.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > Battle of the Sexes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #1
Whiteclipse99
4th Gear

Seeking male advice

I'm going to try to make this as short and simple as possible as not to bore anyone and because I know how short a man's attention span can be sometimes. No offense gentlemen.

The background:
I had a thing for this guy Matt I worked with at my first job during our senior year of high school, which was 5 yrs ago. Innocent crush, so I never pursued anything or even told him I liked him. Then I ended up meeting one of his good friends, Ryan, that he went to high school with and I ended up dating Ryan for about a year. After our senior year, Matt and Ryan both attended colleges out of town and I stayed local to attend an art college and I didn't see much of Matt thereafter. Ryan and I ended up breaking up not long after he started college. The long distance put too much of a strain on our relationship. Over the past 3 years I've seen both out at bars/clubs and what not and we sometimes talk and catch up.

The situation:
Several weeks ago I saw Matt at a bar that my friends and I were at. After several pass bys and glances later, we end up talking. I still find him attractive, so of course I do what most girls do best and flirt. Things seem to be going well and he says something about checking out the bars in Philly, which is close to where he now lives, but about 2 and a half hours from me. I agree and ask for his phone number, but we don't have access to a pen and paper so he gets my number instead and puts it into his phone. He tells me he'll call me so then I'll have his number in my phone. About 5 minutes after we leave he calls to give me his number (I take that as a good sign).

So, now the ball is in my court so to speak, but I'm retarded and have issues calling guys. (don't ask ) It's been about a month since I saw him that night at the bar and I haven't called him yet. Here's where I need some male input: I don't really know him all that well and I've tossed around the idea of asking him if he would want to meet up some Saturday and hang out. I want to play it off as casual but still want him know I'm interested, by planning on going shopping at this big mall in the Philly area and seeing if he would want to meet up there.

The question:
As a guy do you think that this is a lame idea and more important, would you even give a girl a chance if she waited a month to call you?
I'm open for any suggestions.

(So much for short and simple, sorry guys)

Last edited by Whiteclipse99 : 02-13-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Whiteclipse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:07 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

My thoughts...

If I was a guy, and I had any feelings for a girl that I had known for a while, I wouldnt care when she called. Hell, when I was single it was fun to go out with girl, friends or not! The only thing I can tell you is call him and see what he says. Worst case, he's busy. If you can, put the ball back in his court. That way if he doesnt call you back, it wasnt really meant to be.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:14 AM   #3
SolPol

Call him
Old 02-13-2004, 11:07 AM   #4
V8killimports

Well lets put it this way.. I dunno if it would be this way for you, but I liked a girl in my senior year in high school to the point I looked forward to school because I looked forward to seeing her. We talked, hung out once as friends with other people, but I never followed up. Eventually the school year ended, I went to college and I have not spoke to her/seen her since. It's now 9 years later and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her and what could have happened which is the worse. If you are afraid of rejection, don't be.. don't regret the things you do, rather regret the things you don't do..
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:39 AM   #5
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by SolPol
Call him

Ya, call him up. Just be like, lets have coffe or something to catch up. . . .
Old 02-13-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i would... cause ive done that befpre

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
maxwell_murder

if i were u i wouldnt call him. if he doesnt have the decency to call u, like any gentleman would do, then he doesnt deserve to receive one. there is someone out there who will pursue a relationship better than this guy. just keep looking. good luck
Old 02-13-2004, 01:45 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Oh just call him. Like you said, the ball is in your preverbial court. Think of the worst case scenario...he can't make it or he's otherwise involved...are you any worse off than you are now? As a guy, I can say I'd be flattered that a girl took the time to call. That said, if you broke up with your old bf due to to distance strains, I don't see how this is much different.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 05:31 PM   #9
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Oh just call him. Like you said, the ball is in your preverbial court. Think of the worst case scenario...he can't make it or he's otherwise involved...are you any worse off than you are now? As a guy, I can say I'd be flattered that a girl took the time to call. That said, if you broke up with your old bf due to to distance strains, I don't see how this is much different.

