::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
ohiochica

slow starts

ok i have a problem and my bf says i am crazy but i know its a legit problem! my civic starts absolutely fine when i have half a tank of gas or more but the minute it drops to below half tank it has to crank longer to start. it gets worse the lower the gas is. butttttttttt here's the tricky part if it is still warm no matter how low the gas is it will start fine and quick. he says i am imagining it but i am not! it happened this summer and winter. help!!!! what do i make him check? he is a honda tech so he should know but he is refusing to even look at it. grrrrrrrrr
ohiochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 05:57 PM   #2
armyguy5
3rd Gear

if it's a 96-00 it'll probably need an ignition coil, cap and rotor. Civics have up to a 15 second crank when cold. MOst likely need an ignition coil...and that's coming straight from a Honda Tech.
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

holy crap...that might be my problem...hmmm... what about adding a Nology Powercore? That should solve the problem wouldnt it? http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...354997&BQ=jcw2 Its a coil amplifier.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:29 PM   #4
ohiochica

yep its a 2000. thank you i will make him look at the ignition coil. will the mutt tell you if its bad or will i just have to throw parts at it? he keeps telling me teh same thing about crank times, but i really doubt it should be effected by my level of gas in the tank! he keeps telling me its just coicidental, but it cant be coincidental for the past 6-9 months! it does it everytime!

thanks again.

Ohio HST members please read this
Old 01-05-2003, 02:17 PM   #5
nonovurbizniz

it could just be taking the pump longer to prime up with the lower level of gas. although that doesn't really make sense... I have the same problem only I have a msd blaster coil and modifier cap so... it's definatly not the coil (for me). you may want to just turn the key to the "on" position and let it sit for 10 seconds then crank it. that'll give the fuel system to prime up before you start cranking.

Oh and pdiggity... DONT BUY NOLOGY THEY MAKE JUNK.

stick with msd they've been doing it forever and make FANTASTIC products.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:53 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well becky just keep your tank above full in the winter time. it's the condensation that build up in your tank when it's cold. i had the same problem, and since my tank is more than half full at all the times it starts easier and i don't get any water coming out the exhaust either. if the tank goes below half my car starts like crap and it has tons of water out the exhaust

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 08:55 PM   #7
ohiochica

stefan............u r wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off base......na na na na na na na

hey what r doing thursday or friday.........i dont work either day and i can go home saturday am.(stay with my cousin) so...... maybe....IF i feel brave enough i will try the club scene again one oftjose days. let me know (seriously).

Old 01-05-2003, 10:11 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by ohiochica
stefan............u r wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off base......na na na na na na na

hey what r doing thursday or friday.........i dont work either day and i can go home saturday am.(stay with my cousin) so...... maybe....IF i feel brave enough i will try the club scene again one oftjose days. let me know (seriously).

LOL i know for sure i'm working friday and saturday night but please don't give Bryan any ideas. And good luck trying to make me go to a club

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:52 PM   #9
Ty's Si

Quote:
Originally posted by armyguy5
if it's a 96-00 it'll probably need an ignition coil, cap and rotor. Civics have up to a 15 second crank when cold. MOst likely need an ignition coil...and that's coming straight from a Honda Tech.

Wasn't there a recall in the past year for a problem with the starters? That's what I heard from a friend. I wasn't really paying much attention because it didn't affect me but your post just reminded me of it.

You may be entitled to a bit of free work on the starter. Look into it.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:06 PM   #10
ohiochica

lol all my work is free. and thanks i will check into it.

oops, your probably right stefan....but i will still go, i need some "girl" time. he he he...........it should be fun, i normally dont "club" at all but i am so bored here i need to get out and just have fun. and this time brian is NOT invited. he will have to deal. lol