::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2003, 10:47 PM   #1
ShagginJet

Header... Cat back... High flow cat??

Considering dropping about $100-$150 on one of the above. Just wondering what people have found as an average HP gain when adding the above mentioned to a civic. Want to get the best HP for the cash. I want that exhaust sound and that's why I want to use the $150 towards that instead of other HP adder type mods.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Save your money and get a catback when you can afford it. Then header/cat IMHO.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 11:14 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

^agreed.
By just putting in a header its like taking a mcdonalds shake straw and taping a coffee stir to the end...its gonna be restriced pdq.
As for the cat, its not going to flow a whole lot better than the stock one when the stock exhaust is still on...2 coffee stirs and a mcdonalds straw in the middle...it just doesnt help...
Scenarios: (- is stock piping and = is new high flow part)
Header: =------
Cat: -----=-----
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:21 AM   #4
oc civic

so what about cat back??? are you guys saying that when i FIRST got my catback it made NO differance at all because it still had teh stock cat and manifold.. i know a few fairly high HP cars running stock cats.... which would negate your argument.. i agree save for a cat back and go from there.. then header.. i wouldn't consider the cat unless you are pushing serious power.. its JUST a civic... i mean im not saying it makes NO differance it DOES.. but its not liek some big turbo car or anything..
Old 01-05-2003, 10:40 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

no there would be gains made when its still the stock manifold but new exahust piping because its more flow after than before. that air doesnt have to travel as far in as a compact area. since gasses like to expand the sooner they can the better; but if they have to be compressed again after they are more free flowing...i cant think of a good thing to say now but you get the idea...its not as good. as for the cats...it is just a civic so you dont need to worry about it anyways...unless youre running FI where the "recommended" 3" piping wouldnt fit the stock cat (I dont know any FI civics that run 3" pipe though)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 12:51 PM   #6
blind34_1

for 150 dollars I wouldn't even consider buying a header, cause you get a real crappy quality one. save upo for a dcsports or equiv.

I was reading an article where these guys put a landspeed racing hiflow cat on a 1991 civc hb. I think they said it generated a whole 2 horsepower, not including what other mods it had done to it.

I'd say either save your money and buy a full exhuast later, or just peicemeal it together. Buy a hiflow cat now, do some piping later, then the back end and the header all separately. itll just SEEM cheaper...
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by blind34_1
for 150 dollars I wouldn't even consider buying a header, cause you get a real crappy quality one. save upo for a dcsports or equiv.

you are right... and wrong.. lol used DC headers go for like 125-175... so hes RIGHT in that range... i mean sure it would take some hunting and digging.. but one could be sourced for that much..
Old 01-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #8
nonovurbizniz

what car? Theres a guy in parts trader selling dc headers for between 100-200 dollars.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:16 PM   #9
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
Theres a guy in parts trader selling dc headers for between 100-200 dollars.

echo echo..
Old 01-05-2003, 02:19 PM   #10
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
echo echo..

ya i meant RIGHT NOW he just sold the last one he had for my car D16Z6.

he's got tons of them and i think he's getting more
nonovurbizniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 02:31 PM   #11
oc civic

i think that SO many people are swapping now that D-series stuff is getting REALLY cheap ESPECIALY used.. i would just go used on something like a header... its pipe.. and for the most part in the engine compartment (unlike exhaust that has the chance to get ****ed up) as long as there are no dents or anything i think used would be the rout to take..
Old 01-06-2003, 01:27 AM   #12
ShagginJet

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6483 370&rd=1

What do you guys think??

Old 01-06-2003, 12:19 PM   #13
silver

"IF ATTITUDE HAD A SOUND, THIS WOULD BE IT. A STOCK replacement muffler can be pricey from the DEALER. And it would be a shame to go to Midas or Mieneki. Why settle for less? MSRP on this item is $199. Item is a BRAND NEW ITALIAN ANSA SPORTS MUFFLER specifically made for HONDA CIVIC CRX (2 door) 1.6 16V Si, Esi, V-TEC (1988-1991). I comes with a SINGLE STAINLESS STEEL TIP and gives your car that sporty look and roar. ANSA is the EXHAUST MANUFACTURER for many of your FINE EUROPEAN CARS such as FERRARI and LAMBORGINI. ANSA Part Nbr is HD4987. Give that CIVIC a treat it deserves. Use the "BUY IT NOW" option and get FREE SHIPPING within the continental U.S. Otherwise, S/H is a flat rate of $15.00. I strive for customer satisfaction and will work at it. I accept PayPal or Money Order "

you have got to be kidding me. Okay guys, show me your honda motor expertise and tell me what is wrong with this description, the winner gets something...I don't know what but they will get it. I'll give you a hint...this car is not an nsx.

edit: besides this is an axle back and you were talking cat-back. Go with a cat back. Intake, then exhaust, then header, don't worry about the high flow cat yet.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:31 PM   #14
FletchQ

Well the first thing I noticed is that the 88 - 91 didn't come with a Vtec motor
Old 01-06-2003, 02:10 PM   #15
silver

very good.

this guy is a tool, don't buy anything from him.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 05:48 PM   #16
ShagginJet

He got the text directly from the ANSA site. He's being a lazty *****. What I know is that the SI is the same as my car more or less, so it won't matter. I meant general look and maybe if anyone had heard one of these.