::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2002, 08:46 PM   #1
TruHeel142

Teg turbo prep???

I don't kno a WHOLE lot about turbo's yet but I'm in the process of learning, but still I thought I'd ask u turbo guys, what I'll be needing or not needing as I prepare to throw a turbo in my 97 Integra rs. It has 43,000 miles on it, and is ready for boost. I've got my aem cai in it and apexi ws exhaust going on in a week or two, but I'd really like to kno what else I'll be needing to prepare for the turbo. And, yeah, I know not to buy a header, DUH!!! Pls help!!!
Old 02-13-2002, 09:53 PM   #2
turbod97ex

You should do a compression test on your engine, it is likely to be ok but just in case, you don't want to fi an engine that has problems. The CAI will probably not fit once you go turbo but it might. The exhaust you are getting, have you already paid for it? If not, consider going with a Thermal 3" exhaust if you are serious about turbo. Learn as much as you can about the turbo you want, find out how to install it yourself and then do it yourself if you can.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:38 PM   #3
Boosted3g

well said. Get the compression test done, Get a respectable kit (DRAG Revhard SFP) and dont take shortcuts. If possible get a standalone of some sort in the car along with upgraded fuel components. You will be surprised what a stock block will take with proper tuning.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:51 PM   #4
TruHeel142

I hope my CAI fits, that'd suck if it didn't, but I'm going with a pretty big exhaust(either apexi dunk or greddy evo) so the exhaust should be fine. I'll get the compression check soon too, and i guess i'll just keep researchin it. I'll be taking some classes on engine work this year too, so that should help. As I go along, I'd appreciate any help along the way.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:41 PM   #5
Incubus

Damn! Only 43,000 miles on your Teg?! And it's a 97! I have a 99 and I got 48,000 miles on it, but I have to drive alot because my school and job aren't close by.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:19 AM   #6
Boosted3g

hahaha my 97 teg only has 16k on the clock and the motors been rebuilt twice.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:29 AM   #7
TruHeel142

Quote:
Originally posted by Incubus
Damn! Only 43,000 miles on your Teg?! And it's a 97! I have a 99 and I got 48,000 miles on it, but I have to drive alot because my school and job aren't close by.

Well, supposedly an older woman had the car before me, so its basically like brand new. Its hard to find a Teg that hasn't had the sh*t beaten out of it, i guess it wuz complete luck that i found one that wasn't.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:11 PM   #8
Incubus

So, with my LS engine, what kind of build ups should I be looking at to get the engine prepped for turbo?
I'm planning on getting the Greddy LS turbo kit when it is finally released, because I'm in California and they have strict smog standards.
I'll be more or less running it at the stock psi of around 8-10 psi.
I realize I should be looking at stronger pistons, rods, etc....but what do you people think I could get away with as far as stock internals with running a pretty conservative psi?

I've read a few posts about LS stock internals running on conservative boost without a problem.
Also, I do have a racing clutch, so that's not a problem, but I've heard from some people that lightened flywheels aren't good with turbos (I'm thinking they were wrong though) and I have also heard that light flywheel is good for turbo (helps it spool quicker, etc)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-08-2002, 07:12 AM   #9
Boosted3g

Hell if your only gonna run 10 psi just swap out the pistons. The ring lands are the only thing that may go at that boost level. Stock sleeves and rods are fine.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:12 PM   #10
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Your CAI will definitely not fit with a turbo. Sorry.

There isn't a problem running a flywheel with a turbo, just don't go too light unless it's a drag only car. On a supercharger, however, the stock flywheel is the best. The reason is that a lightened flywheel doesn't carry enough momentum to turn all the belt driven accessories. With a turbo, this isn't a problem. As for it spooling quicker, the flywheel has nothing to do with it- it's the size of the turbo's internals- cetrifugal mass, unsprung weight- it's a lot like wheel size in that it just takes more to get them running. The GReddy kit uses a TD05 turbo, which spools very quickly (Is it too late to talk you into a RevHard?).

I agree with boosted that you should definitely run some forged pistons. However, with the lower rod ratio of the B18B block, I'd also replace the rods, too- even with a moderate 8 psi. You could probably get away with the stock rods for a while, but wouldn't it suck to blow your low mileage engine while it's still low mileage?
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 03:07 PM   #11
turbod97ex

I would disagree that you need any internal mods to boost 10psi. Good tuning would do the trick in your situation. Spend the money on standalone engine management instead.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:22 PM   #12
Incubus

I'm not set on any turbo kit right now, my only requirement is that it is smog/CARB legal.
I knew the flywheel doesn't actually help the turbo itself spool quicker, but the fact that it'll rev quicker between shifts should help you keep the turbo spinning while your changing gears.

I'll probably go with the forged pistons before I get the turbo, that's kinda what I was thinking I was gonna have to do, I just want to get the turbo up and running ASAP because I've been piddling around with small hp mods and I've already spent a ton of money on my car and I want the hp and 1/4 time to reflect the money I've already spent. Granted at least half was on suspension, but I wasted a lot of money on installation prices.
Oh well.
By engine management, what do you mean? Like for example AEM's ECU piggyback? Or A'PEXi I think also has one, or even Greddy has one. I'm not sure if that's what your talking about or not. I've got the A'PEXi S-AFC already, but I don't know if that will fit the bill of properly tuning a turbo setup.
Any more input? <-----just wanted to put that in