::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Kill Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2002, 09:33 PM   #1
jlepore123

i got smoked by a nissan se-r spec v

i pulled up to a light and found a new nissan next to me, i was not sure how fast they were and i wanted to test him out, so i rev and he revs back, light turns green and we hit it, he takes me off the line, after the vtec kicks in a cath up alittle but he pulls farther and farther after every gear. after we got to the next light i asked him what he had and he said he was running stock, damn those cars must be fast and hella good if moded

ooh yea i have a 99 civic ex with intake, exhaust and headers
Old 05-01-2002, 01:38 PM   #2
blownteggy

them things are friggin quick
175-hp 2.5-liter DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine
6-speed manual transmission
Limited-slip differential
not to nice lookin on the outside though
Old 05-01-2002, 02:37 PM   #3
toykilla

Re: i got smoked by a nissan se-r spec v

Quote:
Originally posted by jlepore123
after the vtec kicks in

LOL, thats funny
Old 05-01-2002, 03:17 PM   #4
blownteggy

the vtec pull on a sohc really isn't anything to brag about huh...
Old 05-01-2002, 07:17 PM   #5
Incubus

Re: Re: i got smoked by a nissan se-r spec v

Quote:

after the vtec kicks in

Hehe......there's nothing like being thrown back into your seat when the VTEC of a civic ex kicks in!
That 1.6 SOHC is a BEAST!!!
Old 05-02-2002, 12:15 AM   #6
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by blownteggy
the vtec pull on a sohc really isn't anything to brag about huh...

Its just funny, he refered to it like it was NOS or something. Like he could actually feel it kick in and it pulled a lot harder.

*tip* VTEC is NOT going to change a race out come if your already losing. Maybe if its neck and neck you might start to pull slighty on your opponent but if your losing when vtec does kick in your not going to catch up and pass.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:41 PM   #7
jlepore123

you guys are mean, i'm to this site and you come on here and criticize me, i'm a newbie and if you've ever driven a civic ex you'd know that they don't produce much power until the vtec kicks in, so yea it's a big deal especially when you're not running many mods. peace.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:01 PM   #8
blownteggy

Quote:
you guys are ****ing mean, i'm to this site and you come on here and criticize me, i'm a newbie and if you've ever driven a civic ex you'd know that they don't produce shit until the vtec kicks in, so yea it's a big deal especially when you're not running many mods. peace.
disclaimer* I am in no way talking shit. I have driven a civic ex and my girls accord ex. The vtec pull on a sohc is not that strong. If you feel like we came at you a little rough, I apologize on behalf of Incubus and Toykilla. BTW if you wanna feel thrown back into your seat, come ride in my teg or rx7..No harm..no foul. Peace.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:35 PM   #9
jlepore123

what should i do next to my car to make it faster, i don't have enough money for a turbo, but i want to feel it pull hard, let me know thanks guys for understanding.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:27 PM   #10
Incubus

Just havin' a bit of fun with ya! Try sitting in a Type R teg, the kick in that thing is cool. From what I have heard, the VTEC in a civic ex kicks in at around 3K RPM, as the VTEC is more of a gas saving feature on that engine, but whatever the case, at least you had fun.
I appologize if you took offense. I've been made fun of pretty bad on this page and others, but it's all just in good fun.
Welcome to HS!
Old 05-03-2002, 09:07 AM   #11
ShEaNy

lol yup damn nissans...i lost to a maxima i think the guy had something done like u wouln't belive .. he burned out like crazy..but another weird thing is..do u know how stupidly fast Toyota Corollas are? when i just had a I..i raced one that was "stock" and he killed me by 2 lenghts!!! he wouldn't tell me what was under there! unbeliveable.... then the other day (and i have I/E) i see another one with an E and some rims.. i pulled up and it was close the whole way then he just shifted and just beat me by like a lenght or less....meh maybe i'm just slow...
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 11:21 AM   #12
blownteggy