What he said, word for word.

b
Old 02-14-2004, 01:32 AM   #10
black95gs-t

Personally, I don't care how much time has gone by. If I am still single I would meet up with you 2 years later. Thats me though. By you calling him he will already know you are interested.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 02:44 AM   #11
HndaTch627

i would let this one go, this is a high school crush coming back around, i am afraid you might not be thinking clearly on this one, let's face it 2 1/2 hours is a LONG distance relationship unless you aren't in it for a relationship
Old 02-14-2004, 12:03 PM   #12
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by HndaTch627
i would let this one go, this is a high school crush coming back around, i am afraid you might not be thinking clearly on this one, let's face it 2 1/2 hours is a LONG distance relationship unless you aren't in it for a relationship

Yea and you could end up like me wondering for the next 9 years. What would it hurt? Nothing.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:58 PM   #13
IALuder

youll never know untill to ask and it never hurts to ask.
call him

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:17 PM   #14
DsBlu01CivEX

Erin you already know how I feel about this situation....but I'll write it down for you just in case you forgot.

CALL HIM!!!!!!!!! He's a really nice guy (I should know I went to elementary school with him) and even if he's not interested in a relationship at this point, at least you'd have someone to hang out with other than me. *Just make sure he has some nice single friends * I don't think he's gonna think you're stupid and dumb.

Guys one issue that she neglected to put in her post is----that she is concerned with the fact that she wants to hang out during the day....she would like to go out and hang out at the bars with him, but 2.5 hrs is a VERY long drive at 2am after being out at the bars and dancing and drinking. So, that would mean that most likely she'd have to stay at his place. Now we all know Erin isn't "that" kind of girl....so she feels like she'd be implying that she wants to spend the night if they went out like that. And she doesn't know him all that well.

Did any of that make sense???? For some reason it doesn't to me....so hopefully it does to you guys

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:12 AM   #15
IALuder

i kinda get it.

who cares if he is nice and wants to be with her hell understand.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:59 AM   #16
silver

if you're worried about the issue of staying at his place, bring a friend(of course that could imply 3-some) haha...

grow some balls and call him, just don't let him know that you grew them. you know advances in medicine and technology today can allow you to cover them up or something like that........

sorry

you obviously want to call him or else you wouldn't be thinking about it one month later. you have nothing to lose other than some sleep on a saturday night, and you should be able to control the situation to where he will know if you staying at his place has any "reward" in it for him.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:05 AM   #17
V8killimports

Quote:
[i]
grow some balls and call him, just don't let him know that you grew them. [/b]

Please don't grow balls. Thank you.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:04 AM   #18
Whiteclipse99
4th Gear

^^^ Don't worry, I wasn't planning on it.

Thanks guys for your advice! I think I will "grow some balls" or as my girl friends and I like to say sometimes "grow some boobs" and call him finally. I think there may be some interest there on his part, so I feel a little more confident in calling him. Hopefully everything will go well and if he does reject me, then so be it. Although it will hurt, I'll eventually get over it.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:46 AM   #19
HndaTch627

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
Yea and you could end up like me wondering for the next 9 years. What would it hurt? Nothing.
if you have spent 9 years waiting then you need to just move on

just my $.02
Old 02-17-2004, 07:47 AM   #20
V8killimports

Quote:

just my $.02

Uh I have moved on.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:36 AM   #21
GeneralDzur

Just wait...a gentleman (despite being in short supply) would've already called you. There are other guys out there...but if you really are attracted to him, then make sure of what you're doing because, like everyone noted, 2 1/2 hours is sort of a long commute...

- Dzur
Old 02-19-2004, 07:58 AM   #22
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralDzur
Just wait...a gentleman (despite being in short supply) would've already called you.
- Dzur

not true
Old 02-20-2004, 02:59 AM   #23
silver

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
not true

i concur

you like that word?
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

Old 02-20-2004, 04:45 AM   #24
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by silver
i concur

you like that word?

