::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2002, 02:34 PM   #1
zm_dawg

Crutchfield vs. Best Buy vs. Local Dealer

I was just wondering how to go about buying my new system. I recently looked around at Best Buy and wrote down all the speaker size prices with components going for about $70 and 6 x 9's and 90 to a Rockford 12" sub going for $80. Now when you come home and do further research and take a look at Crutch, I find that the lowest components and 6 x 9's for Kenwood are up into $150 - $200. Now Crutchfield is somewhat respectable and I know that some companies sell products to Best Buy and only for them with specific model numbers only used at Best Buy. I'm looking for pretty much a Kenwood setup all the way through, but is best buy selling old shit or whats the deal. Am I better off going through local dealer. I mean i guess i can get the speakers at best buy, but what really am i getting older models or just less performance?
Old 10-28-2002, 02:49 PM   #2
a96710

I think you're better off goin through a local dealer. When I worked at Good Guys (higher end retail chain) I compared our prices to Crutchfield all the time and we were always lower priced
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 03:48 PM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Crutchfield is horribly overpriced...

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:23 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yup crutchfield is overpriced. i got my head unit over ebay few months back
try www.hookedontronics.com

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 09:28 PM   #5
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Crutchfield is a good way to get robbed. If you're going to do mail order, do internet instead. Try the thread labeled "Car Audio Sites" stickied in this forums- it's very easy to find excellent deals.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 10:04 PM   #6
zm_dawg

I guess I'm more interested in why Best Buy and Circuity City places are so cheap on their stuff compared to Crutch or local dealers...Is it old lines of product or whats the deal.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:21 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by zm_dawg
I guess I'm more interested in why Best Buy and Circuity City places are so cheap on their stuff compared to Crutch or local dealers...Is it old lines of product or whats the deal.

Just check model #'s to see what they're selling. Like any large retailer, they get good deals from buying in bulk.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 01:26 PM   #8
ShagginJet

You need to visit the manufactures site to see what the newest line is. also if you check the press or new links on the manufactures site you can see whn they last released what and then you can tell if a new release is coming up soon. Just because something is last years model doesn't mean that it's a piece of junk. Do your research, visit some car audio forums, see what people have been saying and have experienced with that product. you can save some moeny if you're buy an older model, yet mose offer the features of the newer models too... don't get stuck up with 45wx4 channels, no head unit produces true 45 watts. Look at the size of a 45watt amp and compare it to a cd deck, no way they have a 45w amp in there....

personal note: I've experienced good times with both Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate.... Good head units from both, I like the Pioneer component speakers, and rockford for the amps and Subs.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 09:50 PM   #9
GSteg

crutchfield's price may be at retailed, but hey..they're suppose to be anyways.. i doubt that best buy will have the same customer support like crutchfield. those catalogs i get from crutch..it just another magazine for me to read when i'm in the rest room