Quote:
what should i do next to my car to make it faster, i don't have enough money for a turbo, but i want to feel it pull hard, let me know thanks guys for understanding.
i would suggest a vtec controller for now, nitrous, hi-flow cat,...
the nitrous and vtec controller can be used when use save some money for a turbo or motor swap
Old 05-03-2002, 05:17 PM   #13
eXwiLL94

Yeah, I'm with jlepore123. I have a 94 EX (still stock, but working on I/E/H), but I feel the Vtec kick in at 3k RPM and it's great. Of course, I've never been driven a car with a turbo or supercharger before, so I'm sure i'm missing out. So... what's a Vtec controller? How much power does it add and how much does it cost? For N20, besides on the track and drag strip, when do ppl get to use it? I'm sure that ppl use it on the street, but won't that be too much of of a power shot for local roads with constantly changing red lights Thanks.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:58 PM   #14
blownteggy

Quote:
Originally posted by eXwiLL94
Yeah, I'm with jlepore123. I have a 94 EX (still stock, but working on I/E/H), but I feel the Vtec kick in at 3k RPM and it's great. Of course, I've never been driven a car with a turbo or supercharger before, so I'm sure i'm missing out. So... what's a Vtec controller? How much power does it add and how much does it cost? For N20, besides on the track and drag strip, when do ppl get to use it? I'm sure that ppl use it on the street, but won't that be too much of of a power shot for local roads with constantly changing red lights Thanks.
a vtec controller controls the vtec point, it allows you to change the rpm in which vtec is engaged. they run around $200. nitrous can be used anywhere nos is engaged through electronics or a toggle switch, or you can use a solenoid to engage nitrous at WOT(wide open throttle).
Old 05-03-2002, 06:58 PM   #15
Incubus

I know that the feel of the engine does change, once you enter VTEC range. I know because I've felt it in newer Preludes and Type R Tegs. It feels more or less like the engine suddenly is working harder and the RPM's climb a bit faster.
A VTEC controller can change the crossover point of VTEC. For example, I believe on a civic EX VTEC activates somewhere around 2,500 or 3,000 RPM. You could use the VTEC controller to raise the crossover point so you'll get more of a kick when it crosses over. I know other's who have VTEC preludes/GSR/Type R will either raise or lower the VTEC crossover point to take advantage of the more aggressive cam profile earlier, or are looking for a higher RPM kick.
I'm not too sure on this, but I'd say if you have race cams installed on a VTEC engine, you'd want to use the VTEC controller to raise the crossover point.
Nitrous can be used anytime, but just make sure you have plenty of street to accelerate on, and enough left over to stop before you run the red light. People who I know that have nitrous mainly use it on the freeway or street racing where there is a long strip.
Nitrous definitely adds power though, so your best "bang for the buck" ratio would be nitrous.....a good 50 or 60 shot will satisfy any speed freak's addiction.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:47 AM   #16
Kyle
elyK

I'm gonna bust out with some NOS once i get my 300zx
hehehe

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 07:07 PM   #17
Incubus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobbo
I'm gonna bust out with some NOS once i get my 300zx
hehehe

I nice direct port 150 shot should do the trick!
Old 05-05-2002, 01:26 PM   #18
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

If I'm not mistaken doesn't a d16...like in my del sol...kick in at around 5k....??? Please help me on this one...i'm going to do some research....??

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 02:24 PM   #19
Quist

Ya civic ex (d16) vtec kicks in at about 5,100 rpm. The Vtec controller can be used to lower the crossover point to lower so your engine is working harder to acceleterate rather than saving gas.
Old 05-05-2002, 04:42 PM   #20
Incubus

I completely defer to your knowledge on the VTEC crossover point for a civic ex! My only source of knowledge on that issue is a car salesman who also told me that the GSR, Type R, and Prelude VTEC crossover point was at 2,500 RPM also!
Old 05-05-2002, 11:56 PM   #21
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

No way that a type r GSR or even a lude's crossover point is that low...I will bet money on it. Seriously though...Not a friggen chance are the crossover points that low.

