.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2002, 06:51 PM   #1
mt.biker

Documents reveal Carnivore failures (repost from SJ)

A privacy watchdog group on Tuesday made public internal FBI documents that discuss failures of the agency's Carnivore online surveillance technology.
The documents, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), detail at least one incident in which Carnivore inadvertently captured e-mail from people who were not under investigation, in apparent violation of federal wiretap laws.

The FBI did not immediately return calls for comment.

Carnivore, the FBI's Internet monitoring system that came into the public spotlight in July 2000, is used to monitor Internet traffic and communications through Internet service providers, once the technology's been installed on the ISP's system. Though much of how Carnivore works has remained a mystery as well as a perceived threat to consumer privacy, the FBI has said that the technology filters data to obtain only lawfully authorized information on suspects.

full story @ http://news.com.com/2100-1023-927252.html?tag=fd_top
Old 06-05-2002, 06:55 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Ugh, I hate the fact that every move we make is being watched, even if we do nothing wrong. As soon as you hop on the internet, you lose all anonymity.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 07:03 PM   #3
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Ugh, I hate the fact that every move we make is being watched, even if we do nothing wrong. As soon as you hop on the internet, you lose all anonymity.

well for the most part there isn't to much info floating around on me but if your 20+ and own a house or apt you can be found @ www.411.com (for the USA) or www.411.ca (for us canadians)

i use this alot for work to check up on peoples cerdit card info they provide.. you can find alot of shit about a person online, so do be careful
Old 06-05-2002, 07:56 PM   #4
juvenile

they're out there, and they're watching you

*turns on tap, dishwasher, and music, and whispers* they can hear us now
Old 06-06-2002, 02:09 PM   #5
Kyle
elyK

lol

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 04:48 PM   #6
blind34_1

I wouldnt be as worried about carnivore as I am about Echelon. Echelon, from my sources (ie 2600), is basically big brother watching for key words and phrases in email.

also, not all anonymity is lost! http://www.anonymizer.com and similar sites provide decent proxy services, and there are plenty of remailers out there. I'd say for decent anon, go to a public library (sign up for a phony lib card if possible - easy to do in theory), use an anonymizer (or a few of them) and use remailers along with PGP. Thats about as good as it gets, unless you're some sort of h4rdc()re 1337 |-|4Xo|2 !!!
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 05:20 PM   #7
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by blind34_1
I wouldnt be as worried about carnivore as I am about Echelon. Echelon, from my sources (ie 2600), is basically big brother watching for key words and phrases in email.

also, not all anonymity is lost! http://www.anonymizer.com and similar sites provide decent proxy services, and there are plenty of remailers out there. I'd say for decent anon, go to a public library (sign up for a phony lib card if possible - easy to do in theory), use an anonymizer (or a few of them) and use remailers along with PGP. Thats about as good as it gets, unless you're some sort of h4rdc()re 1337 |-|4Xo|2 !!!

thats alot of work to say "hey there!"

and i dont even know what "h4rdc()re 1337 |-|4Xo|2" is!
Old 06-07-2002, 09:27 PM   #8
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

"hardcore leet haxor" loosly translated "hardcore elite hacker"

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 09:32 PM   #9
mt.biker

ok enough computer talk for me for a month!
Old 06-10-2002, 05:29 PM   #10
blind34_1

Just in case the sarcasm was lost there, that whole leet haxor thing was a joke....

True that is a lot of work to say hey there, but if your wanting to stay anonymous to say hey there than you've got problems. Anonymous stuff is used so only the person you want to talk to to can see what you're sending. I quick "hey how ya doin?" doesnt call for an anonymizer and remailers...
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote