 11-24-2002, 12:40 PM   #3
SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker

you're right. it's bull shit. you were there. i forgot. even though i have beaten a new SS before as well. you're right. my car is slow. i lost real bad.

where is the bull shit? can you tell me? i'd like to know. and yes i know all about how strong an LS1's third gear is and how quick they are over 100mph. but my car is not stock. it is a driver's race. that thing could have been automatic for all i know. just cause the people with v8's on the board actually have good races with real cars, doesn't they are BS. the only BS i smell is your upper lip.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:44 PM   #4
veX

I have to admit, it pains me to admit this <----- HUGE c5 fan

but they can be beaten. I don't know if what you described was a real race or not (especially since you were obviously a little under the weather when you wrote that) but whatever. Good kill anyway.

7 times out of 10, it's all about the driver. I'm not trying to defend anyone, I'm just saying a lot has to do with skill and willingness to exceed the speed limits to 145mph hehe. Most vette drivers are like 40+ years old. Many of them don't dick around on highways like the SHOULD.

Here's food for thought: My xr100r dirt bike (100 cc's and was a 4 stroke) could whoop the shit out of people riding 125 cc 2 strokes (about 3x the power of my bike). I was able to keep em at bay cuz I knew how to ride the track better. Better driver = the winner.

The vette will be back again some day. Try taking on that mallett 427.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:46 PM   #5
veX

my boy also beat a c5 in his 5.0 all he's got is upper and lower intake and full exhaust.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:46 PM   #6
veX

Oh and Cobra, you ever go to DQ in Monroe for that car show?
Old 11-24-2002, 01:02 PM   #7
V8killimports

Quote:

Why? C5 really is not that fast. I know it is a car way out your your league... but not everybody's.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 01:03 PM   #8
SVT Cobra

hey. u know dan right. u prob know of me. we raced.
i've driven past the car show, never stopped by tho. it was usually too late when i got there. they arent still on are they?
Old 11-24-2002, 01:31 PM   #9
veX

Yeah--you could say I know dan...

hehe we've been good friends since 4th grade.

I don't think I've met you. The only kid I know with a Cobra is Greg...and he's from Trumbull
Old 11-24-2002, 01:49 PM   #10
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

nice kill

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 03:09 PM   #11
AJ1978TA

Nice kill man! I'm also dan's friend, and I hope to get a run with his car too sometime in December, even though I have 0 traction, but I want to see how I measure up. I saw the vid of him wax a c5 from a stop. From a roll I would expect the C5 to win.....But dan lost to a stock cobra from a roll before his intake/headlight removal upgrade lol. So with your mods, good driving, and an automatic/shit driving on the C5 part, I can see you winning.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:51 PM   #12
ford50forlife
4th Gear

MUAHHAHAAHH FORD POWA OF 200 FLYWHEEL HORSE SON!, I BE WAXING MCLARENS..... lol i love underdog races thats the only reason i lined up with a c5 anyway, and he didnt pull ME TO 125MPH AND HE PASSED AT LIKe 135-140MPH but I WAS IN OVERDRIVE ANYWAY and the 1/4 is over WAAAAY before that point, anyway GOOD JOB DAVE, and we must run tonight from a roll, AGAIN lofl

2640lbs with full tank minus me w/ 302cid
check out the crustang and 88 cherokee @
www.cardomain.com/id/ford50forlife
ford50forlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 10:43 PM   #13
juvenile

Quote:

Considering that a turbo'd civic killed that C5 a while ago, I think his SVT could take it!
Old 11-25-2002, 01:05 AM   #14
veX

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile
Considering that a turbo'd civic killed that C5 a while ago, I think his SVT could take it!

...and naturally we forget all about driver skill...

Old 11-25-2002, 06:39 AM   #15
drdingo21

it is a good kill!

but honestly do you guys have to bahs a import in almost every post you make? Im not try to be a dick....
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 10:21 AM   #16
Novtec1

Quote:
Originally posted by veX
...and naturally we forget all about driver skill...

thats true in every race...don't matter how fast the car is if you cna't drive it its not gonna perform the way its suppose to.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:41 AM   #17
veX

........that's my point........
Old 11-25-2002, 10:44 AM   #18
veX

Quote:
Originally posted by drdingo21
it is a good kill!

but honestly do you guys have to bahs a import in almost every post you make? Im not try to be a dick....

Only when someone else starts talkin out of their ass.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:14 AM   #19
juvenile

Quote:
Originally posted by veX
Only when someone else starts talkin out of their ass.

