::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
sicones

camshaft

Has anybody ever gotton an aftermarket camshaft for there sohc vtec engines is it worth it (btw im not changeing my engine I dont have the money or the balls to do that and I need my car for school) I got like 400 dollors and I'd like to get something for my car thanks
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 01:47 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

i hear good things from the skunk2 stange1 cams
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 05:58 PM   #3
nonovurbizniz

the zex/compcams cam is supposed to be the best for the money...

I had gude cams in my old 1.6 sentra.. .they kicked ass... but I haven't heard of anyone running them in a civic as they are re-grinds and more expensive then the brand new zex cam...
Old 10-06-2003, 09:21 AM   #4
sicones

Yea I was thinking about getting the zex/comp cam do you know which one I am better off with, the street or street/strip cam because if there isent a big difference I'll get the bigger one, also should I invest in the upgraded valve springs and retainers??

heres the stats of the two:

Honda SOHC VTEC D16Y8
#105100 = Street performance cam. Works well with intake, header, and exhaust upgrades. Excellent torque and mid range power.
#105300 = Street/Strip performance cam. Large increases in power from off idle to rev limiter. Maximizes HP increases from intake,
header, and exhaust upgrades. Excellent high RPM power.

Old 10-31-2003, 12:04 AM   #5
shmaptoe

ive seen dynos of the skunk st1 on a d16y8 with bolt ons gain 6-8 hp.skunk claims the cam at 8-10, and more is probably to be had if u have more mods done. if u get the zex cam- dont waste your money on the street one!!! its barely more aggresive than stock. the street stip is what u want. it makes like around 8 or 10 hp i think and idles like stock- it should run u about 250 bucks or so- take the rest of your money and get a cam gear and advance your timing a few degrees to bring your powerband back into stock revlimits and u are well on your way
Old 10-31-2003, 08:03 AM   #6
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

so...

if i put camS in my car, and nitrous, then what would i do with timing/revs ? what kinda differences in drivability would there be. And Ive kinda been interesed in teh Zex cams from what ive heard if they got htem for B's.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:25 AM   #7
shmaptoe

for b series try skunk2 st 1. they offer a nice mix of power and street driveability. upgrade to skunk springs or integra type r ones. u can also just put a itr intake cam in, cause the exhaust cam on all the b series vtecs should be the same profile. as far as timing- when running nitrous retard cam timing and retard ignition timing a little(maybe 16-18degrees btdc). this is to avoid detonation- wich is the devil oh make sure u get it tuned on a dyno with the nitrous to make sure u arent leaning out while spraying- cause thats baaadd newz too
Old 11-04-2003, 08:26 AM   #8
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by shmaptoe
ive seen dynos of the skunk st1 on a d16y8 with bolt ons gain 6-8 hp.skunk claims the cam at 8-10, and more is probably to be had if u have more mods done. if u get the zex cam- dont waste your money on the street one!!! its barely more aggresive than stock. the street stip is what u want. it makes like around 8 or 10 hp i think and idles like stock- it should run u about 250 bucks or so- take the rest of your money and get a cam gear and advance your timing a few degrees to bring your powerband back into stock revlimits and u are well on your way

YOu will never get max gains from cams unless you remove your rev limiter and add more fuel to your motor to compensate for the increased air.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:43 PM   #9
sicones

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
YOu will never get max gains from cams unless you remove your rev limiter and add more fuel to your motor to compensate for the increased air.

so you just raise the fuel pressure, would that be enough??

anyway what does cam timing have to do with ignition timing when you inject nitrous, (well on my kit) it says retard timing 2 degress, I have'nt my car hase'nt exploded yet. I know about the detonation and all that...

on to my question, Why should you not advance the cam gear as much when you inject nitrous????
Old 11-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

just a bit of OT here: how much do the bullfrog cams run ? i think they are the only ones making them for accords so far

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:27 PM   #11
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by sicones
so you just raise the fuel pressure, would that be enough??

anyway what does cam timing have to do with ignition timing when you inject nitrous, (well on my kit) it says retard timing 2 degress, I have'nt my car hase'nt exploded yet. I know about the detonation and all that...

on to my question, Why should you not advance the cam gear as much when you inject nitrous????

