.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2006, 04:27 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

DVD burner speeds

Ok...so I bought a USB DVD burner not too long ago (a Sony) since my in-tower burner is a little long in the tooth. It's advertised write speed is 16X for regular DVD-5 discs, but I'll be damned if I can't get more than 4.1X (max) out of the thing...same as my old burner which has a max write speed of 4X. I can't figure this out. Is there a hardware limitation here or something I can change in the comp to make it catch up. Even when I manually set the write speed higher than 4X it's like it hits a brick wall. Hell...even my mom's computer burns faster than this thing.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
sicones

even my NEC 16x dvd burner will never burn faster then 2.4x, at least that what it always says its burning at, maybe theres an update you need??
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Could be. I just updated the firmware (from KY01 to KY06) so we'll see if that helps. If your drive has been available for more than 6 months or so, maybe you should check for a firmware upgrade.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 02-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Update!

The firmware upgrade didn't do shit. How piss poor is that?

Old 02-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Robert
R-Tard

Are you useing fast enough media?

Which program are you burning with?

Spec for yoru computer?
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

As far as I know the media is up to par. I buy in bulk so it's been forever and a day since I bought it.

I've run it with DVD Decrypter, Nero Burning ROM, and Copy2DVD. All produced the same results. They speed right up to 4X and then it's like hitting a brick wall.

Comp specs are 2.3GHz Pentium 4 w/ 512MB of RAM running Windows XP Home w/ SP2.

You may be right about the media. If I have no clue what speed it's set for, I probably bought it for my 4X burner thinking that getting faster media wouldn't matter anyway. That would suck since I have around 40 blank discs left.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
Robert
R-Tard

should be on the media if you look on the inner ring of the dvd
Old 02-14-2006, 03:57 AM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Ok...it took a lot of eye strain and (literally) a magnifying glass, but it is, indeed, 4X media. Good thinkin' Rob. Guess I'll just have to wait until this is all gone before I can realize the full capability of my new burner.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Robert
R-Tard

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Good thinkin' Rob