This is a bit off topic but I went to your ricer page and saw this

"Exhibit A: This idiot was obviously in such a rush to take a picture of his ride, he couldn’t even wait to save up enough allowance to afford a front left (and highly probable right) rim. "

Do you know WHY that's done? If my reasoning is correct on this, the civic is a FWD car, correct? yup. So that means there is more weight in the front than the back. Now to balance this out, or make it more evenly, he puts rims in the back and steelies in the front.
I'm not saying that this guy did it for that reason, seeing as how it's mostly stock engine, but that's the reason why it is sometimes done!
Old 11-25-2002, 11:20 AM   #20
AJ1978TA

But isn't steel heavier than an aluminum wheel?
Old 11-25-2002, 11:34 AM   #21
juvenile

I'm pretty sure the rims he has on there aren't that light either! Again, I'm just thinking this through, not saying it's like that.
Also the 16's on the back (seems like 16's), wouldn't they be heavier than 14 steelies up front?
Old 11-25-2002, 04:53 PM   #22
ford50forlife
4th Gear

LOFL juvenile you saw that but you didnt see the true meaning of the site was the INTAKE NEAR THE RADIATOR OVERFLOW quote THAT IS CLASSIC EXAMPLE of stupidity, oh and i really dont see why thats a big deal vex i mean at least he had the decency to save some TORQUE MULTIPLICATION most "RICERS" just slap 18-20's on and call themselves a "TUNER" i mean you need like a 55 shot of zex to make up for it LOFL

Old 11-25-2002, 07:08 PM   #23
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile
I'm pretty sure the rims he has on there aren't that light either! Again, I'm just thinking this through, not saying it's like that.
Also the 16's on the back (seems like 16's), wouldn't they be heavier than 14 steelies up front?

No .. stell rims are very heavy as opposed to alum.. I picked up a 18" alum wheels and it was still much lighter than the 15" steel.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:08 PM   #24
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i typed up a long reply and IE crashed... im gonna do a cliffnote version.. if you want me to elaborate more i will...

the farther out the weight of the wheel is located the more tq it uses to spin idealy a light small rim ouw be the best, but you can compromise for a heavyer small rim or a lighter large rim. there is a downfall to larger rims though, the thin tire wall will not flex enough to put a long contact patch. you may have a 7inch wide tire, but only 3 inches long are touching the ground... 21 square inches... now if you have a 6 inch wide tire but can get 5 or 6 inches long (even more with deflating, but im kinda exagerating/pulling numbers from my ass for an example, cause a 7 inch wide tire on a thin rim can only expand so far wide, but a small rim can go wider, but lets keep this simple) so 5x6 is 30sq inches. thats more of a contact patch.

now onto the light big rims robbing tq.. the easyest way to show this.. get a 1 ft long pole and put a 1lb wieght on it, spin it up 45degrees or even enough, just so you feel the weight of it. now get a 3 ft pole and do the same thing. now take a 2lb weight and put it back on that 1 ft pole and do it again. im doing this in my head, so im not calculating the actual force, but the 2ft weigh spinning on a 1 foot pole should feel lighter than a 1 lb weight ona 3 ft pole... translation.. you need less force to turn the heavyer weight since its located closer to the center. i have 16lb 17's that are 7.5 inches wide (215 tires) and a 40 sidewall (86mm i think) i nkow my stock rims were 19 lbs, and 6.5 inches wide, i had 195/55/15s i think(whatever maintaines the stock diameter compaired to 125/40/17) and it was noticeable the better traction i got off the line with those time. i never had a chance to take the 15's to the 1/4mile since i sold them, but its a very common to use smaller wheels to put more power to the ground.

a guy i know with a very very powerfull 240sx (has a longer kill list than anyone here) dyno'd better with 17lb 14's than 13lb 18's. he has a meaty tire on the 18's so he can get good launches on the street.

well i said i wasnt going to make it long, and i basicaly went over all my points im more detail than i planned, but ok... i think ya get the point

contact patch = lenght x width of your tire
rotational mass matters. the lighter and smaller the rims the better. you can compromise size for width(its hard winding a 15x8 tire with the correct offset for fwd) if you can keep a decent contact patch for off the line acceleration. wider and bigger is better for handling, cause the sidewalls wont flex as much and you have a large lateral grip

if anythings confusing, tell me, i typed this fast, and am more than willing to explane anything. im not saying anyones wrong, consider this a lesson on matching size and weight.

