Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2003, 09:24 PM   #1
hooohaa2

need help with my turbo retrofit

alright, after thinking about it long enough, I have finally decided to start a turbo project. I am definitely not a turbo guru at this point, but bit by bit I am learning from these forums and other websites. I am very mechanically inclined, so I figure why not dive in head first.

Yesterday I went to the junkyard and pulled a Garrett *edit: its a Garrett t-3* turbo off of a 90 something Saab (it is in great shape). I also pulled a *edit: an IHI* turbo and intercooler off a mid 90's Ford Probe. The Probe turbo has a broken turbine shaft and some bent blades on the intake side. It is not in the best shape. I am guessing the car was junked because of the engine problems contributing/related to the broken turbo.

Both of my turbos have built in wastegates, which I believe are controlled by vacuum. Can I hook up my engine's vacuum lines directly to the wastegate and have it work properly? The manifold flanges have different sizing/bolt pattern.

The Saab turbo looks clean, the turbine spins smoothly, no play.

I need some advice on what to do next. Can I use the Saab turbo, and if not, should I get the Probe rebuilt?

Where do I go to find a manifold that will fit?

Also, I need some help understanding the whole computer side of turbo management. what do I need to find to control boost and A/F? Please explain how these components work.

*edit: I found homemadeturbo.com, what a great site! are there other sites like this online?*