Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2002, 11:21 AM   #1
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

This is just wrong....

i don't know guys about you if u watched the news or read the papers in the past few weeks but i have seen a lot of 9/11 anyversary. what is wrong with them newscasters, and paper editors. usually aniversary means something to celebrate, something to be happy of, but 9/11 c'mon. what are they talibans ? arabs ? why do they have to refer to it as something like we were supposed to be glad of it (aniversary) i think we should refer to it as a comemoration. just my $0.02. and btw i'm not an american yet.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 12:09 PM   #2
Spazum888
3rd Gear

an·ni·ver·sa·ry
n. pl. an·ni·ver·sa·ries

1. The annually recurring date of a past event, especially one of historical, national, or personal importance: a wedding anniversary; the anniversary of the founding of Rome.

2. A celebration commemorating such a date.

-pwned-

Girls are like internet domain names, the ones I like are already taken.
well, you can stil get one from a strange country :-P
Spazum888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 12:48 PM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Technically it can mean either thing, but I understand where you're coming from Stefan. This stuff is all over the news and whatnot. I know it will never happen, but I wish it was downplayed just a little. This isn't out of disrespect to those who were lost, but to give less satisfaction to those who created this whole mess.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 08:01 PM   #4
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Its to remind us what we stand for! and not let us forget how easy it is to get caught up in everyday life and forget the important things in life. You aught to get use to it, itll be happening for a while.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:17 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

no i'm not saying that we shoud forget that. it's just the aniversary word. i might be wrong but when somebody mentions anniversary my mind goes to something pleasant.

Old 09-08-2002, 08:34 PM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
..my mind goes to something pleasant...

Theres your problem..
Old 09-08-2002, 08:53 PM   #7
mt.biker

dude its a good thing they're bring up.. do you remember the weeks following 911... *mind drifts back and 2001 music plays* people were talking to strangers, less bitching about how hard life was. *slap*
now we're back to "normal" and isn't it just GREAT *sarcasim* to be honest you americans forget to fast! It was so easy to solute your nation but i dont see the same patriotism (sp?) as i did last year. If i was americian i would be in the armed forces right now but seeing how i can't do that i'm looking around to the rest of you *looks* and i see nothing but the same old. wheres your drive to better the world and help your country?

When i heard/saw the event happening on tv that tuesday you know what my first thought was? to get in my car and drive to NY and see if there was something i could help with. If you dont believe me even ask my friends (well the only one you can talk to is dimitry) but then i heard they closed the boarders and well i watch things unfold on tv.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:57 PM   #8
PoleMan14

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
dude its a good thing they're bring up.. do you remember the weeks following 911... *mind drifts back and 2001 music plays* people were talking to strangers, less bitching about how hard life was. *slap*
now we're back to "normal" and isn't it just GREAT *sarcasim* to be honest you americans forget to fast! It was so easy to solute your nation but i dont see the same patriotism (sp?) as i did last year. If i was americian i would be in the armed forces right now but seeing how i can't do that i'm looking around to the rest of you *looks* and i see nothing but the same old. wheres your drive to better the world and help your country?

When i heard/saw the event happening on tv that tuesday you know what my first thought was? to get in my car and drive to NY and see if there was something i could help with. If you dont believe me even ask my friends (well the only one you can talk to is dimitry) but then i heard they closed the boarders and well i watch things unfold on tv.

I dont forget about it, I think about everyday. Don't question my patriotism.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:21 AM   #9
msvtec14

Personally, I feel that the media is bullshit. I was in NYC a couple months after all that went down. There were all these tourists that were all taking pictures of one another right near Ground Zero. What a bunch of assholes. They weren't done recovering all of the victims. That's like going into a cemetary and taking all sorts of pictures. So disrespectful. It's understandable if people want to go there and have a moment of silence and pay their respects but for god's sake, don't take the family vacation portrait there. We live about an hour and a half away from NY. My dad is a firefighter and so is one of my good friends. They went down there the weekend after to help. Neither of them took pictures out of respect but the fire chief did. In terms of the media, they're morons. I was reading an article on msnbc several months back about airport security and the loopholes. This site actually put up a little map marking where it would be the easiest to get a bomb in. Why the hell would anyone do that?
Old 09-09-2002, 10:38 AM   #10
msvtec14

Here is an article I just read regarding all this... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,62415,00.html
Old 09-09-2002, 10:39 AM   #11
incubus86

Quote:
Originally posted by msvtec14
Here is an article I just read regarding all this... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,62415,00.html

You and your news sites
Old 09-09-2002, 10:58 AM   #12
msvtec14

Quote:
Originally posted by incubus86

You and your news sites

hmmmmm. I wonder where I get it from. I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU! Anyone remember that commercial?
Old 09-09-2002, 12:32 PM   #13
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

On a more lighter note. Did anyone see the thing about the football player that quite playing football to join the military after 9/11. They did a piece on him on ESPN (I think.) It was pretty touching. To bad I cant remember his name. My memory sucks these days.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:41 PM   #14
msvtec14

Hey didn't Elvis do that too?
Old 09-09-2002, 01:25 PM   #15
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by msvtec14
Hey didn't Elvis do that too?

