::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2002, 10:09 AM   #1
derock83

Problems associated with turbo's?

Im looking to buy a 96-2000 civic EX... figuring it will have in the neighborhood of 50,000 miles on it, i was wondering what kind of problems i could run into with a turbo. Does it have any negative effects on your motor? such as shorter life, more wear and tear etc... what other mods would i need going to a turbo as far as a clutch handling around another 60-70 horses of power? Is there any additional maintinance associated with turbos? any info is appreciated.
Derock
Old 02-21-2002, 12:53 PM   #2
VTC_CiViC

You will need a clutch, your stock unit won't last long. Set up the turbo and TUNE it properly, maintain it and it'll last you years.

Turbo's don't damage motor's, stupid people with turbo's damage motors.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:52 PM   #3
juvenile

So your saying you can turbo a car with 132 miles on it?
If you tune up the engine and fuel injection. Air filters, and intake?
Old 02-22-2002, 09:52 AM   #4
VTC_CiViC

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile
So your saying you can turbo a car with 132 miles on it?
If you tune up the engine and fuel injection. Air filters, and intake?

Incohereance much? I didn't understand much of anything, but I'll try to decipher what you said. #1- an engine with 132 miles is NOT broken in yet, so unless it came turbo from facory, I'd leave it alone for a couple thousand miles. #2-.... well I don't understand the rest so I'll let you explain what you meant
Old 03-06-2002, 08:38 PM   #5
Incubus

I've heard people say you shouldn't really turbo an engine that's over 100,000 miles on it....I know people do it, but it takes more build up of the engine so that the worn out parts can handle it.

I have almost 50,000 miles on my car........I wanna get a turbo soon so I can enjoy it before I put too many miles on it.

What do you people think about the whole 100,000 mile thing that people say? I take really really good care of my car/engine, so I think it should be fine even beyond 100K miles, but I'd like input!
Old 04-05-2002, 01:49 AM   #6
Ex-Tdo4

INCUBUS

It's all a damn myth bro. I have 96,000 miles on my car and my turbo has been on since 87,000 miles. No problems so far at 8lbs of boost. I have perfect compression in every cylinder and i do my regualr maintainence, e.g. change oil, check coolant, chk plugs, everything should be fine. The key word being that your compression is good. Shit, i wish i had only 50,000 miles on my car now. But o well, imma get my block sleeved and new pistons and rods via JE and Crower, new valvetrain and i'll be set with a new motor =). later man
Old 04-05-2002, 01:30 PM   #7
Boosted3g

You said the magic word "compression". As long as your motor is healthy then i wouldnt worry about it but yes the turbo will in general reduce the life expectancy of the engine, but then again so will not changing your oil. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
Old 04-05-2002, 02:41 PM   #8
Incubus

I most definitely agree! Well, I do my regular oil changes......or I should say Jiffy Lube does my oil changes!
Pretty much any part that doesn't already come with the car will reduce the life expectancy somewhat........but I'd rather have my engine burn bright for less time than just kinda glow for a longer time, if you know what I mean!
Plus, if you've got the money for a turbo setup chances are you could probably afford a new engine whenever your old one blows, or at least that's my philosophy.
Once I blow the engine I have now, I'll probably have another car anyway and my Teg will be mainly race, so I won't care too much if it dies.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:43 PM   #9
Ex-Tdo4

YEAH!

I GOT THE MAGIC WORD OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!! so what do i get????? haha
Old 04-06-2002, 10:14 AM   #10
ill_take_one

How much does a compression test cost? Can you get this done at a HONDA dealer? or just any old place??
peace
Old 04-15-2002, 07:04 PM   #11
Wren57

Key point to ANY car modification is you have to keep up good maintenance... keep it tuned well, oiled up, and keep the belts tight and you are good to go- as long as you dont get too boosthappy and kill your engine...