::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2002, 01:58 PM   #1
eXwiLL94

What makes a Fast Driver?

Hey! Some quick questions from a newbie. What distinguishes a driver from being a good driver to a fast driver (quicker shifting method maybe), specifically on a track/straight. Also, what is the purpose of the heel and toe technique and when would you use it? Does this have anything to do with rev-matching? What's rev-matching and why do drivers use that? Thanks!
Old 05-02-2002, 12:11 AM   #2
toykilla

experience. everyone has their own little way of launching. some ways are better than others and some people just do a crappy way really well. its also all about the car, every car is different. i drove my friends RS and it was like I was in a whole different car for a second. I had to get use to it all over again.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:33 PM   #3
Mushroom

a smooth driver is a fast driver. a big wing helps, too.

heel/toe summary: it's more toe-toe nowadays... when you're braking while downshifting, you brake with the left side of the bottom of your right shoe, clutch in with left foot, blip the throttle (rev match) with the right side of your right shoe, clutch out, then roll from brake onto throttle to accel out of the corner.

it's really easy if you're three-legged.

when you get this down, do it while double-clutching. it's a blast.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:37 PM   #4
eXwiLL94

For toe-toe method, wouldn't that be easier with racing pedals? Some more newbie questions. What does it mean when a clutch is slipping? How do you tell when you need to replace your clutch? When you get aftermarket wheels, how do you know the recommeded tire pressure? Thanks
Old 05-03-2002, 02:35 PM   #5
Mushroom

Quote:
Originally posted by eXwiLL94
For toe-toe method, wouldn't that be easier with racing pedals?
Yes, I think it would be - easier if the pedal surface is better, and also the stock ones are a little far apart.
Quote:
When you get aftermarket wheels, how do you know the recommeded tire pressure?
I have no idea! I asked everyone I could think of when I got different sized wheels+tires, and I never got a straight answer. Tire manufacturer said "whatever your owners manual says", place I bought them from said "same % of the max psi (printed on the sidewall) as you were running the original tires".

My civic manual says 29/30 psi with the stock 185/65/14 (max 40 psi, I think?). I put 195/55/15 dunlops (max 55 psi) and run them at 34 psi, which handles well and seems to be good for mileage/performance.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:56 AM   #6
Maxvla

your just full of questions aren't you? lol...

arent the tire pressures printed on most every tire sidewall??
or is it just the max pressure?
Old 05-05-2002, 06:10 PM   #7
RxR_Eclipse

I think it says "recommended tire pressure" and "max pressure" I have 225 50 zr16'zs Dayton ZR and run them at 34psi. At the track I up the pressure to 37 front and 40 rear.(auto x style)
Old 05-05-2002, 08:11 PM   #8
eXwiLL94

When you are on the track, why do you keep your front tires at 37 and your rear at 40? So..... what does it mean when a clutch is slipping and how do you know when to replace the clutch?
Old 05-05-2002, 08:41 PM   #9
4jacks

Hi will, welcome to the boreds dude.

I'm going say experience makes any driver a better driver, and an unexperienced driver should work on the small expereinces first. I learned this the hard way, stick to red light races to start.

Tire pressure is printed on the sidewall of your new tires. A common practice when going to the drag strip is to lower the pressure in the drive wheels a little to get more rubber on the pavement for better trackion. I'm unfamiliar with increasing the tire pressure?!?!?! maybe it has something to do with Auto X ... those ppl actually turn... LOL

Well Happy Honda'ing

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:48 AM   #10
diesel_uk

2 bottles of smirnoff,a pill and a brain the size of a pea ( thats if you race in built up area's)