I didnt think elvis played football..
Old 09-09-2002, 03:44 PM   #16
Jngrbrdman

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker

Definatly don't question my patriotism either. Its not an option for everyone in the country to just quit their jobs, leave their families, and join the military. There wasn't a whole hell of a lot that I could do about 9/11. Just because I didn't pick up a gun and hunt down the bastard that did this doesn't mean I'm not an American patriot. Before you bunch all American's into one stereotype just remember, "Canadian", that some of us did all we could and some of us went above and beyond. Just because there are some of us that don't wish to dwell on a horrible incident doesn't mean that we aren't patritoic. I don't need the twin towers tatooed on my back to be patriotic. I am just as patriotic today as I was before this happened. Some of us don't need a ground shaking event to remind us of who we are.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:08 PM   #17
cutiepy701

I see both sides of it, in a way I don't think they should make 9/11 a national holiday. I remember very cleary the day this all happened. People were crying at work, we actually got sent home because I work downtown. All I did was cry on the way home and the rest of the day listening to the radio.

That day tore me apart (getting teary eyed just talking about it)
But then I try to think about all the families who actually lost love ones there. And this day would be in rememberance of them. And It would bring everyone closer together, even if it is just for the week following and the day of 9/11. It is so people dont forget what happened, and the people who lost there lives.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:22 PM   #18
Kyle
elyK

guys...I know this may be a bad thing...but for some reason(i think it's how my parents brought me up, thought they seem to car)
I don't care about 9/11 or anything like that...it just doesn't effect me...i don't care...i don't have love in my life, i don't have feelings...

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:57 PM   #19
PoleMan14

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobbo
guys...I know this may be a bad thing...but for some reason(i think it's how my parents brought me up, thought they seem to car)
I don't care about 9/11 or anything like that...it just doesn't effect me...i don't care...i don't have love in my life, i don't have feelings...

You don't have any feeling when you think about all the people who died and all of their families? breaks my heart when i think about it.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:46 PM   #20
mylittlecivic

they should call it a memorial

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:12 PM   #21
Zybach

This will sound bad but 9/11 was good for the economy. Just like Saddam Hussein
Old 09-09-2002, 09:32 PM   #22
Maxvla

4001 posts
Old 09-09-2002, 09:59 PM   #23
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
4001 posts

huh ? in about two weeks i'll get the postwhore crown from whoever has it

Old 09-09-2002, 10:01 PM   #24
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Zybach
This will sound bad but 9/11 was good for the economy. Just like Saddam Hussein

what ? everything went down after that. i remeber how they were speculating how many jobs will be lost, and all the crashes in the market. how many big companies fell afterwards ? and it's not all over yet. on cnn they said 1 in 3 jobs will be lost by the end of the year

Old 09-09-2002, 10:04 PM   #25
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

huh ? in about two weeks i'll get the postwhore crown from whoever has it
:o its a milestone dummy :p
Old 09-10-2002, 04:38 AM   #26
Spazum888
3rd Gear

talking about 9-11 here

Old 09-10-2002, 09:26 AM   #27
msvtec14

Does that guy have teeth? He's upset about the situation. Yeah, I work for a bank and we're having a moment of silence. You know who I feel really bad for? The families of the people that were just physically never found dead or alive. That's so sad. I get scared sometimes because I think they're gonna do something again. If I ever saw anyone trying some shit like that, I would honestly kill them and spit on them. That sounds gross but I don't really care. Who the F are they to come into our country and do that?
Old 09-10-2002, 01:10 PM   #28
Spazum888
3rd Gear

the nation just went to lever "orange" (high alert)

Old 09-10-2002, 01:19 PM   #29
msvtec14

Yeah, I know. I just read it and then I went and watched in on TV on my break. That's odd as I was just saying how I worry.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:25 PM   #30
Spazum888
3rd Gear

i really dont worry... just alittle concerned.

Old 09-11-2002, 09:00 AM   #31
msvtec14

I just think it sucks that on a day where we should be remembering what happened and mourning, we have to worry about these MoFos pulling more bullshit.