Old 11-25-2002, 08:12 PM   #25
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
No .. stell rims are very heavy as opposed to alum.. I picked up a 18" alum wheels and it was still much lighter than the 15" steel.

there are light 15' steelies. and heavy 18' aluminum rims. the rims in that pic look like a cheap show brand rim, so im guessing they tip the scale at over 20 lbs if they are 17's. cast aluminum requires more metal to keep good strength than fordged or semi forged. 3 piece fordged rims are ideal because they can make each part of the rim that provides stregth(outer part that holds the tire, the middle part thats the "spokes", and the center peice where the lugs bolt) the strongest and lightest possible, then connect them all.

Old 11-25-2002, 10:41 PM   #26
ford50forlife
4th Gear

the reason he dynoed better with 14's is because TORQUE multiplication Thats y no offense but the whole article is summed up in that one sentece LOFL

Old 11-25-2002, 11:54 PM   #27
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by ford50forlife
the reason he dynoed better with 14's is because TORQUE multiplication Thats y no offense but the whole article is summed up in that one sentece LOFL

acutlay, he kept the same outer diameter for his tires. you missed ALOT of you think that sumed it up. i could have jsut said that but then someone might wonder why. i know its nice when someone explanes to me why something works the way it does.

OT: he put down 402hp 412ft/lb on the 18's not sure on the 14's, but i remeber it was better

Old 11-26-2002, 12:07 AM   #28
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
acutlay, he kept the same outer diameter for his tires. you missed ALOT of you think that sumed it up. i could have jsut said that but then someone might wonder why. i know its nice when someone explanes to me why something works the way it does.

OT: he put down 402hp 412ft/lb on the 18's not sure on the 14's, but i remeber it was better

Uhh...it shold dyno the same power regardless of wheel size.. that would have to do with 1/4 mile and 0-60.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:09 AM   #29
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
Uhh...it shold dyno the same power regardless of wheel size.. that would have to do with 1/4 mile and 0-60.

Nevermind we are talking about weight not the size.. misunderstood..
Old 11-26-2002, 03:10 AM   #30
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Good kill SVT. seems those gears come in handy once in a while, huh?

As for all the BS callers...what...you think a Vette is invincible. Even though I have a ton more mods than SVT, I can't remember the last time a C5 came within 5 BUS LENGTHS of me in a race. They're some decent cars....but they're just cars.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:49 PM   #31
ShEaNy

good kill
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 11:18 AM   #32
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
As for all the BS callers...what...you think a Vette is invincible. Even though I have a ton more mods than SVT, I can't remember the last time a C5 came within 5 BUS LENGTHS of me in a race. They're some decent cars....but they're just cars.

yeah a stock c5 vette is still the low end corvette production car, he has the high end mustang to start with. people wana call BS on everything now a-days

Old 11-28-2002, 11:11 AM   #33
ford50forlife
4th Gear

sad part is driver is also a concern i mean when i raced that c5 on tape i had him by 2+ cars..... TO 60 MPH LOFL! and even though HIS car is AUTOMATIC its still a 13.3 second car STOCK so i dunno how you could **** it up but oh well

WHAT PISSES ME OFF IS THAT THE KID IN THE c5 HAS A ****ING SUPRA thats "gonna" be pushing 1300 flywheel horse (I KID YOU NOT) i swear this thing is gonna rival titans motorsport supra for the street legal title..... but i cant stand him being all cocky after races he loses like, I COULD GIVE YOU 4 CARS, START IN 3rd AND STILL BEAT YOU. Im like "OK BUDDY WHERE IS IT???? oh thats right its in the shop for you putting 30 lbs of boost on it and sheering the crank pully".

but id love to see him go up against the datsun at my shop, this 350cid does 10.50 on motor and then has got 400shot on fogger, 200 on plate and does 8.30's
AND if that wasnt enough hes putting in a built 454cid stroker for 496cid that did 9.13 on MOTOR (AND THATS THE RUN HE BLEW IT LOFL)
oh and the 600 shot is going in on that too can you say 7.50's

Old 11-28-2002, 02:50 PM   #34
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:

can you say overkill! damn.. 600shot... godda love big blocks

Old 12-09-2002, 08:32 AM   #35
Matrix

Quote:
sad part is driver is also a concern i mean when i raced that c5 on tape i had him by 2+ cars..... TO 60 MPH LOFL! and even though HIS car is AUTOMATIC its still a 13.3 second car STOCK so i dunno how you could **** it up but oh well

