::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2003, 09:31 PM   #1
sohc_vtec 2NR

Spark Plug Wires

What exactly is the benefit of getting aftermarket Spark Plug Wires? I mean besides the aesthetics it'll give my dirty engine bay.

Would I gain any HP from an aftermarket wires or is it unneccesary unless I go Forced Induction?
Old 01-17-2003, 10:15 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Unless you are extremely modded or your stock wires are trash, people say that they do nothing but look good.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 01:41 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

at higher revs you get better spark, but that's about it. and don't get any bosch products for your car. they will make it run like ass

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 03:44 AM   #4
slowEJ6

keep em stock.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 03:18 PM   #5
sohc_vtec 2NR

just for future reference..which spark plug wires should i (or anybody) go with? i guess bosch is out of the questions..

anybody else have any input on spark plug wires?
Old 01-18-2003, 03:27 PM   #6
slowEJ6

OEM.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 04:21 PM   #7
02CiviC

Quote:
Originally posted by slow ej6
OEM.

lol...its good advice though
Old 01-18-2003, 04:52 PM   #8
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Re: Spark Plug Wires

Quote:
Originally posted by sohc_vtec 2NR
What exactly is the benefit of getting aftermarket Spark Plug Wires?

Spark plug 'wires' wear out, just like batteries, tires, et cetera. The 'insides' are made of carbon impregnated fiberglass, not wire. Without turning this into a college thesis, just remember to replace them every once in a while. They are designed to fail, and they do...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 05:07 PM   #9
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by sohc_vtec 2NR
just for future reference..which spark plug wires should i (or anybody) go with? i guess bosch is out of the questions...

I tried Bosch plugs in my CiViC and didn't really care for them. I've used Bosch in my domestics for years and they are fine. Don't know what the deal is with the Honda. Feels like I'm 'pushing' it all the time to get it to go. Sorry that I can't be more exact. It's just a feeling, you know?

Anyway, it's always a safe bet going OEM, which is why so many ppl recommend OEM. OEM sucks sometimes, however. When is the last time you saw someone talking up OEM Firestone tires, for instance, or an OEM exhaust manifold, blah, blah, blah?

Having said that, I have been trying different non-OEM plugs in my car lately. The best ones, so far, have been the #318 Champion Copper Plus spark plugs (RC12MC4 to bikers). These things rock! They have a copper core, run great in my CiViC, and are inexpensive.

My philosophy - use copper core spark plugs and change them every 15k-20k miles - NGK or Champion; your choice.
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:20 PM   #10
sohc_vtec 2NR

Thanks for everybody's input...i appreciate it. Anybody else wanna add in?

I'm hoping for this thread to be something like a "Data Database" which i'm sure will help alot of people.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:30 PM   #11
2000 V-TEC

Denso Iradium or NGK are some pretty crazy plugs and wires. . . i have full ignition and when i put the MSD ignition with the new coil, and new distributor cap in along with the NGK wires and Denso plugs, i could tell a huge difference. so if you have that stuff, its worth getting good plugs and wires
Old 01-25-2003, 07:53 PM   #12
shadowracer
1st Gear

Ignition is a big part of the combustion process, in fact it is 1/3 of it. The iridiums are good plugs but expensive at around $15.00 a plug they work great especially with turbo and NOS applications due to the higher cylinder temps. I stand by NGK plugs and any MSD ignition for the money you can't beat em. NGK works great with NOS I knew this first hand, just get a 1 temp range colder and tighten up the gap a lil. As for the plug wires MSD have only 50 ohms resistance per foot. I just recently picked up a set of NGK blue wires and they work pretty well and were about $30.00 less then the MSD's but if I would do it again I would go back to the MSD's
Old 01-28-2003, 01:01 AM   #13
1badcivic

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000 V-TEC
Denso Iradium or NGK are some pretty crazy plugs and wires. . . i have full ignition and when i put the MSD ignition with the new coil, and new distributor cap in along with the NGK wires and Denso plugs, i could tell a huge difference. so if you have that stuff, its worth getting good plugs and wires

Where did you find the full setup? I have been looking for this.