::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2003, 07:57 AM   #1
mt.biker

wage

How much money do you think you need to make in order to live a nice lifestyle? I'm not talking about huge house, pricey car and trips to europe every summer. I'm talking about the wage or salary you could comfortably live on.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:29 AM   #2
nonovurbizniz

if your single in the NE... 40-60k a year

if you have a wife and kid... 60-100k a year..

with that said... I have a wife and kid and make less than 40... so I'm not too comfy right now.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:02 AM   #3
ShEaNy

45 - 55k a year...
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 11:07 AM   #4
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

40-55k a day. Something around there.....

Honestly my goal is to make more money than I can spend. I may have a tough time reaching that goal though...... But 60k would be nice...for starters..
Old 03-22-2003, 11:09 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i'd say around 55k-70k a year.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
OPAKRACING

hehe, well, in Marin County, id say about 100k-110k a year :o

really expensive houses around here and everything is hella expensive gass too :o 2.30 a gallon
Old 03-22-2003, 11:25 AM   #7
Shot 2 Hel

depends on if your married, have kids, and where you live but here if your single. probly comfortable off 50k
Old 03-22-2003, 12:50 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Single - 45k +. You could live nicely, but couldn't buy everything you wanted.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 01:52 PM   #9
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Single - 45k +. You could live nicely, but couldn't buy everything you wanted.

Agreed.

Opak, things are hella expensive in that area.. But those areas are great to live in..
San Rafael -----to------> Windsor.. Especially in the mountains.. Ah.. dreams away..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:07 AM   #10
spoogenet

It all depends on where you live and how you want to live.

To have a comfy house or apartment, an Accord, no wife or kids and a girlfriend who makes some bills herself then 50k would probably suffice.

If you want to save for retirement or anything then I'd say more is needed.

b
Old 03-24-2003, 09:51 AM   #11
cashizslick

Re: wage

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
How much money do you think you need to make in order to live a nice lifestyle? I'm not talking about huge house, pricey car and trips to europe every summer. I'm talking about the wage or salary you could comfortably live on.

When i get outta college, i better be getting at least 60k.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:56 AM   #12
msvtec14

I'm not trying to sound greedy or anything but I'm just speaking the truth...I think no matter how much you make, you're always going to want more.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:01 AM   #13
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by msvtec14
I'm not trying to sound greedy or anything but I'm just speaking the truth...I think no matter how much you make, you're always going to want more.

Amen!

I remember my first job. I was all excited just to have money. Then I found out that I needed more to buy more stuff. So I got a raise. Then I found out I needed more to buy more expensive stuff. So I got a different job.

Its an endless cycle. At least for me. That's why I said my goal is to make more than I can spend.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:11 AM   #14
msvtec14

Quote:
Originally posted by Addict
Amen!

I remember my first job. I was all excited just to have money. Then I found out that I needed more to buy more stuff. So I got a raise. Then I found out I needed more to buy more expensive stuff. So I got a different job.

Its an endless cycle. At least for me. That's why I said my goal is to make more than I can spend.

Seriously though. It sucks. I got my job that I have now almost 2 years ago. And I always had money saved and all that. And then all of a sudden like in the past 6 months or so, I've pretty much been living paycheck to paycheck and what the hell do I have to show for it? It didn't go in my car. I haven't done anything to my car since before I put it away for the winter. I saved about a quarter of the last paycheck and it seemed like such a struggle. I'm giving serious consideration into maybe getting something part time on the side because I really need to start saving money.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:23 AM   #15
mt.biker

I think the biggest problem is dealing with how much money you make. People always have trouble not spending all of their pay checks. Thats why I like the idea of 10%-15% being taken off before you get the check and having the money put in investments.

I guess 50-60k/year would allow me to live comfortably but that is well below the standard of living I've grown used too. With alot of thinking though I realized I wont walk into a job where i make 100k-150k/year so I will have to start of with less. I was just wondering this because I'm about to be making some serious life decisions that will effect the amount of money I will ever be able to make.

cheers,

Rob
Old 03-24-2003, 10:59 AM   #16
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

It really depends on where you live.. COL varies greatly from one place to another, as does people views of living comfortably.

40-50K a year is decent living to me. Even being married it works out okay. You just have to know how to budget your money and when to say no.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:02 PM   #17
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
You just have to know how to budget your money and when to say no.

That last part always seems to get me.......
Old 03-24-2003, 12:20 PM   #18
msvtec14

Quote:
Originally posted by Addict
That last part always seems to get me.......

Seriously!!! It's amazing how you just feel like you "need" stuff sometimes. Like last week. When I "needed" a new bag to go with new boots that I'll only even use once every few weeks when I wear the damn boots that I "needed" to buy a month ago.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:52 PM   #19
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
I think the biggest problem is dealing with how much money you make. People always have trouble not spending all of their pay checks. Thats why I like the idea of 10%-15% being taken off before you get the check and having the money put in investments.

I guess 50-60k/year would allow me to live comfortably but that is well below the standard of living I've grown used too. With alot of thinking though I realized I wont walk into a job where i make 100k-150k/year so I will have to start of with less. I was just wondering this because I'm about to be making some serious life decisions that will effect the amount of money I will ever be able to make.

cheers,

Rob

It's kinda funny how the standard of living thing works out. My parents started with next to nothing, it's always funny to hear their stories of how they rigged things like furniture and stuff like that since they couldn't afford buying new stuff. But then they slowly got more as time went by and I grew up with a comfortabe lifestyle and enjoyed a good standard of living.

Now that I'm on my own, it's kinda weird. Of course I was used to a certain standard of living and so I want to continue living to that standard.....so I "need" more money now, relatively, than my parents needed when they started off. I don't really need that amount, I just "need" it.

Good thing I started out making a decent chunk of change. But I must say this much....when I was in school I thought I was going to be making a lot of money and be able to afford all this stuff. Now that I'm making that money, it's really not that much. About 50% of my pay is gone before it hit my pocket. Then again I'm trying to max out 401(k) and I love my Uncle so Sam gets lots of money from me too. And with rent, insurance (you bastards!), and car payments I can only afford a small fraction of what I thought I could......I just never really put expenses into perspective until I lived on my own.

b