::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2002, 05:46 PM   #1
civicism95

turboing a sohc

I am thinking about puting a turbo on my sohc civic ex. I know, get a swap first..well one of the reasons i want to is because there arent a lot of turboed sohc's out there...i dont want to be like every other civic...my question is: what do i need to do to the engine to get it ready for the turbo...internaly...it has 111,000 miles thanks a bunch
Old 05-23-2002, 07:57 PM   #2
20civic01

well

it really depends on your budget. i'm not sure what your compression is, but if it's like around 10:1 like i think it is, you should probably go ahead and get differen't pistons and rods while you're at it to get the compression down so you can run more boost. remember that with more air, you need more fuel, but if you're running a small turbo, you might be able to just use like a vortech fmu or something.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:47 PM   #3
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

well w/ the amount of miles that you have on it it might be a good ideal to start w/ the internals and then put the turbo on. I also fee the same way as I have a 1.5 in my sedan and I'm looking to turbo it and before I do I'm goin to build te motor up o that way once I go through and put te boost the engine will hold it w/out a problem.

Look at rods,pistons,vavle spring and retainers.....that should do the trick for you. Good luck and let us know how it goes...
Old 05-24-2002, 11:24 AM   #4
lilrex

first thing first. Do a compression check and make sure the numbers are pretty close together @170 or so i think. Dont worry about all the internals just yet if you have good compression. You will be safe to boost up to 7 psi. Change your timing belt and water pump for sure.
Old 05-26-2002, 05:15 PM   #5
20civic01

well, sorta. i'd definately get it dyno tested or get a chip to correct the air fuel curve for the extra boost of air. last thing you want is to take a good running engine and burn up the pistons and crap.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:35 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

do not get a chip.....if it's even available. get an AFC. it's controllable and tunable.....my 2 cents

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 08:28 PM   #7
xbird

compression test - if good, get a drag 3 kit, or greddy turbo kit, depends on how far u want to go
compression test- if bad, swap engine,or upgrade internals, then turbo
HONDATA, OR AEM after all

lots of info to read over the web boards
www.turbocivic.net, a good website to check out installation and web boards he posted on his web
also on my web www.members.shaw.ca/ywcheung

good luck