::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2002, 12:47 AM   #1
iamsparticuz

h22a swap

Ive got a 99 accord and im interested in swapping to the h22a from jdm1. I recently read this 3 threads and now im questioning whether i should swap.. ive talked to numerous people who have swapped to this same engine but they never mentioned anything of this sort. Can some1 plz tell me if this information is true and if it somehow relates to what i plan on doing.

http://www.hondahookup.com/phpBB/vie...043&forum=1&13

http://www.hondahookup.com/phpBB/vie...1283&forum=1&8

http://www.hondahookup.com/phpBB/vie...1481&forum=1&5

Is this only for h22a's after being turbocharged? or is this a different type of h22?
Im confused
Old 04-06-2002, 08:45 AM   #2
MacRulzMan

I can't access the websites. What is the general idea of what they said?
Old 04-06-2002, 11:30 AM   #3
iamsparticuz

yeah my friend had the same problem. He said its becuase his dns isnt updated. Ill just copy and paste the posts then

-----------------------------------------
Just an informative post.

If you are thinking about getting a h22a turbo set up in your 4door or 2door accord, think again before you just go out and buy a turbo kit. There are many things you have to take into account.

1. Your hood will not close, unless the hood is modded, or you have a turbo hood.

2. Downpipe from Drag gen 3 Kit will not fit your car with air conditioner, if you want A/C that is. It also would have to be beat in a little bit to fit under the engine.

3. Your front bumper (not cover) will have to be modded, along with your horns.

4. If you are thinking about doing that all popular AUTO to 5SPD conversion into an Accord with no 5Spd components on the car at all. Master Cylindar, Pedals, Lines, etc. Please empty your wallet to the evil honda man for $700 for everything you need and call me in the morning.

5. Thought your stock Axels or mounts would work with your car? THINK AGAIN - Your going to need upper mounts right and left for your h22a and a new transmission mount and bracket.

6. The Drag Gen 3 Turbo Kit does not come with an Intake Filter or pipe for the h22a into an accord because they claim there is no room. Buy a HKS Power Flow Air Filter or just mod your air filter off your previous cold air intake and you should have no problem.

Conclusion: Unless you are the guy with the skyline, prelude and s2k turbo you shouldn't attempt this swap unless you have a lot of money put aside for shit that breaks in the process.

From personal experience, my rear spindels broke and the honda dealer had them in stock (hmmm) $260. A strut broke on the right side, so I just bought all brand new AGX KYB Gas Powered Struts ($349). If you wanna talk price - figure 11k, without the cost of the car. But, in the end you'll have a ****in fast car.

2nd Conclusion: Drag turbo kits - the people that constructed these kits should be taken into a cornfield and cut up into tiny pieces.
Happy Racing
Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted all that information about the h22a turbo swap. Well, we have a few more things to take into account that I just found out today.

1. When buying a motor from anywhere online, please know in advance that IT IS NOT complete. No where close, no where near, don't even think it. When a motor leaves enters the companys shop - a lot of the wires are cut. As were my LSD Wires, and a few other wires (not as important). I was also missing 3 - 4 Tubes (very important i may add) as in Power Steering to name 1.

2. If you are turbo'n an Accord, please for god sakes buy a new radiator. The one that you have now isn't worth shit, they make Radiators for just the left side (if looking into the engine bay) so that the Turbo won't melt it to shit, they are aluminum.

3. To add to the buying motors, when examining my axels after they were put on the car, the threads on the driver side axel are so shot to shit. Thinking about saying "Use your Accord Axels?" Hmm..think again, The shaft isn't long enough (hey who hasn't heard that )

4. The oxygen sensor is one of the more important things on the entire car. I learned that today, after I almost sold my Type S Header/Downpipe, but while I was packaging it up (its currently on ebay) I realized the o2 was in there, and the guy called me not even 10 minutes later and was like "hey, do you have the old o2, because there will be a SLIGHT problem if you don't" Well, more than slight he was being just a tad bit sarcastic.

Well, just sharing my knowledge.

Later,
Mike
------------------------------------------------------------------
In the closing stages of the car, I have learned a lot, and have a lot to learn. But, things are coming together and it's almost all done. A few other things to think about when doing your car h22a - turbo in a 94-97 Accord.

1. You are probably going to have a hard time with the stock bumper/cover, you should replace it with an aftermarket one. Preferably one with a big open space at the bottom, for your intercooler. I kept mine stock for the sleeper look, but it was tight. Really tight.

2. Your wiring harness is on opposite sides of the engine, and is a pain in the arse. You should definately have a trained professional do this and I witnessed today what the guy who responded to my last thread was talking about.

