Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2003, 01:14 PM   #41
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
The Civic chassi is not designed to handle an H22 - plain and simple. The motor sits awkwardly in the car/not to mention it's power numbers require you to greatly beef up ur suspension in order to be able to drive properly.

BTW, if you put an H22 in ur car, consider it a car that will only run "the straight and narrow" cause the added weight on your front end will make you corner like crap.

how does it "sit awkwardly"???

The power has NOTHING to do with suspension upgrades... it's the weight... which is not much more than a gsr... or b16...

It'll be more front heavy making for minorly worse handling then a b or d series civic but nothing that can't be worked around with a tunable suspension.

you would only realy need stiffer front springs and maybe a beefier set of sway bars...

The reason the civic chassis isn't "designed to handle an H22" is because they (h22's) have a front crossmember mount which goes un-used since our chassis' don't have a mount point...

The aftermarket mounts seem to be working out fine...

The rumour that h22's don't belong in civic's started a LONG time ago when the swap craze started... ONE shop tried it and said it was too squirelly and unsafe since you have hammer dents into the frame...

With the new mount kits there's little to no problem...

Having said all this... I wouldn't recomend the swap for ANYONE but someone who know's enough about it or someone with enough money to pay someone who know's how to do it.

You have to cut the tranny mount ear on the frame (preventing you from being able to swithcing back to a b or d series motor)

you also need to cut a hole in the pass. compartment for the cables for the cable shift tranny to come into the pass. compt. and attach to the shifter assembly... I believe you also have to cut the shifter hole a little wider (or maybe drill holes to mount the h22 shifter ass.).

Over all it's a lot of work. and not for the faint of heart.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:56 PM   #42
cashizslick

Well, i guess you just agreed with me - H22 swap's are a bad idea because of the ammount of stress that motor will put on your front end. Look at the Difference between the front end on ChrisCantSkate's car and the front end on mine - see how the nose of his car is longer? It is able to properly seat the H22 which was designed to be in his car, if that were in my car, my weight transfer would be thrown all off and that motor would reak havik on my front end.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:40 PM   #43
slowEJ6

omg this thread is filled with nothing but BS.

an H22A in a civic is JUST FINE for daily driving. you CAN take corners with an H22A swap in your civic as long as you take the time to work on your SUSPENSION to handle it.....A&J Racing had a 96+ hatch with an h22a....they RACED it on a COURSE quite a few times.....no its not ideal but its not impossible.

GSR motor....there are 92 and 93's...B17's.
there are 94 and 95's...B18C1's...OBDI
there are 96-01's....B18C1....OBDII
there are usdm version, there are jdm versions.
difference in power, torque, compression, etc....

a B18C1 is not really SUPERIOR to a B16A at all....it just has more displacement/power.

If you really want to do something that'll make you faster than a B16A, B18C1, B18C5, H22A....do a K20A swap.
20lbs lighter than a B series - power of an H22A.....6spd, you cant go wrong.

of course its expensive(very) and well, as everyone else said....you need to do more research before diving into something like this. Especially a K20A swap because it is a wiring NIGHTMARE.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 01:49 AM   #44
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
Well, i guess you just agreed with me - H22 swap's are a bad idea because of the ammount of stress that motor will put on your front end. Look at the Difference between the front end on ChrisCantSkate's car and the front end on mine - see how the nose of his car is longer? It is able to properly seat the H22 which was designed to be in his car, if that were in my car, my weight transfer would be thrown all off and that motor would reak havik on my front end.

No I did not agree with you...

I don't know what you mean "reak havoc on the front end"...

It won't... it will reak havoc on tires... and axels... but it won't actively DO anything to your front end...

As stated by slowej6... it's more than possible and FINE in most cases... most find that simply buying integra rate front springs instead of civic springs is MORE than enough to compensate for the weight...

The only problems I point out are it's a hassle... it's not a drop in deal like a bseries... and it leaves you stuck with an h22 forever... (I'm sure you could weld on a new tranny mount ear.

There are LOTS of front heavy cars that handle fine... it's all a matter of tuning your suspension for it...

If you have coil overs and just make the rear sit MINUTELY lower than the front it will probobly return the weight distibution to at least that of a b-swapped civic... put your battery in the trunk... get a cf hood and it's same as stock...

the weight is not that much different then a B... maybe 75 lbs..

As far as k20...

Do they even make a mount kit for that into a 92-95 civic... I thought that that was for 2001+ only w/o custom install?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:01 AM   #45
slowEJ6

no commercial mount kits yet but....you could always get someone thats already done it to fabricate some for a pretty penny.

with the h22a though....be sure to not go too low because the header WILL scrape.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 11:51 AM   #46
sc0rch

LS/VTEC for sure...thats what i'm going with...the guy i'm working for found a head with everything for $200 and a block with everything but the head for $600 plus they are going through the head and doing everything for another $500
Old 09-19-2003, 11:39 AM   #47
jaberg00

go LS Turbo Its better, less work thatn tO Vtec it and will give the GSR Problems, i got a LS in mY 93 ex and im beating on V6 accords And already race twoo GSR and beat them but it depends on how you tune ya engine 96 LS MOtor Pr3 Ecu you wont be disappoitned