Well, if you raise your fuel and put the cam in, you will do much better than just having the cam with nothin else - maybe 2 horsepower. But if you raise your rev limit, you can ride the new cam to its max power (most agressive cams have a max power that is at a higher rpm than your stock ecu will let you go).
Old 11-09-2003, 02:22 PM   #12
shmaptoe

its true that unless you raise the rev limit you will not get all that you can out of a cam, but its also true that advancing cam timing will move the powerband of the cam lower in the rpm range a little. ADVANCED CAM TIMING IS NOT RECCOMENDED FOR NITROUS
Old 11-09-2003, 03:17 PM   #13
cashizslick

its really a good idea to do both
Old 11-09-2003, 07:15 PM   #14
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick

A. Removing the rev limiter is DUMB DUMB DUMB if you don't upgrade the valve springs... there is a reason the rev limit is there...

B. Raising the fuel pressure isn't really neccisary on a cam'd car... generally they do not add THAT much more air... and beyond that the ECU will compensate with more fuel once the o2 starts reading it's running quasi-lean... and if you up the pressure the ecu will just reduce the injector event once it starts reading rich.

I had camS in my 1.6 sentra... bullfrog (they were great I don't care that they were regrinds... they lasted over 60k on my last car till it got totalled (Oh and hondamaniac... they were EXPENSIVE... a set for my old car was 900 bucks with core charge of 3-4 hundred (returned 8 MONTHS later (I sent the cams back the next week))) I was more than happy with the increase...

Also... not every aftermarket cam is going to give you more gains beyond the revlimit... many start to loose power...

Without the springs/retainers I would NOT suggest getting either the strip cam or removing the rev-limiter...

I had the street/strip gude cam and it made a good amount of increase... I never dynoed it but that car RIPPED after I had the cams in it... Also another thing to consider is your idle... with a strip cam it's going to be HELL... lumpy and loud as a mofo... people will ask you if you have a diesel... So if it's a daily driver... again I'd steer clear of the strip cam.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:22 PM   #15
cashizslick

i was assuming that people who buy hiperf. cams also buy springs/retainers. - and it is a good idea to remove your rev limiter so you can take full advantage of your new cams - just be carefull so you dont break a rod.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:31 PM   #16
nonovurbizniz

what I was saying is that it's TOTALLY cam dependant... saying it's generally a good idea to remove the rev limiter when you install cams is inaccurate...

If it's DESIGNED to make power up top then you MAY want to take advantage of it... but you run serious risks having no revlimiter... you could mis-shift and blow your engine VERY easily.

Also even with the springs/retainers... balance of components because a VERY important issue... I wouldn't want to rev my D past 7.5-8k. without a full balance/blueprint of the bottom end...

and as far as breaking a rod... you'd be MUCH more likely to get valve slap or valve float.... which COULD result in a bent rod... but more than likely it would just scar the piston and snap the valve.

Over-reving an engine isn't a good idea... unless you've takin a LOT of things into consideration.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:38 PM   #17
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz

If it's DESIGNED to make power up top then you MAY want to take advantage of it... but you run serious risks having no revlimiter... you could mis-shift and blow your engine VERY easily.

Also even with the springs/retainers... balance of components because a VERY important issue... I wouldn't want to rev my D past 7.5-8k. without a full balance/blueprint of the bottom end...

Over-reving an engine isn't a good idea... unless you've takin a LOT of things into consideration.

Quite right - but it would be a good idea to allow your motor to go into higher rpms to take advantage of the power a hiperf. cam can create - but like you said, its a bad idea to say, rev your stock motor to 9k when it redlines at 8 - obviously.