Yes...very much so. The idea that only a "gentleman" would call a girl is antiquated. If he gave his number to a girl with the assurance she'd call, it's all in the female's hands. Being a gentleman doesn't have anything to do with calling women back unless that's what you said you'd do. Being a gentleman is living by your word...not taking steps to undermine the independence of a female.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 02-20-2004, 06:41 AM   #25
Whiteclipse99
4th Gear

Quote:
i concur

you like that word?

Somebody saw the movie Catch Me If You Can
Old 02-20-2004, 08:30 AM   #26
SolPol

Do you concur doctor?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:53 AM   #27
DsBlu01CivEX

So Erin...have you called him yet???

Old 02-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #28
Whiteclipse99
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by DsBlu01CivEX
So Erin...have you called him yet???

Ummmmm.....yes No, no I haven't! I think I'm going to call him tonight. I know.....I'm retarded.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:20 AM   #29
DsBlu01CivEX

Quote:
Originally posted by Whiteclipse99
Ummmmm.....yes No, no I haven't! I think I'm going to call him tonight. I know.....I'm retarded.

If you don't call him tonight, then I'm not going to go out at all this weekend unless you pay for everything.

My goodness Erin....you gotta stop making excuses not to call him. I can understand last weekend since it was Valentine's Day and all....but what about the 2 weeks prior to that????? I know that I don't really have the room to ride you on this one cuz I hate calling people as much as you do....but I'll at least call a guy when I'm interested in him. Just can't find any that I'm interested in right now

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2004, 03:15 AM   #30
silver

god it's been so long since u talked to him i can see the convo already.

"hello"
"hi, this is erin."
"who?"

all downhill from there.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:28 AM   #31
cashizslick

Quote:

just my $.02

hey dont sweat it - it sux when you give ur heart away and it doesnt come back . . .
Old 02-21-2004, 04:44 PM   #32
DsBlu01CivEX

Quote:
god it's been so long since u talked to him i can see the convo already.

"hello"
"hi, this is erin."
"who?"

all downhill from there.

hahahahaha soooo true....oh by the way....she still hasn't called him. (she won't)

Old 03-06-2004, 12:21 AM   #33
PeterV1228

First, he should have called you.

Second, he lives.. over 2 hours away from you? Isn't this why your last relationship ended?

EDIT! p.s. - girls are so fucking stupid. havne't they learned yet that guys will fuck almost ANY WOMAN given the chance?!!??!!? Why would this girl be sitting there contemplating calling this guy. If the guy rejects her, he is either married or gay. There is no reason why she would not call.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:57 AM   #34
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

^^ Wow...how remarkably inappropriate. First of all, let go of all the bullshit you think you know about how men should always call women. I, for one, would LOVE to see a woman take some initiative and make that first call. Shows some backbone and definitely shows interest. And if you are willing to fuck almost any woman given the chance, I pity you greatly. Sorry...I'm not married or gay but I refuse to fuck anything that moves. Women are NOT your little fucking play toys...they've got brains too...my guess is most have sizeably more than yourself. Pigeonholing men and women into these little categories of yours serves no purpose but to belittle us all. You do realize that relationships are not solely based upon sex, right? Some are...and those are fun but the ultimately important ones are not (at least not completely...good sex life is always healthy). I did, however, get a good chuckle out of the fact that, after reading such a blatantly ignorant post you had the stones to call WOMEN stupid. It's guys like you who make me ashamed to be a man.

Old 03-06-2004, 01:33 PM   #35
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterV1228
First, he should have called you.

Second, he lives.. over 2 hours away from you? Isn't this why your last relationship ended?

