::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2002, 07:29 PM   #1
srshark69

CAI Problems

I just installed a Ractive cold air intake. I know It was installed correctly but it seems that my car, when the VTEC kicks in its more slugish than it used to be. Also it feels that when I depress the gas 3/4 it acelerates fast than when it is all the way down. Any sugestions why? Also whats this about flywheels increasing aceleration? Is it worth it to swap to an aftermarket flywheel?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-16-2002, 07:55 PM   #2
Grey16

Does the Ractive CAI have like a heat shield around the filter? If it does try removing it or try a diffent filter with out the heat shield you may need more air into your motor thats just a guess but it may help. Also check you idle and timming. Thats what I would try off the top of my head.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:42 AM   #3
srshark69

Nope no heat shield Gray16, I thought it might need more air to but the new filter is alot less restrictive than the old. The only thing that I can think of is the under the civic there is a scoop that runs under the car and forces air into the stock filter and then into the engine, the after market filter does not have the scoop forceing air into it. I think I am going to try to revert the scoop to force air into this filter, kind of a ram air type deal.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:13 AM   #4
DJZVTEC02

if you mean the resonator box, where the 2 tubes that stick up into your engine bay, that box does not pull air into the intake, there are no inlet holes anywhere, you could modify the box and make it so, but i dunno you should take some pics and post them so we could see whats going on...
Old 05-17-2002, 01:03 PM   #5
Mushroom

Could you be running too lean at high revs with the increased airflow? (Or maybe the engine would compensate for the increased air availability...)

I'd be suprised if a lighter flywheel is worth anything when your clutch is engaged - I'd think it would be a bigger deal when the clutch is in (e.g. revs + or - when upshifting or blipping).
Old 05-17-2002, 02:18 PM   #6
Grey16

If the resonator box thing doesn't work try check www.MMRUSA.com they sale a air box that runs a tube into your wheel well and seals off to your hood it keeps the cold air in the hot air out I've heard good things about. I would try messing with the stock resonator box first. Also if you have your stock intake put that on and see if it still does it if it does then thats probley not the problem. good luck
Old 05-17-2002, 10:51 PM   #7
srshark69

DJZVTEC02, Ill take some pics this weekend. It really sucks though cause im not getting nearly the same push with the VTEC that I used to. Its very depressing, I hear it kick in at around 5400 but no real difference in acceleration.... Im getting pretty bumbed
Old 05-18-2002, 05:20 PM   #8
slowEJ6

reset your ecu....
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 05:36 PM   #9
srshark69

ecu..? What is it and how do I reset it?
Old 05-19-2002, 08:01 PM   #10
Grey16

How do you reset your ECU? Just wondering
Old 05-19-2002, 08:23 PM   #11
srshark69

Again, What is your ECU?
Old 05-19-2002, 09:48 PM   #12
Onyx
1st Gear

The ecu is the computer that controls how your car runs. Just unhook your negative batt lead and let it set for more the 15 min then start your car with out touching the gas and let it run for 30 min this will let the ecu compensate for the new mod
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 01:26 AM   #13
srshark69

k thanks, lets just hope no one drives off with my car.. , I was also wondering if I should keep moding my car or save up for a Supra, I know this is a Honda site but you have to agree the twin turbos are nice...
Old 05-20-2002, 06:12 AM   #14
slowEJ6

twin turbos are alright....id rather go single. if yer under 25, good luck with the insurance every month or 6 months, or however often you pay. at least have the KY on hand whenever its time to pay.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 04:41 PM   #15
Onyx
1st Gear

u must have a good job!
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 02:11 AM   #16
srshark69

heres the pic of the intake.......

so reseting the comp. should fix my problem?.. Ill giv it a try tomarrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg civic15.jpg (5.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-21-2002, 02:14 AM   #17
srshark69

heres the intake.....
Old 05-21-2002, 02:16 AM   #18
srshark69

Fu@#, Im working on it.... thats not the intake, lol
Old 05-21-2002, 02:36 AM   #19
Maxvla

srshark... send you pic to me... i will OWN it... err host it rather.

maxvla@directvinternet.com

or swatchclok on aim.

btw. tripod doesn't host.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:17 PM   #20
PabloHoney

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
I'd be suprised if a lighter flywheel is worth anything when your clutch is engaged - I'd think it would be a bigger deal when the clutch is in (e.g. revs + or - when upshifting or blipping).

Lightened flywheels make your car rev much faster (both up and down). A lighter flywheel will put more power to your wheels basically. A lot of people that get a 9 or 10 lb flywheel can roll on the gas in first and get the tires to bark all the way to redline.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:26 PM   #21
Quist

Quote:
Originally posted by PabloHoney

Lightened flywheels make your car rev much faster (both up and down). A lighter flywheel will put more power to your wheels basically. A lot of people that get a 9 or 10 lb flywheel can roll on the gas in first and get the tires to bark all the way to redline.

A lighter fly wheel will just let you rev your engine quicker while your clutch is in or your out of gear. Unless you are an absolute master at your clutch I would not recomend it right now, because you will fry your clutch. Also a major pain in the arse to install.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:21 PM   #22
PabloHoney

Quote:
Originally posted by Quist

A lighter fly wheel will just let you rev your engine quicker while your clutch is in or your out of gear. Unless you are an absolute master at your clutch I would not recomend it right now, because you will fry your clutch. Also a major pain in the arse to install.

They are not that hard to drive. I have driven both a '95 Prelude and a '94 Probe GT with lightened flywheels (the probe's was a huge change over stock) and they were both really easy to drive. You just have to pay attention to your revs as you slip the clutch.

A lighter flywheel will also make your engine rev faster while your clutch is engaged. Less rotating mass at the crank == more power to the wheels == engine revving faster.