WHAT PISSES ME OFF IS THAT THE KID IN THE c5 HAS A ****ING SUPRA thats "gonna" be pushing 1300 flywheel horse (I KID YOU NOT) i swear this thing is gonna rival titans motorsport supra for the street legal title..... but i cant stand him being all cocky after races he loses like, I COULD GIVE YOU 4 CARS, START IN 3rd AND STILL BEAT YOU. Im like "OK BUDDY WHERE IS IT???? oh thats right its in the shop for you putting 30 lbs of boost on it and sheering the crank pully".

but id love to see him go up against the datsun at my shop, this 350cid does 10.50 on motor and then has got 400shot on fogger, 200 on plate and does 8.30's
AND if that wasnt enough hes putting in a built 454cid stroker for 496cid that did 9.13 on MOTOR (AND THATS THE RUN HE BLEW IT LOFL)

ROFLMAO!! I've heard of "magazine racing" but "shop racing"?!
That's a new one on me. LOL!

Nice kill, BTW.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:35 AM   #36
veX

Quote:
Originally posted by Matrix
ROFLMAO!! I've heard of "magazine racing" but "shop racing"?!
That's a new one on me. LOL!

Nice kill, BTW.

The shop that's being discussed is where you go to add performance parts. Pepboys is not a shop. The places where you have your graphics, tachs, and neons installed is not the same shop. Fast cars happen to go to these speed shops to get repaired or become faster. They acheive this not by adding a wing or ground effects, but by adding horsepower and torque.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:18 PM   #37
Matrix

Quote:
Originally posted by veX

The shop that's being discussed is where you go to add performance parts. Pepboys is not a shop. The places where you have your graphics, tachs, and neons installed is not the same shop. Fast cars happen to go to these speed shops to get repaired or become faster. They acheive this not by adding a wing or ground effects, but by adding horsepower and torque.

...Don't be a ****in' dick.

What the...?! Listen, son. I understand the workings of a car, and the differences between shops more than you would think. I have spent countless hours working on all types of cars, doing all kinds of work. I am a veteran of the Chicago racing scene, and I have numerous connections at REAL shops all over Chicago.

All I was saying was that it's very easy to say "Oh yeah?! Well when my car gets out of the shop, it's gonna make XXX horsepower and XXX torque, and run XX.X in the 1/4 mile!!" And it's almost as useless to say that as it is to quote mag times. You don't know what your car is going to run until you run it. Different cars respond to different modifications in many ways. To put an exact number on what your car will run when it gets out of the shop is ridiculous. THAT was my point.

Got that, tough guy? Now watch that attitude, or it might get ya in trouble.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:19 AM   #38
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Heads up matrix

Quote:
Originally posted by Matrix
What the...?! Listen, son. I understand the workings of a car, and the differences between shops more than you would think. I have spent countless hours working on all types of cars, doing all kinds of work. I am a veteran of the Chicago racing scene, and I have numerous connections at REAL shops all over Chicago.

All I was saying was that it's very easy to say "Oh yeah?! Well when my car gets out of the shop, it's gonna make XXX horsepower and XXX torque, and run XX.X in the 1/4 mile!!" And it's almost as useless to say that as it is to quote mag times. You don't know what your car is going to run until you run it. Different cars respond to different modifications in many ways. To put an exact number on what your car will run when it gets out of the shop is ridiculous. THAT was my point.

Got that, tough guy? Now watch that attitude, or it might get ya in trouble.

quick heads up, car ALREADY ran 9.13 with the unworked 496 stroker that was at the shop ON MOTOR (THATS THE RUN HE BLEW THE MOTOR) he put the 350 back in (500 motor horsepower 1900 lbs raceweight) and HE ALREADY RAN 8.30's with the 600 shot. The car is not a ghetto dream car man, HE RACES DAILY FOR MONEY, ive seen him race his datsun IN THE POORING RAIN...., whats EVEN worse is people CHALLENGE HIM TO IT, HE WILL DRIVE IT DAILY TOO HE DOESNT CARE

so its only plausible that roughly 300 more hp and like 500+ more torque would yeild about 8 tenths gain in the 1/4 mile

This guy is hilarious too, he raced my mustang with his "WIFE's" late 70's monte carlo, with a decent 327 carbed in it... i thought he was going down, and from a roll it was dead even, then we went to a stop...... all i saw was that cars nose pointing up... that was all... found out he paid 2.5K for it, gutted the whole ****ing thing, cut the front suspension off, and managed a 12.50's out of it @99 <------ THATS RIGHT DOUBLE DIGIT TRAPS.... dude knows what hes doing..

Last edited by ford50forlife : 12-12-2002 at 08:24 AM.