::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
nonovurbizniz

Cars running funny.

Well... I changed the timing belt a couple months ago only to find out Honda had done it wrong the last time... and that's why my car has been a guttless wonder since I got it... It also explained why my car pinged like all hell unless I retarded the ignition ALL the way...

So I fixed it and set the ig. timing and my car RIPPED... my friend in his 70 impala used to ROMP on me... there was nothing I could do to give chase much less keep up... well I've beaten him once or twice now (his car is still faster in the 1/4 I'm sure).

WELL... the other night I hit a puddle and water splashes up onto my distributer (splash guard fell off in a snow storm... I've been too lazy to put it back on)... ANYWAY... it's happened a couple times where the dist. gets soaked and the car dies out...

Only this time the car runs like ASS now... there is NO WOT power at all... 1/4-3/4 throttle is OK.. not what it was but nothing too noticable... but if I floor it into vtec it falls on it's face... makes LOTS of noise but not to much action going on...

I'm thinking it's the TPS or MAP sensor and it just happened to happen around the same time as the dist...

But my problem is that the car has 185k+ so it really could be ANY of the sensors going bad...

any input is welcome
Old 04-17-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
AzCivic

can you get used parts that work from your work to replace each sensor to see what one or ones are bad?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Id start w/ the dist. since you know its had probs
then Id go w/ the map and move from there to other possibilities
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
nonovurbizniz

No unfortunately we don't have any civics... one accord... I'll check on monday to see if the map sensor tps etc are the same...

O2's were.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:33 PM   #5
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

i take it its not throwing a code ?
Old 04-23-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i woild check the distributor first and check the timing on it.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 06:32 PM   #7
Honda_Tengoku

sounds like the ICM. Change it and go from there.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:30 PM   #8
nonovurbizniz

I recently did the timing... I was going to check it again... but I'm sure that's not it...

It's probobly the ICM... but I'm not sure... I've got SOOO much crap to get done on the car it's really piling up at this point...

It just pisses me off because it was running soo sick before all this crap started up... and I never got a chance to have my wheels/tires on the car since it started running good again...

Anyway I'm hoping to get a good deal of work done to it tomorrow... if not I'm buckling down and doing work on it after work next week...
Old 04-26-2004, 03:43 AM   #9
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Tengoku
sounds like the ICM. Change it and go from there.

Yep! That would be my guess too. Honda ignitors suck! It's really one of the only flaws they have...

Here's a nice replacement

http://www.msdignition.com/sci_7.htm
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:15 PM   #10
nonovurbizniz

I have a msd external coil and mod cap... it seems to do fine...

And tons of racers both drag and road, use stock honda ignitors and coils with no problems at all...

I went through a bunch of more steps trying to figure out what was up...

Long story short my buddies brother (they run a shop (their fathers shop previously)) and he suggested the cat... I had thought of that before and felt/smelled the exhaust before but it seemed ok...

Then he reved it while my hand was behind it... there was ZERO flow...

I pulled out the cat and 10min with an airhammer later... problem solved...

Car runs SICK SICK SICK again... I'm actually almost satisfied with how much power it has... I'm probobly going to end up turboing it this summer though anyway...

Gunna order new tires tonight... got a new air filter... and I'm gunna be ordering a WHOLE bunch of odds and ends from honda to tighten up the car...

Finish up the bushings, paint the header (or maybe not depending on how close I am to turboing it), put the prelude front brakes on... and It should be running pretty sick...

I'm also gunna try to get to english town NJ sometime soon to get an idea of what it runs...

Also gotta figure out what I'm gunna do about the hollowed cat... I'm gunna get a cat but I don't wanna keep buying 100 dollar aftermarket ones if they're gunna go bad...

I know there were periods of improper fueling there and everything... but I got that thing less than a year ago... which is EXACTLY how long NUMEROUS people told me it would last...

So I may have to eat a bullet and buy a stock cat... I can get them for shop cost... but that's probobly not cheap anyway.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:40 PM   #11
sicones

Hey I have a high flow cat that I took off my drag crx it has the two holes and collector that bolts to the header and it can easily be welded to your current exhaust. Let me know if you want it.
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:05 PM   #12
AzCivic

i say get a test pipe
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:54 PM   #13
nonovurbizniz

I actually have a test pipe...

I wouldn't EVER put it on though... I'd get F'd in no time... I'm scared enough with the gutted cat on there... I mean they'd have to pull it to see it's gutted... but if you know, you can certainly smell and hear that it's gutted...

I'd prefer just to get a cat... I don't want to ride around polluting the crap out of the earth for no reason... especially when I'm driving an otherwise eco-friendly fossil fueled car.