::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2002, 09:24 PM   #1
2000civicexcoupe

Automatic vs Manual

How much horsepower would an auto matic car need to beat a manual car with 200 hp?
Old 05-14-2002, 09:29 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

about the same hp. lately the autos are better than the manuals

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 09:29 PM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Welcome to HS

Your question is a little vague... are you talking about the same model cars? So they'd weigh the same, etc.? Are you talking 1/4 mile race?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 09:30 PM   #4
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

depends on the car, the weight, everything, you cant just say hp. cause tq matters alot too.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 09:32 PM   #5
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
about the same hp. lately the autos are better than the manuals
thats really pushing it

Old 05-14-2002, 09:42 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thGenlude

thats really pushing it

i was assuming both of the cars have the same engine and weight.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 10:56 PM   #7
2000civicexcoupe

hmm, ok
2 cars, same model, same weight, about same torque, quarter mile. One has Automatic one has stick. The stick guy has 200 hp. What how much HP does the auto driver need to beat him. Quarter mile. Hope this helps you guys answer my question.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:42 AM   #8
Mushroom

Same gear ratios, too?

Your question is still too vague. Depends on how good the trannies are - the automatics and auto-sticks in high-end cars now will clutch, match revs, shift and engage in something on the order of 100 msec. Hard to beat that doing it yourself.

Also, the control of the auto tranny matters - "sportier" shift points will improve times with pedal on the floor, but more likely to downshift when you dont really need it.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:03 AM   #9
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

what are the 2 cars? becuase each car has different gear ratios, and automatics will never win off the line over a manual unless its built for drag racing only.(stall launhcer, tq converter etc...) but lets assume a 2000 civic ex manual and a automatic. the manual will get the jump and the auto looses more power through the drive train, id say a stock ex manual and a ex auto with intake woild be a close race, possbly still the manual though. its just too many factors to take into consideration. the manual has a wider area of possible outcomes than the auto, auto you just mash the gas and go at it, the manual you have shift points clutch slipage how fast and hard to shift gears etc etc etc.

Old 05-15-2002, 03:52 PM   #10
BLu3xCiViC

manual are fast at take off....but alot of people (not all) who drive sticks can't race for shiz.....when they try they actually make the car slower........

if the driver knows how to race....same year same model same condition all stock.....manual cars easily can take out an auto

even with granny shift it'll be really close but the manual would still be quicker.......

intake and header would do the trick for an auto.....peace
Old 05-16-2002, 09:22 AM   #11
Mushroom

Quote:
Originally posted by BLu3xCiViC
manual cars easily can take out an auto [...]

even with granny shift it'll be really close

Maybe I have my terminology wrong - isn't "granny shifting" just non-2bleclutching - disengage, shift, engage? How is this going to slow you down on a stright 1/4 mile?

I'm sensing that this is a symptom of "everything I know about driving I learned from F&F"... :o
Old 05-16-2002, 03:43 PM   #12
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
must agree with teh F&F thing

the difference is more then just the fact that an auto tranny has more parts, but its the fact that an autos gears are taller then a stick and also stick doesn't lose as much power as auto.

same, year, model and perfect stick driver i would say 15-20hp more in the auto is need for the stick driver to fall behind. THis would make up for the lost of power to the wheels an auto faces and the fact the gears are taller.

Remember jsut because the car can do 1/4mile in 15.8 doesn't mean the driver car. These times that are posted on car-stats.com are with profesional drivers.

just run the dam cars and find out. in the end to many possibilities to say for sure but i would say 15-20hp more should make a difference.
yup!

Old 05-18-2002, 01:13 PM   #13
Duff Man

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
must agree with teh F&F thing

the difference is more then just the fact that an auto tranny has more parts, but its the fact that an autos gears are taller then a stick and also stick doesn't lose as much power as auto.

same, year, model and perfect stick driver i would say 15-20hp more in the auto is need for the stick driver to fall behind. THis would make up for the lost of power to the wheels an auto faces and the fact the gears are taller.

Remember jsut because the car can do 1/4mile in 15.8 doesn't mean the driver car. These times that are posted on car-stats.com are with profesional drivers.

just run the dam cars and find out. in the end to many possibilities to say for sure but i would say 15-20hp more should make a difference.
Your about right except for those numbers

It's more like a loss of 3 to 7 hp with in the tranny to wheel transfer of power. Also, Manuals have an edge when it comes down to the starting line. Another thing with Honda specific is that their auto tranny's are rather weak and not built for racing. BUT, I've been hearing a lot about turbo auto's and that the turbo is constantly spooling rather then lagging when in a manual. I haven't done much research on that so don't quote me. Auto's are also advantaged when a "torque converter" is installed. This makes up for the loss at the starting line (like what I was saying before how the manuals have that advantage)

Hope this helps a bit. And remember, don't underestimate an automatic. They are just as quick
Old 05-18-2002, 01:14 PM   #14
Duff Man

and BTW Im not automatic biased...I've owned both auto and manual with the same car and I can honestly tell you that the only real difference is the manual is more fun to drive