::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2002, 09:30 AM   #1
Fatal070

what should i get first?

Hey everyone i just got my car 2 weeks ago and im not sure what to get i could use some advice on a good intake i was thinking AEM , for my Exaust i thought about a Greddy if i get either which should i get i have a 99 civic EX five speed thanx for the help later
Fatal070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 12:24 PM   #2
AzCivic

Go for the AEM intake first you'll be pleasantly surprised in the performance boost, at least i was.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 12:43 PM   #3
Mushroom

Depends on how you like to drive, but I think wider rims & sport tires are the best first mod for a civic. Get rid of those thin steelies and soft, comfortable factory rubber.

Grippiness and improved handling made more of a difference for driveability than the power gain of the intake, IMHO.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:46 PM   #4
AzCivic

thats a good point. but when i started out i was like damn i'm slow what can make me fast and is relatively cheap. But after awhile straight line diving got boring and now i'm like damn i wonder how fast i can take that turn.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 01:30 PM   #5
HondaTypeJ

I bought everything i needed and put it in the garage until I was ready to have it all put on, etc. The Body kit was first, then Tenzo AV7 white rims, AEM CAI, and a few other odds and ends. Have the exhaust, but have not put it on yet.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:10 AM   #6
CombatKit47

i would suggest for ehaust a twin canister system (TCS) exhaust http://www.dcsports.com/TCS.html check it out there
Old 04-03-2002, 02:10 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I'd get an intake or do the suspension first, depending on what you want out of your car. It all needs to be done eventually

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 01:01 AM   #8
ZeroAccess

Depends on what you wanna do but for a streetable civic

just get some springs/shocks (or coil-overs)
rims
camber kit

then get an intake/exhaust
then decide which route u wanna go
Old 04-10-2002, 10:28 PM   #9
PabloHoney

Good suggestions from most of you I think. Performance mods that are relatively cheap:

AEM Cold Air Intake
Exhaust (not CHEAP if you get a good one)
Header (same as exhaust)

If you want to lower your car, do it right the first time, and get coil-overs and a matching shock set ( www.ground-control.com ). KYB, Koni and Billstein make good shocks (although I am partial to KYB AGX's) Springs are ok, but they aren't adjustable for one. And don't go ricer-boy and slam your Civic. For one thing, if you drop it to far, you CAN'T adjust the front camber without control arm modification (the upper control arm will hit the fender well inside). As far as wheels and tires go. Unless you start making a good amount of horsepower, stick with 16's instead of 17's or bigger, and some good tires (Kumho, Yoko, etc...). Also, check what weight the wheels are. You don't want some heavy chrome POS that will just make your car slower.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:11 AM   #10
ZeroAccess

I 2nd the ground control coil-overs they can make custom spring rates for you or you just can get the springs they design for your car (recomend in your case) get those coil-overs with some KYB AGX shocks and it'd be tight

thats the setup I'm getting

if your turning isn't tight enough new rims + strut and sway bars will tighten it up
Old 04-13-2002, 09:43 AM   #11
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

it really does depend on what you liek or want to do first...Intake AEM CAI,Header,Exhaust...Wheels tires and lowering,coilovers/springs strut bars to stiffen the ride etc...

SO you have a alot of chices depending on what you want to get from your car first..Speed or performance..
Old 04-13-2002, 12:17 PM   #12
PabloHoney

I would say before you spend money on strut bars, spend it on sway bars as you will see more improvement in cornering ability with sway bars. Strut bars are nice and all, but sway bars will help much more.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:00 PM   #13
HondaDon25

COULD SOMEONE EXPLAIN THE SUSPENSION ASPECT TO ME: SHOCKS, COIL-OVERS, SPRINGS, STRUT BARS, SWAY BARS. . . . I AM HAVING TROUBLE TRYING TO FIND OUT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL THESE.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:11 PM   #14
PabloHoney

Coil-overs: adjustable springs so you can change ride height, and still have the same spring rate

shocks: dampers that make the suspension travel firmer/softer if adjustable, if not, then they just dampen the bumps (bound and rebound)

strut bars: give rigidity between the strut/shock towers so when turning, your strut/shock towers don't move. They help initial turn in bite.

sway bars: help keep your car from leaning in a turn. They also keep your outside tire planted on the ground a little better
Old 04-24-2002, 10:38 AM   #15
Fatal070

how much does shocks coast?
Old 04-24-2002, 12:37 PM   #16
b16aHatcH

AEM intake = waste of money, dont buy that yet omg...... kids buy some 200 dollar AEM intake that pulls alot more air into a stock engine and expect some kind of signifigant gain in hp or quarter mile time, buy EXHAUST first, save 250 more , add that to your 200 dollars you would waste on intake and get quality sound that'll get your car noticed along with a slight gain in performance, packing more air into your air/fuel mixture without any other kind of mod wont do anythign but make your car feel more responsive with a loud intake sound. Im not saying AEM intake isnt worth it im just saying that your first mod shouldnt be intake, id go with exhaust, then headers/intake , upgrade your fuel delivery next and you'll pull some more horses out of your stock engine. thats just my opinion. p e a c e
Old 04-24-2002, 02:40 PM   #17
BLu3xCiViC

i say screw the intake......the exhaust would be nice if you wanna get smoke by a *** in a domestic or you are not planning to race....i say go all out and get a b-series for not much more money than a silly intake and header combined....in my last civic i went with an ingen intake, aftermarket header and cam...all added up to more than $500 msrp not worth it....you could find an ls motor for as less as $300....complete installation for no more than $1200....add up all the little bolt-ons the money could be saved for a kick ass motor.........just my opinion
Old 04-25-2002, 01:11 AM   #18
PabloHoney

Price depends on what kind of shock you want to get. KYB AGX's shouldn't go for more than $100/shock. If you were to go with Koni on the other hand, they are gonna run closer to $150/shock (these prices are a little high, but I figure posting higher is better than lower). Do some research, and see what is best for the set up you want.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:07 PM   #19
civic_north

I agree with the sway bar, it's like driving a different car. It all matters what type of driving(ie racing)......so like to take turns and others like straight aways. If you a straight awayer the go for Horse, then control
Old 04-26-2002, 08:27 PM   #20
Quist

Getting an exhaust without any other mods will do diddly shiznit. True your not going to get alot from intake but to clarify---no more extra air pulled into motor then there is no need to let it exscape faster.

I would look into a turbo or new motor then work from there, from my expereince it is costly to make a fast EX motor
Old 04-26-2002, 09:28 PM   #21
4jacks

Intake and Exhaust are both GREAT starter mods,

but Exhaust has the advantage in that it looks schweeet as well.

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote