::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
nonovurbizniz

Un supervised youth

So I've been talking about this with people in everyday life recently and I think it's pretty weird...

Anyone else notice that pre 90's kids were basically TOTALLY un-supervised.

From when I was 4 till adult hood growing up during the summers my parents would basically say play outside and then not worry about where I was or what I was doing till the sun went down. When I got older I did do camps everynow and again but the majority was just go outside and play be back for lunch and/or dinner.

Then theres the car seat thing too... I mean I didn't even wear a belt, much less sit in a car seat till I was big enough for the shoulder belt to be worn (12 or so)... One of my favorite games used to be either laying down on the rear deck of the hatch in my dads saab 900 or drape myself over the back seats in my mom's volvo and wait for them to stop so I could fly through the passenger compartment.

Nowdays (well besided in my neighborhood (ghetto)), people won't let their kids out of their site (unless they're in SOMEONE ELSE'S) EVER.

I don't know which is better frankly as a parent there is NO WAY I would EVER think about letting my kids play un-attended in the woods...

I mean me and this older friend of mine used to ride ATV's in the woods for HOURS with compound bows knives axes etc just doing stuff that kids don't really have the foresight to do safely... we SO almost died SO many times. But we'd figure it out on our own and get home and never tell the parents...

I guess it throws darwinism into the child rearing but I don't know if I like that.

Thoughts? Stories?
Old 04-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
JDMFantasy2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonovurbizniz
So I've been talking about this with people in everyday life recently and I think it's pretty weird...

Anyone else notice that pre 90's kids were basically TOTALLY un-supervised.

From when I was 4 till adult hood growing up during the summers my parents would basically say play outside and then not worry about where I was or what I was doing till the sun went down. When I got older I did do camps everynow and again but the majority was just go outside and play be back for lunch and/or dinner.

Then theres the car seat thing too... I mean I didn't even wear a belt, much less sit in a car seat till I was big enough for the shoulder belt to be worn (12 or so)... One of my favorite games used to be either laying down on the rear deck of the hatch in my dads saab 900 or drape myself over the back seats in my mom's volvo and wait for them to stop so I could fly through the passenger compartment.

Nowdays (well besided in my neighborhood (ghetto)), people won't let their kids out of their site (unless they're in SOMEONE ELSE'S) EVER.

I don't know which is better frankly as a parent there is NO WAY I would EVER think about letting my kids play un-attended in the woods...

I mean me and this older friend of mine used to ride ATV's in the woods for HOURS with compound bows knives axes etc just doing stuff that kids don't really have the foresight to do safely... we SO almost died SO many times. But we'd figure it out on our own and get home and never tell the parents...

I guess it throws darwinism into the child rearing but I don't know if I like that.

Thoughts? Stories?

same, esp the last part. I think that the parents realize that their kids are going to have experiences like they had and that they will learn from them and carry a certain knowledge that they once had. Like my dad knew i was taking the car when i was 15 to drive people home after parties and stuff and it didn't really phase him because he knew i was responsible. Granted he stepped in when need be but otherwise, i've been on my own since a young age as well.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
IALuder

yea my perants let do whatever expecting me to make the good choice. not saying i did most of the time. i will have my kids (god dont let that happen) under complete controll. even if spanking my child becomes a child abuse law.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I can't say that I can relate. Yes, we got to go outside and play, but my parents pretty much knew where we were going to be the whole time. I actually had a pretty strict childhood.

As for kids these days it probably depends on where you live. The kids around my neighborhood run free and do whatever the hell they want. Little kids too (a lot of them less then 10 years old.) I've seen a few almost get hit by cars right in front of my house because they just dart out onto a fairly busy road with cars coming.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I ran pretty free as a kid, but I lived in a cul de sac and my parents were friends with the other kids' parents. As I grew up I explored more of my neighborhood, but I always made sure my parents knew where I was headed and I always made damn sure to be home for dinner. The kids that live around me now don't share the same lifestyle. There have been numerous times where I've almost hit kids that play in the parking lot around my apartment. Their parents (actually, I should say "parent" since none of these kids seems to have a dad) only come out to yell at them. I wish I was kidding. A few of my neighbors actually had words a few weeks ago because one girl who lives next door went over to tell some ghetto slut to watch her kids. This ghetto slut got all outraged (she has 2 kids) and started yelling profanity (in front of her kids) about how much she watches out for and cares for her kids. Riiiiight. Did I mention I'll only be in this town for 3 more weeks? Yeah...that makes me happy. Black...white...hispanic...all of the people here are trash.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
nonovurbizniz

Yeah my neighborhood is the suck now too... Kids TOTALLY unsupervised. Shitty parents the whole deal... there are a couple of good folks around but the majority even if they are good don't watch their kids for shit.

The other day i was walking my kids from my mother inlaws apt. in the same neighborhood back to our apt... and this chick from across the parking lot is freaking YELLING full bore at her child (keep in mind this isn't HER apt... this is her mothers apt.)

"GO THE FUCK BACK IN THE HOUSE I'M SMOKIN'!!"

"WHY YOU CRYIN GET BACK IN THE DAMN HOUSE MOMMIES SMOKING"

I mean I really almost walked over there and fucking berraded her. And it's not even like they have ANY sense of self respect... how could you present yourself like that in public... I mean this is BROAD DAYLIGHT and there are people around... and your gunna yell and curse at your child cuz you want to smoke??? WTF