Just my 0.02 here...I don't see the point in buying a VTEC controller. honda has done years and years of research and testing to find the best RPM in which VTEC kicks in. So why buy a controller??
Please enlighten me on that one.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 05:01 PM   #22
Incubus

I told the salesman that he was a fool, of course. I also pointed out on the Prelude SH that I test drove that the VTEC crossover can be distinctly felt at 5200 RPM.
A VTEC controller would only, in my opinion, be usefull if your heavily modifying your drivetrain (cams, cam gears, valves, valve springs, retainers, pistons, rods, crank) so that the engine can rev much higher than the factory setting. The most effective use of the VTEC controller is actually RAISING the VTEC crossover because you'll get a more effective kick that way.
If your engine is modded (NA) to rev to, say, 9 or 10K RPM, then that means you most likely have more aggressive cams, which might actually cause you to run a slower 1/4 mile should the VTEC crossover happen at a relatively "low" 5,200 RPM. You'd probably want to raise the crossover by at least 1 or 2K RPM. Lowering the VTEC crossover on a more or less stock VTEC engine might actually cause you to run slower because your switching to a cam grind with higher lift and duration, meaning your sucking in more air and not doing much with it at lower RPM.
That's why VTEC was invented, for less aggressive cam grinds down low for bottom end grunt, and higher lift, higher duration cam grind for the top end when that extra O2 will actually benefit.

If I were to lower my VTEC crossover, I'd only lower it to 5,000 RPM which shouldn't make too much of a difference, but no more than that.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:58 PM   #23
ddr_max

yeah the se-r is extremely fast
Old 05-25-2002, 09:00 PM   #24
wongfeihung

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
lol yup damn nissans...i lost to a maxima i think the guy had something done like u wouln't belive .. he burned out like crazy..but another weird thing is..do u know how stupidly fast Toyota Corollas are? when i just had a I..i raced one that was "stock" and he killed me by 2 lenghts!!! he wouldn't tell me what was under there! unbeliveable.... then the other day (and i have I/E) i see another one with an E and some rims.. i pulled up and it was close the whole way then he just shifted and just beat me by like a lenght or less....meh maybe i'm just slow...

naw man, your not slow, those little corollas kick butt yo, i dunno what hp or torque is in those things but dang..they sure can rock it up. i gotz a 94 civic ex and i raced a stock corolla (i dunno what year, but like 96ish) and it beat me off the line and i couldnt' catch up..muahah..maybe im slow..but i know for a fact that those corolla's are purty quick.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:25 AM   #25
srshark69

VTEC @ 3k? huh... I have a 97 civ EX and my vtec doesnt kick in till 4,800. I have never seen a VTEC kick in that low. My friend has a 2000 Accord V6 VTEC and hes doesnt kick in till about the same.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:23 PM   #26
Grey16

This is my question on my motor its a B16a and my vtec kicks in at like 5800 or so my redline is 8500 so I;m sitting in vtec for awhile but it doen't pull as hard as I thought it would. Could this be because I'm running a LS tranny from a non vtec car? I'm waiting for my new tranny which is from a JDM B16a will I feel it kick in harder with that tranny? This may be a stuip question and may not make sense I'm sorry if its that way.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:32 PM   #27
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey16
This may be a stuip question and may not make sense I'm sorry if its that way.

repeat after me...

the only stupid question is the question not asked.

thats why we're here. to learn.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:48 PM   #28
juvenile

The new Corolla S is supposed to (or so I heard) put out 180 hp in the engine. dunno if it's true
Old 05-28-2002, 11:14 PM   #29
Maxvla

corolla doesnt deserve power. toyota give me your engine!!!
Old 05-29-2002, 06:23 PM   #30
Grey16

Attn: Maxvla

The only stuip question is question not asked.

But no really if anyone can help me with that question thanks.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:54 AM   #31
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

The torque on the Nissans is nice. My friend has an SE2.0 I'm sure he'd get me off the line, but I think I'd take him in the long run.

jlepore123, if you want an instant kick get some nitrous. I used to have a 98 EX. VTEC in the SOHC is very mild compared the DOHC. You can still feel it, but like toykilla said, it won't win the race for you.