::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2002, 01:40 AM   #1
Dr Drew

Piston deburring tech info

Boost is nothing but compressed air that is forced into the engine. Boost can increase engine HP. Although, there are several drawbacks from boost. Anytime a gas is compressed heat is a by product. This also works in reverse. When a gas is decompressed it reduces temperature. Such as Nitrous oxide. When it is decompressed to bar it is approximately -130 degrees.

Obviously compressed air has a considerably higher oxygen content than non compressed air. That extra oxygen allows for increased fuel to be added to the combustion chamber resulting in higher peak cylinder pressure on the power stroke. When tuned properly higher cylinder pressure directly relates to more HP. There are two different types of compression. Static compression and effective compression. Static compression is the division of the cylinder stroke volume by the combustion chamber volume. Effective compression is measured by taking bar ([14.7lbs/square inch]which is absolute atmospheric pressure)and dividing it by the how many pounds of boost the engine is under. Lets use 10lbs in our figure. 10 / 14.7 = 0.68 Add one; 0.68 + 1 = 1.68 Then multiply by the static compression. 1.68 X 10 = 16.80. As you can see the engine's compression ratio is 68% higher than it's static at 10 lbs of boost. This is a very important fact to realize.

During the compression stroke of our engine the air and fuel mixture is compressed to 10 times it's size. Remember we learn earlier that when a gas is compressed heat is a by product. This is where the fuel's octane comes into play. Octane is a rating of how much the fuel can be compressed before it ignites itself via the heat from compression and combustion chamber temps. A fuel that is suited for a 10:1 static compression engine may not be suited for an engine that has a higher effective compression ratio. The more the mixture is compressed the more heat that is generated and in turn the higher octane fuel that is required. High cylinder temperatures have an effect on the compressed gases temperature. Cooler cylinder temps enable more compression or more boost to be had for a given octane fuel.

There are several different ways to keep cylinder temperatures lower. One is to remove all carbon deposits that are built up on the pistons and combustion chamber. Second is to remove all sharp edges in the combustion chamber and on piston tops. Third is to create a thermal heat barrier in the combustion chamber to prevent the cylinder from heating up. This can be done by ceramic coating all combustion chamber surfaces and piston tops. Sharp edges and deposits are the first to heat up. These can become so hot that they can ignite the air and fuel mixture upon introduction to the cylinder. Or they can increase gas temps during compression to beyond the fuels ignition point, then detonation or preignition occurs. Here is a picture of a JE piston the way they came from JE.

The deburring of the pistons can be done at home with some supplies from or your local hardware store. You want to pick up some 200 grit sand paper. The cloth stuff is the best to use because it is a lot more durable then the paper. Basically your goal is to smooth all the sharp edges and burrs from the piston. You want to try and not remove much material just to smooth over the edges without leaving any grooves. Then, after the rough edges are gone you want to take a piece of scotch bright and make the final finish. Smooth over all the surfaces on the pistons to ensure an even finish. Here is a picture of a deburred JE piston.

There are several different companies that coat pistons. There are also kits they sell to apply your own ceramic coating. You should try to steer clear of these for the reason of the coating not being durable. It is fairly inexpensive to have them coated. Here is a list of pricing. www.swaintech.com/price.html Here is a picture of the same piston after coating. This piston received the Gold coat dome finish and the PC-9 low friction coating on the skirts.

BTW...These are 10.3:1 compression 84mm Pistons for my current B18C1 setup. Or 10.1:1 if I decide to swap a B16 head.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:44 AM   #2
AzCivic

Did you copy this from somewhere else or did you really just write this.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 01:47 AM   #3
Dr Drew

I wrote it a few months ago.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:55 AM   #4
AzCivic

Oh, well it looks like a good article, this site needs more like it. I'd like to write up something like that but I'm lazy. Man have you read some write ups by this guy who's name thing is Tuan on Hondalife i think? I was reading this one thing and it went into so much detail my head started to hurt while reading it. But those are the best articles.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 04:38 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

Dr Drew, submit this to Chief. he'll have it posted on the homepage.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:00 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

one question Dr. Drew: how thick the coating is ? would it affect the compression ratio ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 07:40 AM   #7
Dr Drew

Yes, very very little but it will up your compression. The gold coat, which is what you see in the picture is 0.003" thick. Like I said, doesn't add much compression.