.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
solanog

Rattling sound from brake pads

I change the brake pads of my '90 Accord a week ago but the car had some rattles besides the ones from the steering which I've been told are "natural" in this cars (90-93 Accords), by the way is this true or it can be fixed at a reasonable cost?
So this weekend I took the pads off and put some silicone on the bases and edges (were they don't contact the discs) the rattling stopped. Pads weren't genuine from Honda, is this siliconizing O.K or is there other more reasonable method of stopping this noises? BTW discs are new Brembos too.
solanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:55 PM   #2
Azkikr111

steering shakes -- sounds like a bad alignment...

brake pads....i dunno, warped rotors?...but if new, prolly not
Old 02-03-2003, 06:04 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

who told you those rattles are natural ? mine does rattle sometimes, but that is because it is too low for the swaybar

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:36 AM   #4
solanog

Steering makes noises when going on a bumpy road, on nice flat roads it is fine.
The rattle from the pads is also when the road is a little uneven, when I touched the brakes it dissapeared and because pads were new I did that with the silicone and rattling dissapeared, what else can cause that noise? Could it be some wear on the calipers or something that make them loose?
BTW the rotors are about 2k miles, where changed because old ones make the car vibrate a lot when braking now it works perfect from that point of view.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:53 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

for the noise when you are on a unever road is it like a metal on metal sound but very accute ? i had the same problem and saw it happen in accords about the same age as mine it iwas the right end tie rod. after i changed it it worked perfectly. and the sounds were gone. also look for swaybar end links, and all the bushings.

Old 02-04-2003, 09:11 AM   #6
solanog

Arms bushings are almost new (4 months), and all joints were checked and they're O.K. Also the mechanic found that one bolt that hold the steering "housing" was loose and the other was missing, thankfully it was lying on the cover that he removed to check those bolts, so he just picked it up and put it in place.
Noise is like Clac clac, seems to me near the steering column, also with the car parked if the steering is moved from side to side it makes that sound. I'll check that right end tie rod, is that the one that goes from the steering all the way to the wheels? What is the swaybar?
Thanks
Old 02-14-2003, 09:52 PM   #7
jsmith

BTW, does anybody knows how much it would it be to get new rotors and break pads?? I hope not over $200.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:01 PM   #8
armyguy5
3rd Gear

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/nc...&o rg_string=
http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/nc...g=&org_string=

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:28 AM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by jsmith
BTW, does anybody knows how much it would it be to get new rotors and break pads?? I hope not over $200.

i got both my rotors for 35 from the local store, and the pads like 40 from advance autoparts.