EDIT! p.s. - girls are so fucking stupid. havne't they learned yet that guys will fuck almost ANY WOMAN given the chance?!!??!!? Why would this girl be sitting there contemplating calling this guy. If the guy rejects her, he is either married or gay. There is no reason why she would not call.

Again try to make it to 10 posts before making yourself look like a total cockgobbler.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:00 PM   #36
SolPol

Yeah, I waited for 1000 myself. Just my own personal benchmark
Old 03-08-2004, 03:39 PM   #37
GeneralDzur

I've had it with romance and relationships...the last one didn't turn out so well, and now I'm going to....um...pour my life into school and cars...I guess. Two - no, three - years of getting to know someone, only to end up...well, you know the story. I guess God has someone better in mind, or maybe I'll become a Eunuch.

- Dzur
Old 03-24-2004, 03:46 PM   #38
Whiteclipse99
4th Gear

Re: Seeking male advice

Quote:
I'm going to try to make this as short and simple as possible as not to bore anyone and because I know how short a man's attention span can be sometimes. No offense gentlemen.

The background:
I had a thing for this guy Matt I worked with at my first job during our senior year of high school, which was 5 yrs ago. Innocent crush, so I never pursued anything or even told him I liked him. Then I ended up meeting one of his good friends, Ryan, that he went to high school with and I ended up dating Ryan for about a year. After our senior year, Matt and Ryan both attended colleges out of town and I stayed local to attend an art college and I didn't see much of Matt thereafter. Ryan and I ended up breaking up not long after he started college. The long distance put too much of a strain on our relationship. Over the past 3 years I've seen both out at bars/clubs and what not and we sometimes talk and catch up.

The situation:
Several weeks ago I saw Matt at a bar that my friends and I were at. After several pass bys and glances later, we end up talking. I still find him attractive, so of course I do what most girls do best and flirt. Things seem to be going well and he says something about checking out the bars in Philly, which is close to where he now lives, but about 2 and a half hours from me. I agree and ask for his phone number, but we don't have access to a pen and paper so he gets my number instead and puts it into his phone. He tells me he'll call me so then I'll have his number in my phone. About 5 minutes after we leave he calls to give me his number (I take that as a good sign).

So, now the ball is in my court so to speak, but I'm retarded and have issues calling guys. (don't ask ) It's been about a month since I saw him that night at the bar and I haven't called him yet. Here's where I need some male input: I don't really know him all that well and I've tossed around the idea of asking him if he would want to meet up some Saturday and hang out. I want to play it off as casual but still want him know I'm interested, by planning on going shopping at this big mall in the Philly area and seeing if he would want to meet up there.

The question:
As a guy do you think that this is a lame idea and more important, would you even give a girl a chance if she waited a month to call you?
I'm open for any suggestions.

(So much for short and simple, sorry guys)

Just an update....well, I screwed up and lost any chance I had. I never called him because I'm a dumb ass and chickened out. I actually just saw him this past Friday night at the same bar and he was with a girl. I know he saw me but neither one of us said anything to the other. My reason was because I'm embarrassed and feel guilty that I didn't call him. I'm such an idiot.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:45 PM   #39
cashizslick

Re: Re: Seeking male advice

Quote:
Just an update....well, I screwed up and lost any chance I had. I never called him because I'm a dumb ass and chickened out. I actually just saw him this past Friday night at the same bar and he was with a girl. I know he saw me but neither one of us said anything to the other. My reason was because I'm embarrassed and feel guilty that I didn't call him. I'm such an idiot.

Its not your fault. Sometimes, we do all we are able to do and still lose. At least you are not in my shoes . . . . . life is a lot better when your biggest goal is more than hoping to get hit by a falling anvil.

Listen, you are attractive, smart, and from the posts i have read you seem to have a great, fun, and exciting personality - remember those things and hold your head high.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:53 PM   #40
Kyle
elyK

well...i don't agree with cash on this one...i actually think it's all your fault...and you might have had a chance at happiness with this guy....now you'll never know..

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote