::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2002, 04:06 PM   #1
spoogenet

Changing transmission oil....6th gen

Ok, bought me 2qt of Redline MTL. First off, I believe that is the right stuff, so if anybody has anything different to say, please say it now. They claim it's ok for cars that have 10W30 as a substitute. Of course Honda says to only use Honda MTL, but they also say 10W30 is an accpeptable near-term substitute until proper MTL can be added.....they yadda yadda yadda about not having the right additives, etc. So any probs with Redline?

Of course I probalby won't actually change the oil for a few more months, but I'd like to scour for info now.

So anyways, reading the Helm's manual it doesn't sound all that tough. Jack up car, remove bolt, drain, fill, replace bolt, lower car, rinse and repeat. Anyhow, anything I should be aware of before I begin? It says to replace the washer, is that really necessary or should I just clean it off and then put it right back on when done?

Woops, guess there's two bolts....one for draining, one for filling.

b
Old 08-11-2002, 04:11 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Re: Changing transmission oil....6th gen

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
Anyhow, anything I should be aware of before I begin?
b

yeah make sure you have a wrench strong enought that won't break when trying to open the drain plug. use craftsman

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 12:39 PM   #3
spoogenet

The Craftsman part is taken care of.

b
Old 08-12-2002, 03:48 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

good, now get to work

Old 08-12-2002, 05:23 PM   #5
spoogenet

So I take it you don't know of anything else I should be concerned with, such as reusing washers or using Redline MTL?

I'm gonna wait till I get my new place, end of Nov, and I better get a garage with the place....then I get a floor jack and some jack stands and change the stuff myself.

b
Old 03-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #6
davi

where does one fill the new fluid? I have a 92 Accord and things seem different then everyone else's under the car. I see one drain plug and nothing obvious enought to fill the new fluid into. Can some one offer any suggestions?
Old 03-30-2003, 12:55 AM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by davi
where does one fill the new fluid? I have a 92 Accord and things seem different then everyone else's under the car. I see one drain plug and nothing obvious enought to fill the new fluid into. Can some one offer any suggestions?

do u have an automagic or manual ? on my automagic i fill it thru the dipstick port

Old 03-30-2003, 08:58 AM   #8
davi

I own a 92 Accord EX with a 5-speed manual, 2.2L DOHC, and aproximately 160,000mi-I purchased it used with 95,000mi-and it sounds as strong as the day i bought it. The only thing ever to go wrong was the distributor which was replace new~132,000mi
Anyway about the fluid change issue, I may have some time. I found a bolt that is 11/16 located mid way of the bottom and top of the transmission that looked suspicious, when i crack it open, fluid seeps out that looks like a combination of honey and sprite. So my logic tells me, I may have attempted this early and have some time to find out where the fluid fill might be hiding. If the 11/16 bolt is the fill, then it's going to take a mighty funnel to reach through the jungle of metal and plastic and a medium tight spot. So i have time but would still like to find out for sure where to fill.
Thank you all for thinking about my problem.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:59 PM   #9
blind34_1

well, for manual trans heres what I know:
You have two plugs, one for draining and one for filling. The draining plug is obviosly close to the bottom of the trans, to allow the old oil to flow out. The fill plug is up higher. You only have to fill the trans with enough oil to it reaches the bottom of the fill plug hole. No more. The only way I can think to do this is to get some tubing and a funnel and to slowly fill from the engine bay.

now davi, if you cracked open your fill plug and had fluid running out, you'd do best to let that oil run out. You shouldn't have that much in there. (I know this because when I worked at Lubepro's, I cracked the fill plug on this BMW, and trans oil sprayed everywhere. My boss said I actually did him a favor.)
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 01:56 PM   #10
spoogenet

Yeah the transmission oil should only run up to the fill bolt, if the car is level then none should seep out when the bolt is removed but you should be able to stick your finger in the hole and feel it.

I have talked to one guy who changed the oil in his Prelude and he claims it does take a mighty long funnel.

b