3. Not to contradict anyone on the board, but you should definately use the Prelude Axels in the front. The Accord Axels would snap in 2, or so I have been to believe. If you want to get the swap done right, you should just have a shop do it, and not take advice from people online - but I am just telling you guys what I have found out.

4. Your A/C Unit in the car will work, with slight modifications - but due to a lot of heat from the turbo, you may have a small problem with the A/C. I do not know yet, and I will update people as I find out, but if I had to do it again, I would have taken the A/C out and recommend it to anyone.

5. To update on that Radiator situation, the guy yesterday was right. They do not make a radiator like they do for the 92-95 Civics, but I have had one custom made, and should have it shortly.

6. I cannot stress this enough, CHANGE YOUR CLUTCH! ACT, drag any of those companies that make clutches, get one. Do not get the stage 3 unless you are thinking about not driving a lot on the street, because it is harsh. Even though it says Turbo Clutch, the stage 2 should do just fine.

Thats all for now. The car should be arriving at my house in about 6 hours. So,I will be posting pictures as soon as I figure out my scanner

Mike
I can be reached at TJCCARDCO@aol.com
Old 04-07-2002, 11:31 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i know that the H22 drops perfectly in 4th and 5th generations, but i have no idea for the 6th. i know the engine has a different layout for the 6th gen, like the tb is to the left, not to the right like 4and 5 gens. Also i heard that the 6th I4 accord tranny can't hande more than 255 hp ( my 4th gen tranny can't handle the mad 125 hp). and when it comes to turbo i'm clueless. do u want to turbo your accord ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 04:16 PM   #5
iamsparticuz

yeah i plan on doing it. I was wanting to swap what i got in there now for the the h22 and then tc'ing. I also havnt heard of anyone with a 99 whose done the swap either.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:20 PM   #6
iamsparticuz

Has anyone heard anything bad about jdm1.com? Ive been talking to the owner of jdmclub and he said they are unrealible(of course he would). He said his friend orderd a 97 from there and he got a 92 one ragged out. So has anyone ordered from any of these and how was the transactions?
Also how much does it usually cost to swap?
Old 04-07-2002, 08:58 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well i don't know what to say. from what i heard that the online shops are overpriced and you might get a cheaper engine going to a honda dealer or a local performance shop.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 04:59 PM   #8
Leisyman

Dishonest Engine Seller

Do NOT buy anything from JDM1. These people are unscrupulous and do not follow up on their promises! It has been 9 months since I ordered a B18C swap from Shaan and I still have not received all the parts supposedly included with the swap. In addition, I ordered an OBD1 swap and received an OBDII. Then they expected me to pay to ship all the incorrect stuff back before they would ship replacements. I am seeking legal action against JDM1. They cost me an additional $2000 in parts for the defective or missing parts.
In addition, I have never received proof that the engine is legal. I suspect that it is not and have submitted my info to federal authorities, as the engine was shipped across international boundaries

A word to the wise, don't waste your money and time.
Let the BUYER BEWARE!
Old 04-10-2002, 05:11 PM   #9
Jakethesnake

Yeah i'm also planning on swapping a h22a into my gen 5 accord....i know a company in canada and i'm going to drive there to see what they will do to my car...i'm paying around 2 grand for the complete swap and about 700cnd for install....so to give advice...find a place near you and talk to the people so you know what your getting before buynig...becuase if i find out they it's just the engine...i'm not going through with it, i just got have the income to just spend 4grand on a swap.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:14 PM   #10
Leisyman

Dishonest Engine Seller

jdm1 IS in Canada, Montreal area. I have Shaan's address if you would like it. If I weren't so far away, I'd visit him myself.....Probably end up in the Montreal jail for assault, tho
Old 04-10-2002, 05:18 PM   #11
Jakethesnake

lol.....yeah the company that i'm going through itsn't jdm1..it's another company in the montreal region...welll i hope their not jdm1
Old 04-10-2002, 06:12 PM   #12
iamsparticuz

heh. I got a quote from a guy down in florida(im in indiana), who runs jdmclub and he said that he would sell me a h22a with less than 30k miles for 2400, he said he would install it for another thousand but he is going to charge me another thousand for the tranny swap of my automatic to the 5spd. Thats 4400, u think thats a good deal?

ive got an f23 w/135 hp right now
Old 04-10-2002, 06:58 PM   #13
Jakethesnake

Deff no a good deal....the swap i'm getting comes with manual tranny, esu everything for a complete swap over. I'm playing 2500 american MAX
Old 04-10-2002, 07:47 PM   #14
iamsparticuz

i thought engine was 2400 retail anywayz? and im getting it from jdmclub. The grand for engine swap i was also told is normal..