::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2002, 10:29 PM   #1
CandiMan

Ok, what's the deal? And yes I did search

Hello, just passing thru due to a MIL on my wifes 96 Civic which is completely stock I might add. Anyway from your search function I found out how to get the codes to flash. It's code 41 primary O2 sensor heating circuit or something like that. Then I tried searching again to find out if there a diagnostic steps to determine if the O2 is really malfunctioning but came up with nothing. Are Civics known to set the MIL with anything related to either 02 sensor on higher mileage engines, I don't happen to have a service manual (OEM or after-market) to show proper dianostic steps. The car has about 77K if that matters, it's been well maintained over the years and very reliable. Since we got it new all I've changed are tires, fluids, and regular tune-up stuff. Heck it still has the OEM battery. FYI, I also tried pulling the ECU fuse for a short while to see if the MIL will go away and it didn't. Should I try diagnosing the code 41 or just pop in a new sensor? I have yet to take a closer look at the harness for loose or corroded terminals, so you never know.

Thanks, MIKE
Old 10-13-2002, 02:53 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

try cleaning your O2 sensor first with hot soapy water. then reset your ECU. inspect the wiring harness going to it. if the insulation goes bad, it will cause a CEL for sure.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 04:30 PM   #3
CandiMan

Thanks

After posting that thread I went out to the garage to see if I could pull the sensor. To my surprise the sucker was pretty tight and that confined area doesn't make it any easier. I even soak it over night with penetrating spray and nothing. The confined area really makes it hard to use basic hand tools because the radiator fan and AC lines were in the way. If shouldn't be necessary to use a 02 sensor socket in-order to get it out should it? Anyway thanks again and I guess I'll try cleaning the secondary sensor also while I'm at it.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:12 PM   #4
ShagginJet

Actually if you have the Hanyes book for your car it'll show you how to test it, via volt meter and just some other common tools. Well atleast for my 89'...

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 10:08 PM   #5
CandiMan

Yes

Even though the Haynes manual probably inexpensive I'll try the hot soapy water first. This car been so reliable I'll "probably" never need a manual for as long as we own it (knock on wood) These FWD 4 bangers are relatively easy to work on, from tune up to timing belts and everything in between. With it being stock helps also, you know the reliability factor lowers the more serious mods you apply
Old 10-14-2002, 01:18 AM   #6
slowEJ6

yeah reliability does decrease when you get into serious mods, but the fun doesnt.

good luck fixing your problem
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote